Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla finally makes a CHAdeMO adapter compatible with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The best place for a CHAdeMO adapter is at a public CHAdeMO charger.
The one we placed at Rouses Market in New Orleans has been there for 4+ years, enabling DCFC for all S & X visitors (~ 35kW) without having to detour to Slidell SC.

This is a VERY welcome development ...Looking forward to seeing a successful Check-In by a Model 3!

I have a 3, and an S with an old Chademo adapter. (And I can confirm that the Chademo adapter didn't used to work on the 3... don't ask :)).

Once I get the update to 2019.24.1 I'll give it a go again and report back.

That would be awesome.
My bet is that it's the same adapter. on shop.tesla.com, both 3 and S/X brings you to the same page (same URL) for the chademo adapter.

Reactions: SammichLover
The best place for a CHAdeMO adapter is at a public CHAdeMO charger.
The one we placed at Rouses Market in New Orleans has been there for 4+ years, enabling DCFC for all S & X visitors (~ 35kW) without having to detour to Slidell SC.
So there's someone there nearby 24/7 that is a stewart over it, to keep it from growing legs and walking off? That's the impression I got from the Check-in text.

So there's someone there nearby 24/7 that is a stewart over it, to keep it from growing legs and walking off? That's the impression I got from the Check-in.

I'll quote from the most recent PlugShare check-in...
megashadow13 said:
Tesla Model S
Plug was wet due to rains, but no worries here! Charging very nicely fast at 128mi/hr, 37kw. Went to the courtesy desk and they just ask you leave your license while you charge, fair enough, great charge stop!

Last edited:
That's what I read. It isn't clear from it that that if it is 24/7. How visible it is from the charger, etc.

No, store hours are 6AM to midnight. My adapter is behind the counter at Courtesy Desk inside.

Jeremy the store manager was happy to receive it, make available, and instruct his employees and help with occasional difficulties... Since the charger is courtesy of Nissan, I have not pressured him to place a sign pumping the Tesla Adapter. Think there should be one?

No, store hours are 6AM to midnight. My adapter is behind the counter at Courtesy Desk inside.

Jeremy the store manager was happy to receive it, make available, and instruct his employees and help with occasional difficulties... Since the charger is courtesy of Nissan, I have not pressured him to place a sign pumping the Tesla Adapter. Think there should be one?
Just having that concise info in the Plugshare description should do the trick. That's how most people are going to discover the charger, anyway, I think?

Although if I don't have an adaptor maybe I wouldn't normally have Chademo filter on. I wonder if there's a way to work this in Plugshare so I can discover it?

P.S. Thank you very much for this.

There are some really nice-looking DC fast charging stations popping up around Sacramento lately. (And prettiness is everything, right?) Lots of CCS plugs, and a few CHAdeMO plugs. CCS is much higher power, right? Like closer to a Supercharger? Wikipedia mentions CHAdeMO 2 up to 400 kW coming along; not sure whether that'd be yet another adapter and a further software update.

I'm itching to drive the Trans-Canada highway after I retire next summer, and thus far the "coming soon" nature of most of the Supercharger locations makes that impossible. But this could help!

Reactions: SammichLover
CCS is much higher power, right?
CCS is currently capable of higher power (eg, Electrify America is installing 350kW CCS/50kW Chademo), but Chademo 2 promises 400kW charging (400A/1000V).

Most stations out there now are 50kW max, regardless of connector.

But those peak claims are sort of irrelevant, since they assume higher pack voltages. CCS 2.0 has a 500A limit while Chademo 2 has a 400A limit. With a 400V Tesla pack, that means 200kW peak and 160kW peak, respectively. Less, since the batteries can't take that kind of current at max voltage. At low SOC (~310V), when the pack can take max current, you're looking at 150kW/120kW.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: alexGS
CCS is much higher power, right? Like closer to a Supercharger?
They can be. Most here aren't, yet. They won't be as fast as the V3 Superchargers that appear to be starting to get installed in Saskatchewan, though. A few can be listed at 350kW (I don't know if any exist in Canada yet, I think there's a few in the US) but due to design specs behind that number it can't do that for your Tesla, it'll be limited to V2 Supercharger speeds.

I'm itching to drive the Trans-Canada highway after I retire next summer, and thus far the "coming soon" nature of most of the Supercharger locations makes that impossible. But this could help!
As I mentioned prior, by next summer it'll only save you maybe 10-12 hours total over the L2 charging that already lets you drive cross-country. More than nothing but fairly small in the larger scheme of a trip like that that will take you the better part of two weeks. Especially with a little planning of your sleep to coincide with charging it'll be minimal.

If you turn the trip into a month or more by wandering on branches out a lot on side trips in more remote areas the Chademo will be more helpful than that, but CCS wouldn't buy you anything above.

Although if I don't have an adaptor maybe I wouldn't normally have Chademo filter on. I wonder if there's a way to work this in Plugshare so I can discover it?

I don't think there's a way for users to edit the list of plugs directly except when creating new PlugShare entries, but it is possible to contact PlugShare customer service (via the "Report" link) and they can do it. I did this once myself for a parking garage in New York City that was listed as supporting only Tesla Destination charging, but they in fact also supported J1772. I don't know if the garage had an actual J1772 EVSE or an adapter (parking was valet only), but either way, the garage charged the Chevy Volt I was driving at the time, and PlugShare updated the description after I reported this success. Thus, you could contact PlugShare and explain the situation at the New Orleans site under discussion. They may have a policy about this sort of thing.

Personally, I'd say leaving the plug list as-is, but noting the availability of the adapter, would be best, since adding a Tesla Supercharger plug to the description would be confusing and potentially disappointing to users who expect a true Supercharger station. Adding a Tesla Destination plug would also be inaccurate, but at least users would be more likely to be happy rather than disappointed at the station's speed. Either way, users who don't read the full description to learn that Teslas are supported via an adapter might become frustrated when they see only a CHAdeMO station.

CCS is much higher power, right? Like closer to a Supercharger? Wikipedia mentions CHAdeMO 2 up to 400 kW coming along; not sure whether that'd be yet another adapter and a further software update.

Most CCS stations in North America today are 50kW or slower, the same as most CHAdeMO stations. In the US, 150kW and faster CCS stations are beginning to be deployed, but they're still relatively rare outside of Electrify America sites. (I'm pretty sure that not even all Electrify America sites provide 150kW chargers.) I don't know offhand if faster-than-50kW CHAdeMO stations are currently being deployed. My understanding is that Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 50kW, so even if faster CHAdeMO stations become available, the current adapter will max out at 50kW. In theory, Tesla could develop new CCS and/or CHAdeMO adapters that can handle more power, but I've heard nothing concrete about that, at least not for the North American market. (The CCS adapter for Model S and Model X in Europe exists, or at least is being developed, but that won't do North American motorists any good.)

So, is this adapter exactly the same as the X and S adapter?

I have a 3, and an S with an old Chademo adapter. (And I can confirm that the Chademo adapter didn't used to work on the 3... don't ask :)).

Once I get the update to 2019.24.1 I'll give it a go again and report back.

That would be awesome.
My bet is that it's the same adapter. on shop.tesla.com, both 3 and S/X brings you to the same page (same URL) for the chademo adapter.

The article from inside evs states that he old adaptors will work, and its purely the car firmware that adds support. I'm seriously considering buying one as there are some options near me, but also am interested in seeing what the charge rates/taper vs SOC looks like for this. I get that its limited to 50 kw, but at what SOC can it achieve that? Over the entire range? 10-90%, 40-60%?, etc...maybe some data from the model S/X would inform how it may operate on the 3.

Until then, I'm hopeful someone will get one of these and post some results....incidentally, I've asked my local SC if I could 'borrow' an adaptor for a few days and I can run those tests myself...after I get the latest update that is :)

I don't think there's a way for users to edit the list of plugs directly except when creating new PlugShare entries,
That might be the answer there.

SW2Fiddler , or local clubs or such that do this, can create a new point that mirrors the Chademo/CCS one. It only lists a Tesla plug and the details give the explanation of what it is, the hours that it is normally available, and how to use it. That nigh guarantees it'll show up for a Tesla owner browsing the plugshare.com map, also it doesn't bother Chademo/CCS people with details that they don't really need to know.

Last edited:
Says the poster from SF Bay, aka supercharger central. :rolleyes:

There are places outside California where it's useful. Maybe not as necessary as 2 years ago, but still useful.

Sure. I'm just saying that I've done plenty of road trips out of state and the *one* route that is a pain in the ass due to lack of Superchargers doesn't have a Chademo solution in the bad space, either.