Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Home Automation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
I am interested in setting up Wi-Fi Presence for my Model X so I can preform home automation task when my X is at home.

I found this online: GitHub - idolpx/WhoIsHome: A simple network based presence detection system. but not so sure how to set it up. I did leave a comment about it on GitHub: Need Help with Setup (OS X Server) · Issue #1 · idolpx/WhoIsHome · GitHub

Anyone else with more experience interested in this? If so, some help would be much appreciated!

BTW...this is another project with SmartThing's I have working:

IMG_1519.jpeg IMG_8275.jpeg

Reactions: AdamHLG
Just out of curiosity, what are you hoping for the Tesla to trigger? I use a Veraplus for my hub and the iPhone plugin for it works great for triggering my home and away scenes. I'm wondering what advantage the Tesla might have over that, if any.

I haven't programmed Crestron products for some time, but I would expect that there would be some joy, at the same price point and features, thatTESLA Model X is to SUV's, as Crestron is to home automation.

If there isn't a muddle for that already, by Crestron's hand or other programmers, Elon could maybe launch a call and incorporate the vehicular module, but WAAAY more lucrative Energy module and attendant logic for home automation/Energy management...

I know a programmer who has this skill set, but is very, very busy...

Thank you very much

FURY

I have a custom designed home automation system that can be accessed over HTTP and it runs quite well in the Tesla browser. Gives touch control over lights, A/C controls, room occupancy, security status, on-site weather, household power usage, and more.

Here's a screen capture of the "floor plan" display that shows current status of all the lights; tapping any screen icon can turn on/off room lighting, control thermostats, or bring up a variety of detailed reports. Can't use voice controls in the Tesla yet, but my phone works for that ;-)

tesla-nsautomation.jpg

My whole house is automated with z-wave/vera. Lights, blinds, A/C, Heat, ceiling fans, calendars, TVs, doors, integrated with my Honeywell security system, fire alarms, etc...

When a garage door opens, interior lights on the house come on to light a path to the kitchen. It also welcomes home whoever punches their code in the entry door leading from the garage to the house (vera alerts).

I'd like to be able to know when the X comes home and then when the person enters the house, check the battery level. If it is below a certain threshold, then the Vera Alerts will welcome them and suggest they plug in the car for charging.

I think I have all the pieces I need now to do this since someone posted the json api for Tesla.

Depending on what router you have, I have a node server running on my NAS that listens for network events(syslog) piped from my router. Then it can listen for certain device(identified by mac address) connect and disconnect event, and fire ifttt events, which can then feed into smartthings. That's how I was able to enable virtual presence sensor for guests. Technically you can do the same for the car.

Reactions: vandacca
A couple of decades ago I programmed, when my vehicle was "sensed" the outdoor "rock"speakers in the motor court to blare out, Hail to The Chief. When another specific vehicle arrived, something about the Wicked Witch. I don't have that house anymore...

Thank you very much

FURY

• Funny
Reactions: FarmerDave