Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope that the 'mid 2014’ date is wrong, but I suspect it isn't. I've emailed Naomi for an update. How long does homologation take? Have they even started? Australian showroom/servicing? Pricing?

An information black hole. Doesn't auger well.
Jerome Guillen replied to me a month or so ago that he is issuing engineering orders for RHD on an almost daily basis. I guess at the quarterly update in November we may hear more. They are definitely more interested in Hong Kong and japan than here. My guess is late autumn for sigs and second half of the year maybe September for other orders.
Lonnng wait!!

hmm, I will be in San Fran between 17-20 September, hopefully I could get onto a Factory tour. (as a sig res holder, it'd be disappointing not to)

How did you go with this spentan?

I see Hertz are renting Model S' on the West coast now.

I've seen two on the East coast - a lot less than I was expecting, but I will be on the West in a few weeks after a brief visit to Canada to visit family, and hope to get a test drive at the factory.

Back in Australia late next month to mess around with deposits. Since my last post things changed a bit with my work and now I'm not sure if I get one in Australia how long I would get to enjoy it - need to wait till I get back to work that out.

They do look stunning on the road. Can't wait to drive one.

Hi Gregincal. I think the confusion comes from my ignorance of how the seasons are defined in the USA. In Australia saying that delivery will be in Fall (Autumn) 2014, but then also saying delivery will be March to June doesn't make sense. Fall here is March to May inclusive, so a mid 2014 delivery, ie 30th June, is one third the way into what we call Winter. I think in the USA, you use the equinox and solstice dates to define the seasons, so your Spring would be March 21st to June 20th. I think Tesla have flipped the seasons around and given us expected delivery dates based on the opposite of the seasons as defined in the USA.

In any case, I'm hoping the vehicle will be earlier in your Spring than later!

Hi Gregincal. I think the confusion comes from my ignorance of how the seasons are defined in the USA. In Australia saying that delivery will be in Fall (Autumn) 2014, but then also saying delivery will be March to June doesn't make sense. Fall here is March to May inclusive, so a mid 2014 delivery, ie 30th June, is one third the way into what we call Winter. I think in the USA, you use the equinox and solstice dates to define the seasons, so your Spring would be March 21st to June 20th. I think Tesla have flipped the seasons around and given us expected delivery dates based on the opposite of the seasons as defined in the USA.

In any case, I'm hoping the vehicle will be earlier in your Spring than later!

Yeah, I was just confused about the discrepancy between the title and the quote. Probably safer to assume later than sooner with Tesla, however. I'm just going to miss my car when I make my annual summer trip to Melbourne at Christmas. If they had a showroom in Melbourne where I could go by and at least look at one that would be better.

I was already talking about my upcoming car last year, and this year I expect to be seriously spreading the Tesla word (since nobody I've ever talked to there has heard of them). I mean the Model S is as big and as powerful as a traditional Aussie V-8, although not yet available as a ute. :wink: With no EV incentives Australia's likely to remain a small market for Tesla, though, and with the new government I guess that's not likely to change.

Yeah, I was just confused about the discrepancy between the title and the quote. Probably safer to assume later than sooner with Tesla, however. I'm just going to miss my car when I make my annual summer trip to Melbourne at Christmas. If they had a showroom in Melbourne where I could go by and at least look at one that would be better.

I was already talking about my upcoming car last year, and this year I expect to be seriously spreading the Tesla word (since nobody I've ever talked to there has heard of them). I mean the Model S is as big and as powerful as a traditional Aussie V-8, although not yet available as a ute. :wink: With no EV incentives Australia's likely to remain a small market for Tesla, though, and with the new government I guess that's not likely to change.

I have certainly noticed a big increase in awareness of Tesla in Australia over the last year. I have been doing my bit by wearing my Tesla jacket over the Aussie winter so my experience may be skewed. Most popular question now is "when will your car arrive?" Also the hardest to answer. :frown:

Just cancelled my Signature Reservation :(

Main reason is that I plan to move to USA before or shortly after it will be released here.

Other reason includes the fact that the LCT and lack of government incentives will make a P85+ around $60,000 more than what it would be in the USA, (that's if the base price is exactly the same as what it is in USA, which I'm sure it won't be).

Another reason, and this has been echoed by a lot of members on Tesla Motors Club, is that the Signature model is not worth the premium over the Production ones,

Now the mission is to get a job in USA and move asap!

Anyone have thoughts or educated guesses on electrical requirements for home charging?

I'm having some power work done soon and if I need to upgrade my supply (and/or change to 3-phase) now might be a good time to start getting organised.

The "High Powered Wall Connector" (HPWC) http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/high-power-wall-connector can supply 20kW so at 250V that's 80A.
The Western Power site http://www.westernpower.com.au/residents/connections/connections.html helpfully tells me the standard supply on single phase is only 63A - although my main circuit breaker is 80A, I don't know if that means I have a larger than standard supply already.:confused:

The standard supply on 3-phase is 32A per phase, and from what I can work out that is also somewhere around 20kW depending on power factor, so I have a feeling I need to either
a) get a quote on upgrading to a non-standard supply or
b) not bother with getting the "twin charger" option and charge at "only" 10kW (which will still charge even the 85kWh battery overnight)

- Matt