Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla gave me a loaner P85D, now I hate my 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You'll always want something better, I think it is in our nature. I absolutely love my P85D, but even I keep fantasizing about Ludicrous mode.

That said I'm still not used to its speed yet, it's both insane (by definition) and amazing. The ability to overtake pretty much every car on the road is a great feeling. Maybe I'm still in the honeymoon phase as I've had it only for two months.

One thing I will tell you is experiencing passenger reactions to launching it from a stop is something I can never see myself getting tired of. Plus, if you need a quick shot of adrenaline before your next coffee a quick stomp on the pedal is an easy way to get your heart rate up.

I agree here. the extra 35-65 grand(depending on how much you paid, equipment and where and when you bought your car new) to launch a few times is quite a bit to show your friends how great it is. ...Thats some big bucks for 100 launches perhaps. You only live once.

That, my friend is where you are wrong. I hardly ever "launch" it, for me that is not what the car is about in daily use.

I enjoy it every day for the colossal mid range shove that it has.
30-70+ is where the P100D excels over all its siblings by a huge margin and ofc anything else on the road.
As a daytoday driving and overtaking machine with instant throttle response it is peerless.

I still put it back to Sport mode from time to time and the accelerator becomes an accelerator again, just like other Teslas.
Switch it back to Ludicrous though and the pedal essentially just sets the speed all but instantaneously, it's a very different and highly rewarding sensation.

At a price for sure, but highly addictive nonetheless.

Power wise, absolutely, I got a loaner P85D for my uncorked 75 as well and I felt it, really felt it. It was terrific.

But the rest of the car sort of left me wanting. I love the center console and find it immensely useful, having a big gaping hole there was a bit annoying. The steering was somehow quite different and not as "easy to drive" as my 75 around the city, I felt it needed a bit more effort. The leather seats were not as comfortable as the multi pattern seats in my car. The whining of the motors was also a lot more pronounced

Lots of minor things compared to how much it felt like taking off in jet, but I think beyond a few fun runs now and then, day to day living seems nicer with the newer cars.

I feel as though I am in a good position to comment on this subject. I bought a rwd 75 just before the uncork was announced, and made the mistake of driving a friends p85d. The difference is night and day. The power off the line and the midrange passing power was a total game changer (I also much preferred ap1at the time). Shortly there after I traded my ms75 in and was lucky enough to snag a P85d with ludicrous and performance suspension. Best decision ever. The P85D is simply awesome. I never get bored of the power, especially highway passing, which is light years faster than my 75, and slamming on the gas mid corner, turning onto a highway on ramp never gets old. I’ve put almost 15,000 miles on the car since getting it, and I grin every time I drive it. The novelty has not worn off a bit.

I know an uncorked 75d this is a fair bit faster than my old 75 Rwd, however I’ve had one as a loaner, as well as an 85 and model X100D since getting my P85D and they all feel notably slower in comparison.

As far as feeling dated, this hasn’t been much of an issue for me. I did install the factory center console and LTE upgrade when I got the car, and the ride, with the air suspension is great (my old car was springs). I will admit that the hum from the front motor was a little annoying at first, but I don’t notice it anymore. I don’t notice any difference in road noise. Build quality is fine and I actually prefer the recaro nextgen seats to the newer Tesla ones.

I suppose when the AP2.0 features start rolling out, especially if they take advantage of all the cameras with 360 view and Blindspot detection, my car will start to feel a little dated, but I bet that I will get over that in about 2.8 seconds.