TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla Full Self-Driving Capabilities in California

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Johntopia, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Johntopia

Johntopia New Member

Hello,

Like very many others on this site, I have a Model 3 reservation and I was mulling over which options to choose when the time comes. The full self driving capability is a pretty cool premise, but I know that full self driving is not allowed just yet. That being said, does anyone know what that option actually enables in California? Is it worth purchasing? I would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

2. Runt8

Runt8 Member

As far as I know (at least on the Model S/X), it doesn’t currently enable anything.

3. Johntopia

Johntopia New Member

Interesting. What is the point then in paying for the capability now? Thanks.

4. Runt8

Runt8 Member

It’s cheaper to pay for it when you order than to enable it later. Also helps pay for the development. Personally, there’s no way I would pay for it upfront - as much as I believe in Tesla and want FSD to succeed, it seems like a giant leap of faith to assume it will be working within the amount of time I would own the car. If they perfect it in 5-10 years, I’ll enable it then.

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. Johntopia

Johntopia New Member

I agree with you completely. Thanks for the help.

6. Tam

Tam Active Member

Paying for something "beta" or something that is not finished or something not working yet is a phenomenon in Tesla.

In 10/9/2014, people started to pay for the first version of Autopilot but they had to wait a whole year until it was finally activated in 10/14/2015.

Some people are willing to pay in advance because they want to grow with the system.

There are now 3 states that allows cars without drivers to roam around as long as they comply to traffic laws but not California yet.

California currently only allows manufacturers' Autonomous testing.

Most in the Autonomous Vehicle Industry think that they can perfect the system by 2021.

Elon thinks it can in 2 years (2019).

• Informative x 3
  7. Bladerskb

Bladerskb Like how many times do i have to be right?

#7 Bladerskb, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Can you stop? you're gonna make this poor guy get hoodwinked out of $8,000 hard earned money.
    when you know quite well this isn't happening.

Infact no one in the autonomous vehicle industry is claiming level 5 by 2021 or even level 4 fsd in all cities.
    Its either Level 4 in acouple cities and/or Level 4 highway only. Elon on the other hand is claiming level 5 everywhere.

Anyone who even remotely believes that deserves to be swindled.

• Like x 1
  8. sitter_k

sitter_k Member

It's like crowd sourcing. Pay up front now to gain access in the future at a discount.

I think ap3 will be required for FSD.

• Like x 2
  9. oktane

oktane Active Member

The model three will not be capable of full self driving anytime soon. Please do not squander your hard-earned money on this option. This is Tesla scam.

• Disagree x 3
  10. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

FIFY

• Like x 1
  11. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

In this market I would just keep the $3k and invest it until it's truly ready.

Congress did recently ease some of the oversight regulations for testing self driving cars though which is some progres in the legal area I guess.

• Helpful x 1
  12. alevek

alevek Member

You're not paying for the capability, you're making a donation to Tesla.

• Like x 2
  13. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Well, even if FSD is not 100% complete, the second the features start diverging from EAP then you'll get those features whereas EAP users will not.

This point may be as soon as a few months away.

• Like x 1
  14. azred

azred Member

A huge factor in my decision to buy or not will be price. I cannot imagine the software will cost even close to $8000 (or $10,000 post-delivery) for the affordable Tesla. Of course, if the price is much less, how can Tesla justify charging more for the exact same product on S and X cars? But until corporate profits come, it's not exactly a great time to cut prices on the most lucrative options.

• Like x 1
  15. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

On the S/X, the FSDC option is $3,000, not $8,000. You are combining FSDC and EAP prices. EAP works now, and in my experience it works very well.

Good point. FSDC will likely not be released as a complete, finished feature. It will be released incrementally, just like AutoPilot has been. Initially, FSDC may be limited to certain roads or specific regions.

• Like x 1
  16. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

This. As features and capabilities deploy, I want to watch and play and experience it. I didn't want to wait until it is complete to experience it for the first time. Just like owning most substantial digital cameras as they improved and savoring each advancement. If I waited until the development was complete, I would still have not bought a camera.

• Like x 4
  17. Runt8

Runt8 Member

I'm betting on FSDC being an additional $1500-$2000 on top of the $3000-$3500 autopilot.

• Like x 1
  18. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Member

I wonder if they can justify different EAP/FSD prices between the 3 and the S/X. That'd be like Netflix charging you by the size of your TV.

You can kind of understand, but it feels...off.

• Like x 5
  19. Tam

Tam Active Member

#19 Tam, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    California allows driving assisting features such as from simple cruise control to all the way to Autopilot but those features must require a competent driver at all times.

My guess asTesla's system evolves, it will be able to stop at a red light and stop sign all on its own, look for an available parking space and park on its own..., those features are legal in California as long as Tesla still maintains "nagging" feature that requires a driver's hand on the steering wheel (currently at about every 1 minute interval.)

I guess: Once manufacturers will be able prove that their systems are so safe that it practically required no intervention from its professional test drivers, California will write a law for autonomous vehicles.

• Like x 2
  20. outie

outie Active Member

What? I thought FSDC was announced last year and everyone was expecting the Model 3 to be delivered to your house autonomously! Is that not the case?

• Funny x 1