Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla gave me a loaner P85D, now I hate my 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
interesting about the quality observations for the P85D

My original Tesla was an 85D #105K ish (same time as the P85D was around)
Now replaced with the P100D #161K ish

and I have been very frustrated at the build quality of the P100D, it is noticeably worse than the 85D for panel alignment, trim fit, rattles etc.

at least the posts here confirm I am not going mad.
but yeah the P100D makes everything else sooo slow. Am hoping I get a new roadster as an upsell by Tesla for a future service ofc

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
...one reason why I looked for a 50 mile car that hadn't made it into a showroom yet... :)

Good that Tesla are sorting these things for you, just a pity there have been so many of them...

The only place I know you can get a 50 mile or less car that has not made it to a showroom yet is to order one new or buy an inventory car. Sorry no discount on most of those if not all.

No pity necessary, you know already, going in, a showroom car that has been in a shopping mall with the doors open is going to get a lot of use, abuse on the inside. That's the reason for the discount. Its been harmless really, as stated actually better. Great loaners. Also now I have noticed at least at my SC (thats two miles away) and showroom you cannot just get in the car any longer. YOU must ask to sit or get in, window open, but the door is locked. I see less discounts coming as a result. Less wear and tear also. Thank You for your reply.

Lol I’m just the opposite I have had S P85+ , P85DL+ and now drive a X P100D ...I got a loaner S 75D and was actually impressed with range (equal to my P85D) and acceleration I still beat most ices ..loaner didn’t have AP but I actually got to feel driving the car again as I mainly use AP on the X:eek:;)

One other thing I noticed about quite a few of 85s is the AC works real well. The BioD in these new cars, while may be great for some reasons, in my car at least the volume of air is quite less. Being in tropical climate the AC flow I would take over BioD any day.

Lol I’m just the opposite I have had S P85+ , P85DL+ and now drive a X P100D ...I got a loaner S 75D and was actually impressed with range (equal to my P85D) and acceleration I still beat most ices ..loaner didn’t have AP but I actually got to feel driving the car again as I mainly use AP on the X:eek:;)

If they uncork 75D, its real good. Yes the range is almost exact to 85s.

Reactions: P85_DA
The only place I know you can get a 50 mile or less car that has not made it to a showroom yet is to order one new or buy an inventory car. Sorry no discount on most of those if not all.

It may be different in Europe, but I've just purchased a 50 mile New Inventory car that has never been near a showroom, yet had the same discount as the ones that have been.

From the sound of things you probably got a better discount to reflect the wear so it is all good, but at least in Europe it seems you can get the best of both worlds sometimes.

Funny - just returned a 2015 P85D loaner this morning and felt the SAME way in our 2017 S60... felt like a honda — and can’t uncork the RWD cars either so I’m stuck with 5.5 0-60!

I have had a couple P85D with AP1 loaners and I have to stay they’re the most solidly-built and best-performing of all the Teslas I have driven thus far — seats, fit/finish, tightness of handling, etc!
I'm still holding out (useless) hope for the S75 RWD uncork!

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
It may be different in Europe, but I've just purchased a 50 mile New Inventory car that has never been near a showroom, yet had the same discount as the ones that have been.

From the sound of things you probably got a better discount to reflect the wear so it is all good, but at least in Europe it seems you can get the best of both worlds sometimes.

Yes we have those maybe 2-4k or more maybe on cars that have little to no extras and 7500 on cars that have a bit more equipment. If you are getting more you are winning the battle. End of the quarter and especially right now, this quarter and the next two quarters end they will be wanting to move some Tesla.

Either way the idea is get plugged into a car that has charging infrastructure so you can use it like real car not a grocery getter. Really drive it, that's the difference we all know with a Tesla. Enjoy your car. You only live once. Thanks for the reply.

I'm still holding out (useless) hope for the S75 RWD uncork!

One will pop up be ready, have faith it'll get done if you really want it. Why RWD? though may I ask? From my understanding and I could be wrong its not as efficient as AWD. Also where you live, you may want AWD. Now if weather is great all year long no snow and little rain then maybe your right RWD. Where I live we can get 5 inches of rain in an hour. Not everyday but we get a lot of rain quick and I feel AWD is real safe.

I actually have a S75rwd thought it was awd loaner , black /black ...low miles it’s on west coast (Palm Springs sc) it’s actually a real nice car ! Ask for it from OA u can probably get I will return Friday :oops:
One will pop up be ready, have faith it'll get done if you really want it. Why RWD? though may I ask? From my understanding and I could be wrong its not as efficient as AWD. Also where you live, you may want AWD. Now if weather is great all year long no snow and little rain then maybe your right RWD. Where I live we can get 5 inches of rain in an hour. Not everyday but we get a lot of rain quick and I feel AWD is real safe.
I meant that I'm still holding out hope someday the S75 RWD (pre-July 2017) gets the same level of performance uncorking that the 75D models (pre-July 2017) received, since I own a 2016 S75 RWD. I still never saw any concrete information on what differences were made to the S75 RWD (post-July 2017) that enabled the uncorking that couldn't be applied to the older models.

In SoCal I have no need for AWD. We don't get anywhere near enough rain for it, and I don't plan to take my car to the mountains when it snows anyways. I would have paid $5k for the extra performance, but there was no way to tell that Tesla would do offer that for the 75D models back then.

In SoCal I have no need for AWD. We don't get anywhere near enough rain for it, and I don't plan to take my car to the mountains when it snows anyways. I would have paid $5k for the extra performance, but there was no way to tell that Tesla would do offer that for the 75D models back then.

Im moving way off topic, my car was one of the first refresh cars, because it was put in a showroom April 2016 build. Told repeatedly it cannot and most likely never able to uncork it. SC last phrase"maybe it already is uncorked" I laughed. Really one minute cannot be uncorked next maybe it already is? Its a mystery the whole uncorking thing. Really I should measure the Zero to 60 anyway.

It's amazing how relative it is.

I wonder when that relativity stops? When it's no longer really noticeable, and you're in more pain than you can handle.

For a few weeks I was driving around in my Jeep, and then a Sprinter Van. One day I had a longer trip so I took my 70D, and the damn thing was so fast off the line it hurt my brain.

It never really hurt my brain before as previously I had simply adapted to it.

While in the shop for over a week, Tesla gave me a P85D loaner which I absolutely fell in love with.

Since I've gotten my 75D back (uncorked) it feels horrifically slow. Like Tesla said... let's cork it back up and slow it down so he comes back.

The 75D used to feel so quick, now it feels like a 1996 Honda civic.

What should I do? Buy a P model or live with the misery of driving a slow car.

Let's look at the performance data ... the P85D is 1.1 seconds faster than the 75D :cool:

P85D Ludicrous subtracts 0.3 seconds. The P100D is 0.8 seconds faster than the P85D Performance.

upload_2018-6-20_20-30-45.png

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
While in the shop for over a week, Tesla gave me a P85D loaner which I absolutely fell in love with.

Since I've gotten my 75D back (uncorked) it feels horrifically slow. Like Tesla said... let's cork it back up and slow it down so he comes back.

The 75D used to feel so quick, now it feels like a 1996 Honda civic.

What should I do? Buy a P model or live with the misery of driving a slow car.

This is exactly why Elon has said, some time back, that all loaners were going to be P100Ds. Interestingly that never happened. :)

All kidding aside, you probably had the P85D for the worst possible length of time... long enough to get used to it, but not long enough to get bored by it. :) And eventually you do. I rarely ever "launch" anymore.

This is exactly why Elon has said, some time back, that all loaners were going to be P100Ds. Interestingly that never happened. :)

All kidding aside, you probably had the P85D for the worst possible length of time... long enough to get used to it, but not long enough to get bored by it. :) And eventually you do. I rarely ever "launch" anymore.

Eventually 3 years from now the 100s will be loaners perhaps like the P85s of today. Really Tesla knew they would be getting back an onslaught of P85....s with guarantee by back and trade Ins etc. These cars never really do belong to us. They belong to Tesla. I use that exact analogy to get them to fix my car now before I trade it in. Goes from Owner to quick sale used for Tesla.

I agree here. the extra 35-65 grand(depending on how much you paid, equipment and where and when you bought your car new) to launch a few times is quite a bit to show your friends how great it is. I saw a P100DL maxed out in Georgia, on the lot before sales tax it was $168,900 just delivered on the sticker. GA has some new car tax that is added on the stickers by the manufacturer, I guess that pumps up the standard price before add ons. Thats some big bucks for 100 launches perhaps. You only live once.