Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla extending "Early Access" program to all FSD buyers prior to March 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New process: Tesla develops a feature, releases it to a group with the "Advanced" setting, gets feedback, then releases the feature wide to everyone with the "Standard" setting.
That's not how it works, AFAIK. There's no indication from Tesla that the feedback loop from Advanced has any significant impact, which is in stark contrast to EAP -- unless they are running EAP incredibly poorly.

That's not how it works, AFAIK. There's no indication from Tesla that the feedback loop from Advanced has any significant impact, which is in stark contrast to EAP -- unless they are running EAP incredibly poorly.

I guess this is the crux of the matter. If my interpretation of the process is correct, then Tesla is keeping its promise. If your interpretation is correct, then yes, I can see how people would say that Tesla is changing the promise and not keeping the original promise.

We do know from the release notes that "advanced" will give you software updates before those who select "standard". And we can always give direct feedback to the dev team with the "bug report" voice command. So it seems to me that my process is probably correct. The "advanced" group gets software updates first, they can submit bug reports and then presumably, Tesla would incorporate the fixes before they release the software update version to the "standard" group.

At the very least, "advanced" will be very similar to Early Access in terms of getting software updates before the rest of the fleet.

We have been told this. We don't know it. Trust (perhaps) but verify.

Exhibit A: P85D horsepower.

Fair enough. We haven't had time to really see how the new process works in practice yet since the choice between standard and advanced only just came out in the latest 2019.16 update.

But based on what the release notes say, we can surmise that the process will work something like this:

Update X ---> "Advanced" Group A (ex: AP2 Model S, North America) ---> "Standard" Group A (ex: AP2 Model S, North America)
Update Y ---> "Advanced" Group B (ex: AP2.5 Model 3, North America) ---> "Standard" Group B (ex: AP2.5 Model 3, North America)
Update Z ---> "Advanced" Group C (ex: AP3 Model 3, North America) ---> "Standard" Group C (ex: AP3 Model 3, North America)

It depends on what you hoped to get out of it. For you it was acces to early software releases, so you are satisfied. For others it may have been access to the beta program that allows you to submit feedback directly and get to have a hand in the development process (which is what the EAP program was). The "new" promise doesn't cover that, so for some people it is not equivalent.

EXACTLY. It's two parts: Yes, I want to always have the newest software, but the other is that I'm a software engineer, so the idea that I could give them quality bug reports and enhancement requests and perhaps help the process was EXTREMELY appealing

Some have suggested (and in at least 1 or 2 cases explicitly been told by tesla service people) that bug reports don't go back to Tesla at all.

They stay on the car, essentially as "bookmarks" the service center can reference if you come in with an issue related to one.

That is contrary to what the manual states (not saying your wrong though)...

Note: You can also use voice commands to provide feedback to Tesla. Say "Note", "Report", "Bug note", or "Bug report" followed by your brief comments. Model 3 takes a snapshot of its systems, including your current location, vehicle diagnostic data, and screen captures of the touchscreen. Tesla periodically reviews these notes and uses them to continue improving Model 3.

I'm fine with this *if* Tesla actually follows through. I'm still on 12.1.2, despite purchasing FSD with my car in 2018 before the price drop. Needless to say, it's very frustrating. Where's my priority update?
You at least need to get 16.2 before you can enable the "advanced" download option in the first place, but unfortunately that will go out under the regular random meaningless schedule you've been experiencing to date. After that... well your guess is as good as mine about when they'll actually release these early access versions.

That is contrary to what the manual states (not saying your wrong though)...

Note: You can also use voice commands to provide feedback to Tesla. Say "Note", "Report", "Bug note", or "Bug report" followed by your brief comments. Model 3 takes a snapshot of its systems, including your current location, vehicle diagnostic data, and screen captures of the touchscreen. Tesla periodically reviews these notes and uses them to continue improving Model 3.

I'm not actually sure that it is contrary to what the manual states.

A bookmark in the system (basically saving the bug report with a cross-stamp for the time/date in the system/car logs to look at) would be something Tesla would review when you bring it in with a complaint about the bug in question.

Which is what some folks have been told at SCs is the whole point- you can come into the SC, tell them "Hey the car did this thing I don't think it should have" and the tech can pull the bug report and get quick access to the relevant logs/data.

Given the fleet of hundreds of thousands of cars there's no way on earth there's actual humans reviewing submitted reports fleet-wide at HQ.

Reactions: kbecks13
I'm not actually sure that it is contrary to what the manual states.

A bookmark in the system (basically saving the bug report with a cross-stamp for the time/date in the system/car logs to look at) would be something Tesla would review when you bring it in with a complaint about the bug in question.

Which is what some folks have been told at SCs is the whole point- you can come into the SC, tell them "Hey the car did this thing I don't think it should have" and the tech can pull the bug report and get quick access to the relevant logs/data.

Given the fleet of hundreds of thousands of cars there's no way on earth there's actual humans reviewing submitted reports fleet-wide at HQ.

I don't think they review every bug report but the cars definitely upload data to the mothership. On June 1st, my car uploaded almost 200MB of data and this happens a few times per month.

As people do bug reports, my assumption is that Skynet (or whatever neural network Tesla is working on) processes the bug reports and when patterns arise, those would be reviewed. A bug report in combination with an auto-steer deactivation or ELDA event likely gets a higher priority.

I don't think they review every bug report but the cars definitely upload data to the mothership. On June 1st, my car uploaded almost 200MB of data and this happens a few times per month.

As people do bug reports, my assumption is that Skynet (or whatever neural network Tesla is working on) processes the bug reports and when patterns arise, those would be reviewed. A bug report in combination with an auto-steer deactivation or ELDA event likely gets a higher priority.

The uploaded data, based on autonomy day, is the stuff Teslas AI team is requesting- like "Show me all examples of disengagement when the cameras saw X"

Given the variety of terms people could use in 30 second verbal bug reports they'd need some NSA-level AI to actually be receiving, and processing, all those bug reports in any meaningful manner.

So it'd make sense what the SC guys have told owners- that bug reports just sit on the car untouched unless Tesla needs to specifically pull one for some reason (like you bring it into the SC, or contact service over the app/phone, about a specific issue with a relevant bug report bookmarking the time/logs/data relevant to it.

This would mean all the guys who keep going "Bug report- wrong speed limit" are completely wasting their time.... (indeed, the fact those wrong limits never seem to change other than during mass map-data updates supports that idea)

This is another on the list of "It'd be nice if Tesla would officially give a real answer" things though.

One of the problems with the "your vehicle config" clause as part of the Advanced setting is that you have no idea what that means. They may be targeting a vehicles manufactured on a particular line so even if two cars with the exact same specs and options made on the same day, bought by neighbors on the same day might be considered a different "config" - so in the end, no one has any way of knowing. And thus it will be impossible to prove anything either way.

OTOH, I am hoping that since I really jumped on the FSD flash-sale and purchased on the evening of Feb 28:
Untitled.png

... that I meet the "Customers who purchased FSD prior to March 1" group. And they really mean Advanced+FSD get priority ;)

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-7_7-52-47.png
    upload_2019-6-7_7-52-47.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 35
One of the problems with the "your vehicle config" clause as part of the Advanced setting is that you have no idea what that means. They may be targeting a vehicles manufactured on a particular line so even if two cars with the exact same specs and options made on the same day, bought by neighbors on the same day might be considered a different "config" - so in the end, no one has any way of knowing. And thus it will be impossible to prove anything either way.

I honestly think it’s intentional so that they can not actually do anything and say they are.