Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced to open superchargers to unlock billions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
seems like there won't be much choice.

then again, they are projecting explosive growth of chargers in a few years so its a win/win in the long run.

part of President Joe Biden’s plan to blanket the nation with 500,000 EV chargers in the coming years, up from 100,000 in 2021.

Tesla will lose much of its advantage when they make this move. The competition is heating up.
Disagree. Tesla could further inflate its margin war chest with increased out of network inflated pricing further crushing 2 competitors at the same time. They could use those additional funds to double the network crushing other failing charging networks and use that influx of cash to crush the entry price for EV sales to the other car makers. Tesla could be the BP sole supplier of auto and explode profit. Add a few of those mega packs and it will be a profit juggernaut.

Tesla will lose much of its advantage when they make this move. The competition is heating up.
I disagree. Just charge a higher rate per kWr as well as time of day rate for non Tesla's.
FWIW BP just announced that they will be adding over 100k chargers within the next few years.
I wonder when Exxon Mobil will get their head out of their butts and do the same?

I’m conflicted. I see NACS as superior for a few reasons;
  • Easier to use cable
  • Smaller connector size
  • More reliable disconnect (I had a CCS connector freeze to my Tesla adapter. Never had a supercharger cable freeze to my car)
  • More reliable charging experience (no faulting 10 minutes into a charge)
  • Better uptime (if you see 10 stations advertised, you will find 10 working charge stations)
  • Better speeds (If we exclude ChargePoint 62.5kW stations, there aren’t that many 150kW+ stations)
  • Better payment authorization process
  • More locations
  • Better coast to coast coverage

NACS is just the better design. CCS is regressive.

Is there a good post that explains the backstory with SAE and the beef they have with Tesla? It seems like SAE reinvented the wheel, and the wheel they came up with is square. Now they are insisting this square wheel is a superior design that warrants 7.5bn in government subsidies and all consumers should adopt this regressive, inferior technology. If it weren’t for Tesla, we wouldn’t even be talking about CCS.

Why didn’t Tesla open up NACS sooner? Why isn’t Tesla doing more to teach OEM engineers how to implement NACS? Why can’t OEM companies just offer every car with NACS or CCS and let consumers choose what they like?

I take issue with the US government pouring so much money into a regressive design, that is poorly implemented. It really makes me question governments involvement in picking protocols and standards. Am I thinking about this wrong?

I’m in favor of opening up Tesla superchargers, as we need to standardize the EV Industry. It would be great if all manufacturers adopted Tesla's connector now that it’s available.

At the same time, this may lead to congestion at Tesla chargers. If I had a non-Tesla car, with the unreliability of 3rd party charging, I know I’d always go to Tesla. Hopefully 3rd party chargers will improve.

They won't be if there is pricing that discourages use of the SCs. Think of it like the only gas station in town on a rural road (like the gas station at the Kirkwood ski resort). You can buy gas there if you're willing to pay $8 a gallon, just in case you really need to. Its presence makes it where you don't have to worry about running out of gas if you drive that road or go to that resort. But most people will do everything they can to avoid buying gas there because you're paying such a premium, it's basically only for use during emergencies.
If they are taking government subsidies and then implementing tiered pricing to discourage usage of the very infrastructure they are being incentivized to create…well…there’s a word for that.

If they are taking government subsidies and then implementing tiered pricing to discourage usage of the very infrastructure they are being incentivized to create…well…there’s a word for that.
Tell that to EA, which decided to screw over CHAdeMO users by only putting one CHAdeMO connector per charging site. Is there any gov't money going into EA's build or is it all still coming from the dieselgate settlement? I suppose it really doesn't matter though, since the money VW is paying is supposed to benefit all EVs and was a penalty for cheating on emissions tests. But they aren't building a system that benefits everyone, just cars that use CCS1.

Last edited:
I'm agreeable to opening it up, but before Tesla does that they should include 3rd party chargers in their NAV. This way if a SC is congested a Tesla owner can visit a 3rd party charger. They should also sell the CCS adapter at a discounted rate to existing owners to allow them to access 3rd party charging.

Reactions: TomB985
While none of us want to deal with waiting it's probably inevitable. I agree there should be some incentive such as an out of network charge and there should also be a push to add significantly more capacity, both Supercharger and other. It won't take long to hear of confrontations at Superchargers I bet! Some sort of an electronic queuing system would really help with that. Charging availability is probably the biggest advantage Tesla has over competitors. I keep hearing others are "fix'in" to add 1000's but haven't seen much evidence of actions yet.