Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla finally makes a CHAdeMO adapter compatible with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are some really nice-looking DC fast charging stations popping up around Sacramento lately. (And prettiness is everything, right?) Lots of CCS plugs, and a few CHAdeMO plugs. CCS is much higher power, right? Like closer to a Supercharger? Wikipedia mentions CHAdeMO 2 up to 400 kW coming along; not sure whether that'd be yet another adapter and a further software update.

I'm itching to drive the Trans-Canada highway after I retire next summer, and thus far the "coming soon" nature of most of the Supercharger locations makes that impossible. But this could help!

They’re currently building Superchargers on the Trans-Canada Highway. You’ll definitely be able to do the whole thing by next summer.

They’re currently building Superchargers on the Trans-Canada Highway. You’ll definitely be able to do the whole thing by next summer.
The section between Winnipeg and Sault St. Marie is still very much in question about being done this year, given ground hasn't even broken yet for anything East of Moose Jaw. If it isn't done this Summer/Fall then it is likely to be at least late summer next year before the SCs for that section are finished and turned on.

Regarding CHAdeMO power capability - the highest current possible today is 200A due to the commercial availability of cables. That means that it is 500V * 200A = 100kW maximum. In the future, someone will make cables with active cooling that will support more current and the maximum power can be increased. The EA sites already use the 200A cables, but have limited them to 50kW. In theory, it should be 125A, just like the limitation in the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter, but I have not verified it. Some sites like the Recargo site in Prunedale, CA have the 200A cables installed and allow that capability to be used. In theory, the Soul EV and the Leaf Plus should charge faster than 50kW there. I have not yet seen an EVgo site with higher power chargers installed that allowed more than 125A on CHAdeMO, but I have only personally tested the Marsh Manor EVgo site in Redwood City, CA.

The section between Winnipeg and Sault St. Marie is still very much in question about being done this year, given ground hasn't even broken yet for anything East of Moose Jaw. If it isn't done this Summer/Fall then it is likely to be at least late summer next year before the SCs for that section are finished and turned on.
Late next year should be good enough. I think the earliest I'd make my TCH journey would be summer of 2021.

Whew!! great news for all those model 3's at ½ charge, driving thru the bad lands on i40, approaching the Fort Smith AR area, either from the east or west, because there is no supercharger there. Been waiting since before the Model 3 wait list opened. Oh wait, no CHAdeMO there either. Baah - never mind ... it's only a major route.
:(

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SammichLover
I ordered it. Now I just need my software updated to 24.1. I don't really need it but it is good to have another option. Also I can get free charging at rest stops in Maryland with it, slower than the Superchargers but a lot of the time I don't need the speed and it starts tapering anyway.

• Disagree
Reactions: Galve2000
Shouldn't these people be charging at home?
Not everyone has a parking spot with accessible 120V (or better) outlet to charge from

Or maybe they do but when they get home their charge rate is too low to have enough range for the next day of work if they're coming back from a long trip, so they need to fast charge on the way home to ensure they have enough range for the next week.

Reactions: LunkHead
Here’s an example of one, I guess you have a choice of which KW to use:

4423D251-E44B-4019-B061-ECF42CD19E2A.jpeg

That’s because they are being installed now.

This one is resent:
Check Out The 350 kW And150 kW ABB Chargers For Electrify America

Fred
Those are ABB, not ChargePoint. These are new ChargePoint units, but I think they are Express 250 (62.5kW max), not Express Plus (125+ kW)

442360.jpg

Image from PlugShare - in the same parking lot as the Laytonville Superchargers.

The key point here is that ChargePoint is now making their own DCFC hardware. All their earlier DCFC hardware was made by other companies like IES and Tritium. The High Power Express Plus system that can split power between pedestals and use the Power Cube that was announced in January 2017 has not been seen in public installations.