Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla gave me a loaner P85D, now I hate my 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While in the shop for over a week, Tesla gave me a P85D loaner which I absolutely fell in love with.

Since I've gotten my 75D back (uncorked) it feels horrifically slow. Like Tesla said... let's cork it back up and slow it down so he comes back.

The 75D used to feel so quick, now it feels like a 1996 Honda civic.

What should I do? Buy a P model or live with the misery of driving a slow car.

While in the shop for over a week, Tesla gave me a P85D loaner which I absolutely fell in love with.

Since I've gotten my 75D back (uncorked) it feels horrifically slow. Like Tesla said... let's cork it back up and slow it down so he comes back.

The 75D used to feel so quick, now it feels like a 1996 Honda civic.

What should I do? Buy a P model or live with the misery of driving a slow car.

Get a P. ;)

Just curious, but do you think the P85D loaner has more road noise than your 75D?

Funny - just returned a 2015 P85D loaner this morning and felt the SAME way in our 2017 S60... felt like a honda — and can’t uncork the RWD cars either so I’m stuck with 5.5 0-60!

I have had a couple P85D with AP1 loaners and I have to stay they’re the most solidly-built and best-performing of all the Teslas I have driven thus far — seats, fit/finish, tightness of handling, etc!

Give it a few hours, it passes. Your 60 or 75 will feel nice and fast again. I used to own the original 60 and get P loaners, the car felt broken slow for the first drive or two, then it felt great again. We have both P85D and 75D, the difference to 75D is much less than to the original 60 (which was 5.9s to 60 IIRC, vs. 4.2 on 75D), but again when switching it also feels slow for a first for a short time, then no problems. :)

Believe it or not, I had a P loaner and never even turned on Insane mode or Ludicrous mode if it had it -- I realized later I should have done so, but just drove the car and was pleased to get my own (70D) back.
Be wary of lusting for "things...."

I have a 75D. I have had six loaners for reasons only due to the fact it was a showroom car with less then 50 miles on it of course and quite a few items needed replacing with time under warranty, mostly for appearance. The latest trunk latch-would not open even from the inside. Saw-zall time from the inside and some new trim pieces. Yep sometimes you gotta get nasty I guess. Thats 3500 extra uses in the showroom that spelled and early end to that item. Seats Driver side twice so far, seat controllers, trim pieces worn, New Matts, New Center console, New Emergency Brake Calipers per recall.

I have had Signature Red Model S P85+ as I recall (a holy grail car in my book). It was the first and it was a great looking car. Ate juice though. Was fast, but chewed on the KWs It was an appropriate loaner for all the right reasons. The pedals in that car spaced I think differently then all the other cars. Closer perhaps. 3 weeks I had that car for all the initial fixes to my car.
Model X 75D Demo 1400 miles Midnight Gray. Hated the falcon doors really not practical at all and the auto opening front doors. I used to jump just walking up to the car as the doors would open by themselves.
(2) P85Ds and (2) 85s White, Dark Blue and (2) Black. All had yacht floor which is great for ladies bags I guess. Two of them were in great shape. All of them were fast, two had insane mode. They are built like brick s...houses. Real durable I think.

Most of them have had new motors replaced perhaps and other things maybe as Tesla I am sure picks the best for Dealer cars.

I get back in my 75D every time, its smooth, quiet and certainly fast enough for the real world. Frankly, I love it. It has the secret sauce that makes me smile at every light. It keeps me on my toes thinking and figuring on trips. DO I have to be careful at times, you bet, it keeps me on my toes. It keeps me busy. Would I like the extra juice from 100D. Yes, but for what I paid I got a great car so far(the heart is strong) and some real great loaners. Who can say they used a Sig for 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: P85_DA and croman
I have a 75D. I have had six loaners for reasons only due to the fact it was a showroom car with less then 50 miles on it of course and quite a few items needed replacing with time under warranty, mostly for appearance. The latest trunk latch-would not open even from the inside. Saw-zall time from the inside and some new trim pieces. Yep sometimes you gotta get nasty I guess. Thats 3500 extra uses in the showroom that spelled and early end to that item.

...one reason why I looked for a 50 mile car that hadn't made it into a showroom yet... :)

Good that Tesla are sorting these things for you, just a pity there have been so many of them...