Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla finally makes a CHAdeMO adapter compatible with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a steal when viewed as a fast, convenient back-up. And if charging is at e.g. 200 kW it is the same price as a Supercharger per kWh charge.

I think you can count the days until Tesla comes out with a V3 tariff.

Ah.... I will continue to charge at home using my 48 amp HPWC, unless absolutely necessary to use a SC or 3rd party charger. My electric rate is 10-11 cents/kWH here.

Ah.... I will continue to charge at home using my 48 amp HPWC, unless absolutely necessary to use a SC or 3rd party charger. My electric rate is 10-11 cents/kWH here.
Exactly, so don't sweat the headline EA charge. I very much appreciate them popping up across the USA, even if I never use one.

By the way, frequent EA users can pay $4 a month to reduce the per minutes charges ~ 20%.
The highest price tier then is 60 - 70 cents a minute and the lowest price tier (which I think Tesla will fall into) is 18 cents a minute. The $1 session charge as a convenience fee is dirt cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl
Exactly, so don't sweat the headline EA charge. I very much appreciate them popping up across the USA, even if I never use one.

By the way, frequent EA users can pay $4 a month to reduce the per minutes charges ~ 20%.
The highest price tier then is 60 - 70 cents a minute and the lowest price tier (which I think Tesla will fall into) is 18 cents a minute. The $1 session charge as a convenience fee is dirt cheap.
IF you use the CHADEMO adapter at 50 wH then it would be this lower tier (and will take significantly longer to charge, so more money spent there), but if you use the future CCS adapter, you'll be in the high tier and pay 2-3 times what Tesla would charge at their own superchargers for the same rate, say 200wH to 250wH. Definitely not something you want to use often, but a good backup none the less, kinda like filling up at an out of the way gasoline station that charges high prices because they can and you just need a gallon or two to get to a cheaper station.

say 200wH to 250wH
Say kW

The per minute tariff is tricky due to the charge rate taper but lets presume that you are at an EA charger with a (future) CCS adapter because charge is too low to reach a Supercharger. In an LR Model 3 a "350 kW" charger will easily give you 3 kWh a minute for your session up to a 50% SoC. That works out to $1 + 30 cents a kWh for people without a pass, or 20 cents a kWh with a $4 a month pass.

Compare that to 5/6 a kWh per minute with the current CHAdeMO adapter at $1 + 18 cents a minute. It works out to 20 cents a kWh + $1

I'm not seeing the big difference

Last edited:
Reactions: jsmay311
Say kW

The per minute tariff is tricky due to the charge rate taper but lets presume that you are at an EA charger with a (future) CCS adapter because charge is too low to reach a Supercharger. In an LR Model 3 a "350 kW" charger will easily give you 3 kWh a minute for your session up to a 50% SoC. That works out to $1 + 30 cents a kWh for people without a pass, or 20 cents a kWh with a $4 a month pass.

Compare that to 5/6 a kWh per minute with the current CHAdeMO adapter at $1 + 18 cents a minute. It works out to 20 cents a kWh + $1

I'm not seeing the big difference
My apologies, late day without sleep, mea culpa. If you read EA's website and their prices, they will detect the MAXIMUM your car will handle, and using what is going on in Europe the Tesla Model 3 can charge to 200 kW to 250 kW, assuming we can get a CCS adapter for North American Teslas. They will charge you at the upper rate, not at the lower rate. It's unclear what will happen with the CHADEMO adapter, likely will be charged at the lesser rate but then you are taking twice as long to charge and you're still paying more than using a Tesla Supercharger, it's closer to Tesla prices but when it comes to cost you're better off using the supercharger.

when it comes to cost you're better off using the supercharger.
I think so too, but it is mostly due to the $1 session charge at EA locations.

In any case the EA rates are not dramatically higher than Superchargers, and they are a fantastic plan 'B.'
At least they will be if/when they work out the parade of malfunctions so far and if maintenance is kept up.

Reactions: KJD and pscarroll
The Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 50kW by design.
But not because Tesla were somehow short sighted or wanted it to be terrible.

CHAdeMO gen 1 (or whatever they call it) is rated at 62.5kW at 500V and 125A, but since Tesla architecture only goes to ~400V, you are limited to 50kW as you hit the Volts * Amps peak at 400 * 125 = 50kW.

CHAdeMO will in future (well, the standard exists I believe, but in the wild it is still relatively new and unsupported, with most "capable" chargers forced to gen 1 speeds intentionally by the operators) update support higher amperages and voltages both, but this would require a new adapter to be made to support it, which won't really make sense to do so since CCS Type 1/2 would still be better, I believe.

Reactions: KJD
Thanks for the update. When you get time please try the adapter on a Chargepoint system.
thanks for the Vid. We all know it must be coming since Tesla officially released the Chademo adapter last week. It's still VERY Disappointing that it's not officially supported yet in general released firmware yet Tesla is gladly taking your money at the Tesla shop for it.

Reactions: KJD
Can someone with an adapter and Model 3 take a picture of whether it will fit underneath the trunk or in the frunk?

I'm curious where this beast can be stored inside the vehicle without being in the way.
Not too big, should fit nicely inside the trunks cubby. Mine is on order, don’t have a clue when they will ship it.

Fred

Can someone with an adapter and Model 3 take a picture of whether it will fit underneath the trunk or in the frunk?

I'm curious where this beast can be stored inside the vehicle without being in the way.

Here is a picture from this post: Canadian CHAdeMO charging

chademoadapter-jpg.429597