Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate to state the obvious, but if you add 20k of options to a $100k car, then it costs 120k. Guess what happens if you add 20k of options to a $115k car?

On the plus side, I spend $100 per week on petrol, thats $5000 per year. I will spend about $20 per week on replacement electricity. A saving of $4000 per year.

Over 10 years, that is a saving of $40,000. So is it a $100k car, or is it just a $60k car with $40k of traveling prepaid?

I hate to state the obvious, but if you add 20k of options to a $100k car, then it costs 120k. Guess what happens if you add 20k of options to a $115k car?

On the plus side, I spend $100 per week on petrol, thats $5000 per year. I will spend about $20 per week on replacement electricity. A saving of $4000 per year.

Over 10 years, that is a saving of $40,000. So is it a $100k car, or is it just a $60k car with $40k of traveling prepaid?
That's how I'm selling the idea to the misses

Just hope she doesn't ask the cost of insurance...

I know nothing about insurance in Australia, but in Canada, I was surprised to find that insurance for my Model S costs less than my 10-year-old Acura TL. Not sure why - could be a lack of claims data, but I wonder if it's the top safety rating. I'd guess that injury claims are their biggest cost, so a car that does a great job protecting its occupants should cost less to insure.

They may produce a fantastic car and have superb service, but their communication absolutely stinks!!!What they are doing, keeping us all on tenterhooks like this is simply immoral! When the head of Sales and Service makes a statement, and provides a time line, i for one expect them to meet that commitment, or in a timely fashion inform ALL reservation holders by email. How hard can it be? really?

Out of curiosity I've gone back through this thread to summarise the various promises on pricing release dates and delivery dates.

Tesla in Australia? - Page 7
01 Apr 2012 "Jay says world pricing will be released in April, so this month. "

Tesla 2013 Model S - Tesla Model S expected to cost $75K in Oz | GoAuto
28 Jun 2012 Jay: "we can still deliver cars (reserved now) by the end of 2013"

Tesla in Australia? - Page 11
21 Jan 2013 Naomi: "RHD vehicles are still slated for end of this year or early next year.
Several months prior to that we will be announcing pricing and options for Australia."

Tesla in Australia? - Page 12
24 Feb 2013 Kevin Yu: "First quarter of 2014 is a pretty good realistic estimate."

Tesla in Australia? - Page 13
22 Apr 2013 Naomi: "production is still slated for this year and deliveries for early next year."

Tesla in Australia? - Page 20
11 Jul 2013 Naomi: "April/May was an expected timeframe with test drive models in early 2014."

Tesla in Australia? - Page 23
16 Aug 2013 Naomi: "deliveries will occur [...] Autumn in Australia or between April and June 2014"
"reservation holders will be receiving pricing information via e-mail"

Tesla in Australia? - Page 27
07 Nov 2013 Naomi: "still slated to start delivery for RHDs in Q2 (April-June) of 2014

Tesla in Australia? - Page 35
05 Mar 2014 Naomi: "preparing to announce pricing and options in the next couple of weeks." (-> 19 Mar)

Tesla in Australia? - Page 42
21 Mar 2014 Stone: "It seems that pricing will be up by mid April for sure.

Tesla in Australia? - Page 46
25 Mar 2014 Stone: "web site expected up in early April"

Tesla in Australia? - Page 47
28 Mar 2014 Jerome: "We are days away from releasing the Autralian pricing"

Tesla in Australia? - Page 53
08 Apr 2014 Jerome: "delayed the launch .. super busy .. We should release before the end of next week" (-> 17 Apr)

Tesla in Australia? - Page 62
17 Apr 2014 "Pricing will be released in the next week or so"

Count me among the seriously disappointed :mad: