Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla headache?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I’ve been showing off my TM3 too much for friends and coworkers, but I’ve noticed I get a slight headache after driving it (when I’ve accelerated really quickly). It’s pretty minor, but I assume it’s due to the g-force / insane acceleration. Am I just being wimpy or does this happen for anyone else?

Reactions: derkan
Maybe I’ve been showing off my TM3 too much for friends and coworkers, but I’ve noticed I get a slight headache after driving it (when I’ve accelerated really quickly). It’s pretty minor, but I assume it’s due to the g-force / insane acceleration. Am I just being wimpy or does this happen for anyone else?
If you’re new to driving EVs, the temptation to keep lashing the pedal does affect different people in different ways.
Until you learn to modulate it at least :)

I would stop doing that.

Then my headache would go away.

Or I would keep doing that...and keep having headaches. lol

• Funny
Reactions: davedavedave
I noticed I was getting slightly nauseous when I first got the car. It was especially noticeable when accelerating quickly.
I think it’s actually from lifting after accelerating, when the regen engages. A typical ICE would coast so the feeling is very different and I don’t think I’m used to it. It’s getting better now.
On lighter acceleration it’s easier to feather the throttle into a constant speed without decelerating.

Reactions: alfadur
No problem for me. But then I had 8 years to practice with my Roadster.

It is from the EMF field created by the motor and autopilot super computer.

I recommend wrapping a thin piece of foil around your head, ensuring there are no nicks or exposed areas in the foil.

You can also use tape to attach a small magnet to your forehead to create a protective field, much like the earths magnetosphere.

Let us know your results and include pictures.

We don’t own a Tesla but all three times we tested a PxxxD in ludicrous mode I got nauseas after doing the 0-60 thing. My wife thinks I’m a wimp. I told her the only way we can confirm the problem is caused by a Tesla is to actually get one and do prolonged testing. I think she’s actually thinking about it...but my bank account isn’t sooooo.....

I'd really stop doing it. You might want to Chill for a bit.

Maybe one* of the doctors might be able to say whether it's indicative of some other problem, like concussion.

* There are enough on here that we must have neck, brain and nervous system covered.

G forces cause various effects in people. That's why military pilots get tested for it. Not everyone can handle G's. In fact, anything over 3 g's isn't even allowed on untested civilians on military flights. Some people become disoriented with even a little G. You can train yourself to counter them to a certain extent.

I remember similar complaints on the forum years ago, with nausea as well. I had it too. It might have been new car smell - outgassing of plastics. It might have just been the unusual (for me at the time) acceleration curves and my inner ear. Whatever it was, it went away.
I suggest immersion therapy. :)

• Funny
Reactions: alfadur

I know exactly what you are talking about.

I test drove a P90D Model S a few years ago, and pushed the accelerator hard when it was safe to do so. After several runs and a passing maneuver, I felt quite dizzy.

My advice is to set your Model 3 to “chill mode” for awhile to tame the power curve a bit. Allow your head time to get used to the acceleration before using the throttle aggressively.

I just got my model 3 last week, and I am getting a prolonged headache after driving the car for an hour or so, I know my wife also got the headache for a few days after riding on the passenger seat. I lowered the tire pressure to 39 psi, but still feels very bumpy. I am hoping it will get better cause I am starting to regret my purchase if this continues.

If you have weak neck muscles then one option is to strengthen them, the other is to use chill mode.

You can find neck exercises online.

For me personally, even with the 20s the Model 3 has the best ride of any car I've driven in the last two decades. Also, if you have summer tires then in the winter as the rubber gets harder due to the cold, the ride will get harsher.

• Informative
Reactions: 1375mlm
I just got my model 3 last week, and I am getting a prolonged headache after driving the car for an hour or so, I know my wife also got the headache for a few days after riding on the passenger seat. I lowered the tire pressure to 39 psi, but still feels very bumpy. I am hoping it will get better cause I am starting to regret my purchase if this continues.
It went away for me after about 2 weeks. Still happens to my wife every now and then if she's on her phone while I'm driving.

• Informative
Reactions: 1375mlm