Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla extending "Early Access" program to all FSD buyers prior to March 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not a preorder if it comes with features other cars dont currently have. It's just a purchase.

Except that there is precisely zero difference between a Tesla with "FSD" versus another one from the same production batch with Enhanced Autopilot. They both have the exact same features. The recent moving of the goalposts and classifying certain features as part of the "FSD 2019" package doesn't change the fact that "FSD 2017/2018" and "Enhanced Autopilot 2017/2018" are functionally the same thing right now, despite the former being thousands of dollars more expensive. Also it's been well over two years since Elon's famous tweet about "3 months maybe, 6 months definitely" for Enhanced Autopilot being left behind:

Elon Musk on Twitter

We still have yet to see a single feature that Enhanced Autopilot won't do that FSD will.

I mean they didntbreally have to do anything. You purchased an item at a set price and then.pitchedva fit when the price dropped. That happens every day.

It's not a preorder if it comes with features other cars dont currently have. It's just a purchase.

List for me exactly which features I have received for my $3000 FSD purchase in 2017.

The answer is zero. Zero features have been released beyond EAP for the original FSD buyers. And I can't even get a refund for items not delivered in a timely manner. So, yeah, we were mad when the price went down. It's not like I have been enjoying FSD features ahead of everyone else this whole time.

And now a car delivered tomorrow will probably get those FSD features before me since they already have the hardware that Tesla told me my car wouldn't need for FSD in 2017. So, yes, I am salty.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Man, i'm really getting sick of this. 1.5 years ago i was the biggest Tesla fan you could find and yet today i'm actually considering just selling it...Oh but wait, i need my spoiler first :confused:

Realistically I'm stuck until somebody has a real competitor. The Model Y was almost certainly going to be my next car but I find myself hoping the Porsche Taycan provides ADAS on the level of what Autopilot does now.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
We're in the same boat because we took delivery of our Model 3 last September and paid $3000 for FSD on top of $5000 for EAP. But I have zero regrets.

I knew that we were taking a chance by pre-paying for FSD, particularly considering that our annual registration fees are tied to the full purchase price of the car including FSD. While I wish that Tesla had not run a "fire sale" on FSD earlier this year, I understand that car prices can change and I had no expectation of a $1000 refund from Tesla. No company is perfect!

I certainly wouldn't run out and buy an EV from another car company. Oh wait, I did - we still have the 2011 Nissan LEAF that I bought new. And I'll take Tesla over Nissan, Porsche, GM, Jaguar, etc. any day.

The bottom line is, we'll most likely eventually start getting FSD features, and they'll be awesome. "Early Access" would be nice, hence my reading this thread, but I wouldn't expect much of it.

And now a car delivered tomorrow will probably get those FSD features before me since they already have the hardware that Tesla told me my car wouldn't need for FSD in 2017. So, yes, I am salty.

Man, i'm really getting sick of this. 1.5 years ago i was the biggest Tesla fan you could find and yet today i'm actually considering just selling it...Oh but wait, i need my spoiler first :confused:

Realistically I'm stuck until somebody has a real competitor. The Model Y was almost certainly going to be my next car but I find myself hoping the Porsche Taycan provides ADAS on the level of what Autopilot does now.

Reactions: landis
Heh same here, but no dice. Let’s be honest early access seems hit or miss even if you earned it via referral.

For me the only early access that would matter is for the HW3+(actual) FSD launch.
Speaking as an owner (x2) that bought before the deadline AND has the referral -- neither has actually been applied to either vehicle. Tesla has really dropped the ball on this carrot.

You are basically saying that even if Tesla does give you the latest updates before anyone else, you will still be mad because it was not done the way Tesla originally said it would be.
Let me rephrase that for you:
When you make promises, deliver them. Don't replace them with new "promises" and expect me to call it good.

No. Your second sentence does not satisfy the first.

I understand Tesla has challenges, but call a spade a spade.

I mistyped the second sentence. It should read "they are just not using the early access program to do it."

Does that change things? I am saying that Tesla is keeping the spirit of the promise, they are just using another method to do it. What's wrong with that statement?

Let me rephrase that for you:
When you make promises, deliver them. Don't replace them with new "promises" and expect me to call it good.

No. It's the same promise! Tesla is still giving early FSD buyers early access to updates, they are just doing it through the "advanced" setting on the software tab instead of a formal invitation to an "early access" group. That is what I am trying to tell you guys! It is the same promise!

No. It's the same promise! Tesla is still giving early FSD buyers early access to updates, they are just doing it through the "advanced" setting on the software tab instead of a formal invitation to an "early access" group. That is what I am trying to tell you guys! It is the same promise!

It depends on what you hoped to get out of it. For you it was acces to early software releases, so you are satisfied. For others it may have been access to the beta program that allows you to submit feedback directly and get to have a hand in the development process (which is what the EAP program was). The "new" promise doesn't cover that, so for some people it is not equivalent.

It depends on what you hoped to get out of it. For you it was acces to early software releases, so you are satisfied. For others it may have been access to the beta program that allows you to submit feedback directly and get to have a hand in the development process (which is what the EAP program was). The "new" promise doesn't cover that, so for some people it is not equivalent.

Thanks. I get that. And I can sorta to see how Early Access might have made some feel like they were part of the development process. But as far as I can see, the two processes are basically still the same:

Old process: Tesla develops a feature, releases it to a small group called "Early Access", gets feedback, then releases the feature wide.
New process: Tesla develops a feature, releases it to a group with the "Advanced" setting, gets feedback, then releases the feature wide to everyone with the "Standard" setting.

Indeed.