Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla extending "Early Access" program to all FSD buyers prior to March 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
Email directly from Tesla:

"In regards to the Early Access program, we are super excited to offer the Early Access Program to our customers who had purchased FSD prior to the end of February! At this time, we are currently working on the process and timeline for this exciting feature. Once we have the appropriate information, we will communicate to our customer base! Invitations will be sent out automatically to all qualifying owners. The good news is that there are no extra steps needed on your part to receive the invitation. Thank you again for your email"

Tesla's 'Early Access Program' will reportedly be extended to Full Self-Driving buyers

I think I’m actually happy with not having Early Access:
1. I don’t need to remember about NDAs and can freely discuss anything;
2. I’m Ok with occasional software issues, but this is still a car which drives me, literally. So slightly lower risk of crashes is preferrable to me. I prefer to have some marging of safety (basically, Early Access owners). And I don’t drive just to test my car, I want to use it as a reasonably stable product.

So basically we can classify users as such:
1. Early Access. High risk, NDAs, etc.
2. Early Majority. Medium risk, no NDA. Faster access to new features.
3. Regular users. Low risk, no NDA, stable features only.

I’m basically #2. I think it would be smart for Tesla to let users decide between #2 and #3 (Microsoft does this exact thing for Windows updates).

I’m basically #2. I think it would be smart for Tesla to let users decide between #2 and #3 (Microsoft does this exact thing for Windows updates).

…and what about those of us who would like to be in #1?

Reactions: Ludalicious
I think I’m actually happy with not having Early Access:
1. I don’t need to remember about NDAs and can freely discuss anything;
2. I’m Ok with occasional software issues, but this is still a car which drives me, literally. So slightly lower risk of crashes is preferrable to me. I prefer to have some marging of safety (basically, Early Access owners). And I don’t drive just to test my car, I want to use it as a reasonably stable product.

Yeah, I would love the perk of priority access, which some referral people got.....

uh... that's what early access is, no?

Clarify? Didn't you get FSD? And in the past anyone could ask to join early access. Some got 'invited', some didn't....

I had interpreted the post I quoted as "#2 or #3 are what should be offered to the people who bought FSD", but I may have been mistaken in doing so.

But yes, I did buy FSD, and very much would be ok with running the early builds.

I want what Elon has. Dev car with dev build FSD software. ;)
Okay. Buy 51% of the stock.
I had interpreted the post I quoted as "#2 or #3 are what should be offered to the people who bought FSD", but I may have been mistaken in doing so.

But yes, I did buy FSD, and very much would be ok with running the early builds.
I assumed he/I want to be 'Insiders' and get things early. :D

• Funny
Reactions: commasign
I had early access from referrals. Haven’t heard a thing.

Having four qualifying used to get you "Priority Access to Vehicle Software Updates." It is different than the Early Access Program they are offering which is beta testing before public release of an update. Personally, I would prefer to be offered Priority Access than the Early Access Program but I will be surprised if they do follow through with either.

@brkaus - Do you find having Priority Access actually gets you updates early? I have seen people mention they should have Priority Access but never seem to get updates any earlier.