Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced an update of my P85D to 2019.16.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I detest v9 so much that I cancelled plans to upgrade to the p100d when they announced to free ludicrous upgrade for existing Tesla openers. I’ll revist upgrading my P85DL if v9 ever fixes the many many problems it has.
I so wish the thought of getting a new Tesla didn't make me cringe. The P100DL with free ludicrous is so tempting, price wise, for me to upgrade. But instead, I'm holding out for a Taycan, really hoping I like it.

It's definitely weird, and kind of hard to explain.

Like, there is a Model 3 base code set... and it uses a lot of a common code set, but changes there won't necessarily affect Model S/X. There are global changes that are handed all the way down, there are list-specific changes, etc. But, when they do a build, that build number is for everything as it falls together at that time, for all variants, etc. For example, I have versions in my collection that are basically identical for some variants across hundreds of builds, but were built as part of a whole build after a change to a particular variant, despite no changes to the others.

Is it likely a single build process based on a given tree hash that produces many outputs? This is really common; at $employer a single build produces MacOSX, Windows, and Linux binaries. I couldn't imagine maintaining different trees for each arch/variant.

Given the pace of growth in the fleet, very soon 99% of Teslas will never have had anything prior to V9 running on them. The amount of resources Tesla ought to devote to the problem is approximately zero. This is pretty much always true for popular high tech gadgets over time.

Stating obvious things is not a popular opinion in this thread. :)

I so wish the thought of getting a new Tesla didn't make me cringe. The P100DL with free ludicrous is so tempting, price wise, for me to upgrade. But instead, I'm holding out for a Taycan, really hoping I like it.

Enjoy - let me know how you like the software and pace of updates on it!

• Disagree
Reactions: Droschke
I’m perfectly fine with them updating my v8 with safety related patches....as long as they don’t push v9 which is not an upgrade from v8:rolleyes:

It sounds simple to just apply the safety related patches on the V8.1 codebase, but everyone who have ever worked in software development know it isn't. You will have to resolve conflicts and then test those new V8.1 builds. This will require a team of developers and beta-testers working on this. Who is going to pay for that?

It sounds simple to just apply the safety related patches on the V8.1 codebase, but everyone who have ever worked in software development know it isn't. You will have to resolve conflicts and then test those new V8.1 builds. This will require a team of developers and beta-testers working on this. Who is going to pay for that?
Tesla of course. If they didn't ship vaporware, they could follow the same modes as other companies which have long lifecycle products. Ship it, maintain it. Deciding to break usability or take featurs away is not an option customers will like. But of course, only time will tell how customers like it, if they do, Tesla will sell like crazy. If not, their sales will slump. I bought 4 new Model S since 2013, but don't foresee buying another one unless I see some major changes, which likely won't happen with Elon in charge.

Just a little note about the Ignore function built into the forum software.

Click on the poster's name and you will be taken to their profile.
At the top right of your screen will be the option to Ignore the poster.
I succumbed about halfway through the thread and it made it much more readable.
I never ignore anyone. Everyone is entitled to their opinion (no matter how wrong:D) and you never know, you might actually learn something from someone with a different opinion.

I never ignore anyone. Everyone is entitled to their opinion (no matter how wrong:D) and you never know, you might actually learn something from someone with a different opinion.
Unless you calling the OP a liar, the fact (not an opinion) that his car was updated against his will proves that your opinion, that anyone can easily opt out of updates, is proven wrong. Nothing more to learn from you opinion.

They don't test anyway. Regardless, why would two entirely different subsystems conflict? Talk about absurd.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but my P85DL hasn't been forced to update to the new firmware. I'm still able to stay on 2018.14.2 as shown in the Remote for Tesla app screenshot I just took right now. I still get notifications that a new software update is available, so it's not like the car isn't trying to update. However, I think my current firmware doesn't have the ability to remotely start the update process from the app. So perhaps my firmware is old enough that it can't be started without doing it in the car.

IMG_5954.jpg

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
There exists a fine line between having an opinion opposite to your own and discussing it - where there is give and take on both sides - and trolling where the posts exist solely to get a reaction from as many people as possible.

Troll posts are characterized their lack of give and take in a discussion and in the deliberate misquoting or deliberate fake misunderstanding of the other's point of view solely in order to provoke a reaction.

Discussion is good. Much can be learned from the opposing side.

Responding to trolling has no upside. This thread exhibits many characteristics of being prolonged by trolling.

Enjoy - let me know how you like the software and pace of updates on it!
I expect it will come with all the features completed and tested. Updates only for bug fixes, safety and security, after proper testing so we don't end up with bugs like the windshield defrost button changing function to frost the window, almost causing an accident. I don't want any new genius features like making things less readable, or auto extend mirrors even after explicitly folding them, even though the car has never before auto-extended mirrors before (yep, happened to my wife, costed me $600 to replace that mirror). Basically, complete the product before you sell it to me, then maintain it. Tesla model of selling unfinished and untested product with empty promises of "we'll finish it sooner than anyone thinks" is what I want to avoid. I also expect them to fix things like obvious screen discoloration within a year or usage, and not have a month long wait for a service appointment. Maybe that's just being spoiled by Porsche, Lexus, even Toyota and Honda. :rolleyes:

I expect it will come with all the features completed and tested. Updates only for bug fixes, safety and security, after proper testing so we don't end up with bugs like the windshield defrost button changing function to frost the window, almost causing an accident. I don't want any new genius features like making things less readable, or auto extend mirrors even after explicitly folding them, even though the car has never before auto-extended mirrors before (yep, happened to my wife, costed me $600 to replace that mirror). Basically, complete the product before you sell it to me, then maintain it. Tesla model of selling unfinished and untested product with empty promises of "we'll finish it sooner than anyone thinks" is what I want to avoid. I also expect them to fix things like obvious screen discoloration within a year or usage, and not have a month long wait for a service appointment. Maybe that's just being spoiled by Porsche, Lexus, even Toyota and Honda. :rolleyes:

Did you reserve and put down a deposit for a Taycan?

When you take delivery of it, tell me what charity you want me to write a $100 check to.

I am of the belief people love talking a tremendous game but few back it up.

Reactions: aerodyne
Did you reserve and put down a deposit for a Taycan?

When you take delivery of it, tell me what charity you want me to write a $100 check to.

I am of the belief people love talking a tremendous game but few back it up.
Nope. Just like with Tesla, I don't buy cars I can't see first. I have in the past ordered custom Porsche, but still test drove one on the lot just like it before ordering. No different that what I did with Tesla by the way, was waiting for a Model X (no deposit, waiting to test drive it first), decided to test drive a Model S while bored at a mall waiting for my wife to finish shopping, ordered it right after the test drive (actually tried to buy the demo, but after taking my deposit they called me back 30 minutes later to tell me it was sold to someone on the other side of the country just before I did, so we transferred the deposit to a new order instead). When MX came out, I did test drive it, and glad I did because I didn't like it as much as a Model S, so bought another Model S (3rd one actually, MX was even more so after 2 years of waiting upgraded to another MS) - this is why test driving is important, MX looked ideal to me on paper, but in practice it didn't work for us (the first ones didn't have fold flat rear seats, and the falcon doors were slow and buggy, even during the test drive they needed multiple tries to open/close properly). I will let you know if I buy the Taycan though, or if something else comes along to replace either of our Model S.

Unless you calling the OP a liar, the fact (not an opinion) that his car was updated against his will proves that your opinion, that anyone can easily opt out of updates, is proven wrong. Nothing more to learn from you opinion.

On that subject, correct. Sure Hank could be mistaken and he actually hit the “go ahead and update” button, but I doubt that he did the update and that it was indeed foisted upon him.

There exists a fine line between having an opinion opposite to your own and discussing it - where there is give and take on both sides - and trolling where the posts exist solely to get a reaction from as many people as possible.

Troll posts are characterized their lack of give and take in a discussion and in the deliberate misquoting or deliberate fake misunderstanding of the other's point of view solely in order to provoke a reaction.

Discussion is good. Much can be learned from the opposing side.

Responding to trolling has no upside. This thread exhibits many characteristics of being prolonged by trolling.

You are correct as well, there has been a bunch of made up *sugar* posted in this thread. But I will maintain that ignoring someone prevents future possibilities as well.

I had a boss decades ago whom I hated. The guy was the biggest (I’ll just go with the word jerk to keep things family friendly) in history. He would lord his money and friends (famous college football coaches, etc) over you and would always try to make sure that you “knew your place.” I didn’t work there that long as a teenager, but there were two things I did take from him. The first was a paycheck. The second was an expression he used. “When you’re green, you’re growing. When you’re ripe, you’re rotting”

To me, that meant that as long as you are willing to learn and improve, you basically still have a chance. Once you think you know everything, it can really only be downhill from there. If I had “put him on ignore” I really think I wouldn’t have developed a life-long passion for learning and new experiences. And I think my life would have been worse for it.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but my P85DL hasn't been forced to update to the new firmware. I'm still able to stay on 2018.14.2 as shown in the Remote for Tesla app screenshot I just took right now. I still get notifications that a new software update is available, so it's not like the car isn't trying to update. However, I think my current firmware doesn't have the ability to remotely start the update process from the app. So perhaps my firmware is old enough that it can't be started without doing it in the car.

Just to let you know, I was previously on 2018.18 for over a year (see first post) so I also did not have the capability to update via the app, yet the FW update was still installed without any action on my part. IOW, you're not safe either. ;)

On that subject, correct. Sure Hank could be mistaken and he actually hit the “go ahead and update” button, but I doubt that he did the update and that it was indeed foisted upon him.

Just to add to this, I've been (initially) rejecting FW updates for as long as I've had my cars, although I do usually install the updates. And despite what most people will assume, it not because of new UI/UX.

I've been in software development and database engineering for my entire career, and I've seen all too many failed "updates" installed too quickly on all sorts of hardware or devices. Some even got bricked as a result (a few Teslas have too). So for my cars, I always take a "wait and see" attitude. I reject the updates until I've had a chance to read what everyone else says about them on the forums.. what new features are great, what got broken, what the UI is like, and of course, how much regen went down with each new release.

Once I'm satisfied that a release is stable and not too much was broken (there is something new broken in every single FW release from Tesla), I'll most likely install it. So, all I can say is that I am very well versed on how to reject all FW updates, and while there's always a tiny possibility that I did something wrong, I really don't think that's what happened here.

I also take the same conservative approach to updates for my phones, mobile apps, computers, software applications, Linux servers and packages, IoT devices, etc. More often than not, there's a new widespread X.Y release, and then days later, there's a X.Y.1 or X.Y.1.1 release to fix what X.Y broke. I'll let all the people who need to update constantly take the hit when a bad version gets released, and I'll just wait for the dust to settle, then install what's necessary.

I think something people are completely missing with Tesla's updates is that installing an update makes the car completely unusable while the update is in progress, and no way to abort it or otherwise use the vehicle.

If nothing else, this should be a key argument against forced updates.

What if there had been an emergency, you go to use your car to get to the hospital or whatever, and bam... it's in the middle of or just started an hour long forced update that you didn't approve and were not aware of? Now you're stuck. I don't know about you, but I'd definitely feel like Tesla would be liable if anything would happen to someone in such a case.

Even in a less serious scenario, where you just need to go somewhere... and Tesla has essentially locked your car down for an hour without your consent.

In no way shape or form is this acceptable. If the updates were seamless and didn't impact usability at all, that'd be one thing... but that's basically impossible to do.

Edit: And no, doing this in "off-peak" times is no excuse, either, as it's none of Tesla's business when you need to use your car.

Reactions: Jeeps17