Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has disabled FSD Snapshot Button Uploads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may be a temporary move, but Tesla appears to have disabled FSD snapshot button uploads. Personally, I have seen this on my own car as monitoring my network, I have not seen my car upload the usual amount of data after a day of reporting with the snapshot button.

Green has tweeted about this and replies to his Twitter are showing mixed results from other beta testers.

Doesn't FSDb automatically upload snapshots whenever you disengage (i.e. hit the brake) ?
At minimum, there's aggregate telemetry sent back for each trip that includes how many disengagements. But unless Tesla had a trigger active to send back a video snapshot matching your situation, most likely there's no video of your action.

At least up until last week or so, you could manually trigger the video saving. Although people using Google WiFi to track upload usage need to be careful as it has incorrectly reported the initial hour of activity as much more than actual or even possible to the ISP (e.g. 50GB in an hour). Later hours are more accurate, so I calculate total upload by counting hours times our max upload speed.

@verygreen were you able to see how many seconds the video button used to save? And has that changed over the months, e.g. 10 seconds with initial private beta, then 30 seconds public beta, or more recently 40 seconds before removal?

Or any common video lengths of the remaining active triggers?

@verygreen were you able to see how many seconds the video button used to save? And has that changed over the months, e.g. 10 seconds with initial private beta, then 30 seconds public beta, or more recently 40 seconds before removal?

Or any common video lengths of the remaining active triggers?
it used to be 10 or so seconds I think

The snapshot button sends all the camera feeds with a short clip to Tesla. The disengagements don't do that.
the disengagements may do it if the other trigger parameters match.

1. Maybe they ran out of storage space, and they need to pause uploads until they’ve sorted it out (or equivalent, like not wanting to spend more on cloud storage for user submitted data).

2. Maybe they don’t need the camera feed data from our old HW3 cameras anymore, and all video uploads from the current hardware is suspended. Video uploads to continue working on vehicles with newer hardware.

3. Maybe they’re needing to borrow the compute resources typically used to process uploaded videos for something else in order to get 10.69.3 out the door.

4. Maybe they’re doing what they said they would do at AI Day. I think they said there were two circumstances for even they would upload data, neither of which was when the driver hit the snapshot button. I think one was when FSD quickly changed its mind in a contradictory way or something. The other might have been when the driver completely ignored what FSD would have done, and it ends up working out (so basically a shadow mode sitch).

they need to pause uploads until they’ve sorted it out
Related to a couple of your ideas, it could indeed very well just be a "debugging exercise" where maybe something happened and it doesn't help to have even more video data coming in. It could be something on each vehicle where maybe the data sent back was corrupted in some way that isn't easily fixed on the server side. Or it could be something on the server side data pipeline that is getting overloaded.

At least in the past, Tesla has happily collected video snapshot button presses even from FSD Beta versions that are months old as this data is still useful in training even major architectural changes like the introduction of video occupancy network.

it used to be 10 or so seconds I think
Thanks. Does the request for triggers include the current firmware version so that Tesla can filter to only include ones that are relevant? For example only request snapshots for those on 2022.40.4 when ultrasonics disagree with vision distances?

Similarly, maybe the snapshot button removal was only for FSD Beta 10.69.2 but reenabled for the latest 10.69.3?

Thanks. Does the request for triggers include the current firmware version so that Tesla can filter to only include ones that are relevant? For example only request snapshots for those on 2022.40.4 when ultrasonics disagree with vision distances?

Similarly, maybe the snapshot button removal was only for FSD Beta 10.69.2 but reenabled for the latest 10.69.3?
while I imagine querying a particular version might be feasible, I do not think I've ever seen triggers like this. Typically triggers that depend on a particular feature don't trigger on firmwares that don't have a feature because the feature is not available.

Also there was no removal of the snapshot button, it's just the underlying trigger expired and was not renewed (something that was done like daily in the past to replenish 10 or so actuations allowed by default) sop you press the button, you get all the usual feedback, but nothing is sent to Tesla (Which you can confirm by watching wifi upload stats)

Reactions: thewishmaster
FSD is approaching its *finished* state prior to final release to the wider fleet as a Level 2 ADAS following this period of feedback and refinement of the user experience.

Wasn't there a previous update that shrunk the size of the camera button and made it more difficult to press? You don't do that to inputs that add a lot of value, you make those inputs as easily accessible as possible.

FSD is approaching its *finished* state prior to final release to the wider fleet as a Level 2 ADAS following this period of feedback and refinement of the user experience.

Wasn't there a previous update that shrunk the size of the camera button and made it more difficult to press? You don't do that to inputs that add a lot of value, you make those inputs as easily accessible as possible.
On the Model X and S, it was only available inside the Settings app. That made it difficult to access in a hurry.

Reactions: redmunds
On the Model X and S, it was only available inside the Settings app. That made it difficult to access in a hurry.
I remember seeing people mention that and thinking such a change should be something of a red flag, either that or the design process is seriously flawed when there would theoretically be billions of dollars riding on that button and the data provided.

But Tesla's plan, as previously communicated to the Cali DMV, was to refine the FSD user experience before issuing a *final* release to the wide fleet before some new iterative process begins. The camera button is there specifically as another feedback route from users when bad things occur, that is likely a big piece of what they figure is refining the experience. The goal is to get this out to the wider fleet by the end of year, this might be another indicator of it coming.

Huh? My button has never been inside the settings app. It's in the top right corner of the screen just like the 3 and Y
Yup, at least on 2022.20 revs, refresh w landscape screen. There is nothing along the top of the map display except a 4-digit time at the far right. If you want to see or use Homelink, WiFi, Bluetooth, camera button etc, you have to bring up settings, which of course covers the map. Lots of interface deficiencies with the landscape screen.

The strange part of this is that the snapshot icon is still there. If Tesla didn't value the incoming data, they could have just removed the functionality.

So I think they temporarily don't want user-submitted snapshot data, but they may want it in the future, and they don't want to confuse users with a disappearing and then later reappearing snapshot icon. Just a thought.

Reactions: Dewg