Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla goes over cliff-pacific-coast-highway-California-miracle survivors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Core
$54,645 and no tax credit. hmm vs Model Y
It's $53,550 for the base XC40 Recharge now. They're following the herd to match the IRS limit. An as-yet unnamed smaller and cheaper model is coming this summer too. (My MY is still newish, but when it's time to replace our older MX we'll consider the big EX90.)

• Informative
Reactions: WyoDude and vickh
perfect. Now I wish IRS had set max to $52K ;)

But does the XC40 meet the other criteria for credit? Funny that I plan on test driving a used X at Volvo dealer . I will do the same w/ XC if it does.
It doesn't qualify for the credit yet, sorry, I was just coming back here to add that after looking at the new IRS list. Probably it will if and when they start production in the USA. On the other hand, if they leave it at this price, and if the Model Y price goes up to take advantage of the new $80K limit, then with or without a credit it may still be a good deal for a while.

Reactions: WyoDude
perfect. Now I wish IRS had set max to $52K ;)

But does the XC40 meet the other criteria for credit? Funny that I plan on test driving a used X at Volvo dealer . I will do the same w/ XC if it does.
The new EX90 should qualify when it comes out since it will be made in the US and some trim levels will be under 80k.

Y will probably still be a better deal. But these are competing on different levels and the EX90 will be a true 3rd row vehicle. However, based on my experience with Volvo I’m interested in a future EV model as they make improvements. Build quality and interior are very good from my experience.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Cornerstone of the US justice system as described by television. Admittedly my criminal justice degree is only a bachelors from a state school (so not infallible), but from my understanding insanity is very rarely claimed and even more rarely allowed in the courts.

GTK. Admittedly the ones the make the news are the insane type so it's a biased sample

bachelors from a state school can be great, depending on state and good value too. Trust me Ivy league isn't all that it's cracked up to be..

The wife does not want the authorities to prosecute the husband. Apparently, this is fairly common amongst family victims.

Saw a video of the rescue scene, which shows where the site in more detail. here's the turnout from the road. You can see the new guardrail that the car had to drive around:
by default 2023-02-15 at 11.43.18 AM.jpg

And, the end of the guardrail, and the sharp turn you have to make, kind of like the track behind the sheriff's deputy in the center of the image::
by default 2023-02-15 at 11.43.19 AM.jpg

... which leads straight to this point, where the soil around the edge of the cliff is disturbed, and the spot where the car went over:
by default 2023-02-15 at 11.43.19 AM(2).jpg

... which leads me to showing the trajectory of the car having to turn more than 90 degrees to leave the roadway, go around that round spot of vegetation, then go over the disturbed spot on the edge of the cliff, and land on the rocky scree below:
by default 2023-02-15 at 11.53.43 AM.jpg

Would be hard to do that without intent. I mean, they just installed that guardrail to prevent accidents, but you can't stop people from going over if they try.

• Informative
Reactions: WyoDude and vickh
Again, so much speculation. How about waiting until all the facts are presented. There are so many possible explanations for the very little info that has been released so far.
And what are those "many possible explanations" for why someone would drive deliberately off a cliff with a family in the car? There's video evidence showing the car from the tunnel until it goes over. There's witnesses from the two vehicles directly behind the perp who say there were no brake lights. There's the sheriff saying there were no skid marks indicating braking. There's the wife's immediate comments to the rescuers. And now, it's reported she doesn't want the husband to be prosecuted.

Please give us some of those "many possible explanations" that fit all that info that has already been released to the public.

Well, the affidavits were opened, and the SF Chronicle reports that the wife said her husband was depressed, and said he was going to drive off the cliff.Exclusive: Why police say California dad drove Tesla off cliff at Devil’s Slide

"He drove off. He's depressed," Neha Patel told a California Highway Patrol officer as she was flown away from the crash site, according to the Chronicle. "He said he was going to drive off the cliff. He purposely drove off."

And the driver says his left rear tire was low on air and felt funny. Which of course, doesn't really explain how the car slowed, turned around the guardrail to the RIGHT, and made a 130degree turn, and drove off the cliff.

I mean, if you have a low tire, the car will pull towards that side; so low left rear, means the car will pull to the LEFT.

Of course, when asked about feeling suicidal, the driver said, "'You know, not like a plan, not usually,'" Uhm, "not usually"? So, in other words he was feeling suicidal, but it wasn't "a plan". He basically admitted that he did it.

The other thing that stands out is the driver was going to his brother's house, 2.5miles away from the crash site. In other words, it's likely he's driven that road before and knows it well enough to know where the turnout is. Why, if the Y felt odd, did he not turnout in the parking lot right there with guardrails all around, instead driving around the guardrail?

Sad.