Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed - 500K builds 20 sper chargers - that would be ample for us between 0-5 years

- - - Updated - - -

I agree Dborn, very impressive to see battery swapping being done so quickly, but I can't see myself ever using it. It also introduces other issues like getting your original battery back (given that you buy it when you buy the car) or whether Tesla eventually runs two systems one where you buy the battery and one where you lease a battery and swap batteries. I suspect the Supercharger concept is the way to go. And if battery range increases to 500+ miles as is muted, then I think battery swapping becomes even less relevant. Full marks to Tesla for putting this option on the table, but at $500k to build each battery swap system, I don't think it will ever pay its way.

Agreed ISB - 500K builds 20 Superchargers

- - - Updated - - -

Always best to reach out to Naomi for a TD in Model S - there are a couple of rental companies that have roadsters and Model S for hire - Enterprise Rentals have one as part of their exotics range and GetAround San Fran have one you can hire for about 30 bucks an hour - maybe less if its a day hire......Factory tours are not being run currently due to production....but stay tuned maybe later in the year or early next year....

- - - Updated - - -

A hyperloop? lol j/k. I had spoken to Naomi a couple of months ago regarding a factory tour, but was denied the possibility.

I am comfortable driving in USA, I've been there 3 times in the last 12 months, and always have rented a nice big 7 seater (last time had a suburban), as I am 6ft9in tall and 180kg.

We did San Fran - LA - Vegas back to LA all driving, as well as renting a camaro convertible in Vegas, which was lots of fun. :)

I wouldn't have thought that test drives were all that scarce, this time in USA I will be in Vegas for 12 nights (conference, and a bit of a punter), and will be in LA for 5 nights staying with family in Orange County, so the Newport Beach store will probably be the closest where I have a lot of time on my hands.

I'll email Naomi and report back with results. If anyone else has some ideas, let me know.

(I'm going San Francisco in my September trip, but the problem lies where I will be 1 month off being 25 years old, which means I won't be able to rent the Model S in San Fran at an hourly rate (I think it is available through one of those Peer-To-Peer Renting apps/sites))

GetAround San Fran will be your best bet - a black 85 is available

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Thegurio - SH's Roadster is a 56kW Pack - has a great SOC and is kept wam and safe in Sydney with me. Simon is interested in offers knowing it will go to a good EV home -

Interested - where did you get that figure? that would represent 330 plus reservations! More or less what Tesla announced for Hong Kong. Incidentally, since HK is a right hand drive country, how is it that they have test drive cars (albeit LHD'S) and we have not seen the whiff of one?

There are now 40 Signatures on order in Australia (1.6 million) and 65 regular (390k).

Hey, what does everyone do for insurance in USA for rental/test drives?

From the research I've done, I can't rent one in USA, because no-one that rents them out (MPG, Cali Rent a Car, Enterprise Exotic, Hertz Dream range) will provide me with Loss Damage Waiver/Collision Damage Waiver.

Does anyone know the easiest, quickest or only way to get auto insurance in USA? I was ready to pay $500 per day, just to rent it, but having no insurance means I won't be risking it. (I'd be happy to buy a year worth of insurance cos I go back to USA quite a bit).

Anyone got any ideas/let me know. At this stage, the test drive I'll be taking with Tesla will just be a test "ride", as I don't have any insurance coverage.

Please advise.

Incidentally, since HK is a right hand drive country, how is it that they have test drive cars (albeit LHD'S) and we have not seen the whiff of one?

Hong Kong was a pain (I hear). It is not possible to register LHD cars here, so Tesla Hong Kong had to get a special waiver and temporary permit to drive around a fixed test drive circuit. The car itself has no license plate or road tax registration (just a slip of paper in the glove compartment). Taking a wrong turn would mean breaking the law. Tesla even had to flat-bed the car between the showroom and the test drive circuit, once a week (but they recently managed to get a separate permit to allow them to drive that route - but Tesla staff only).

What is the situation in AU? Is it possible to register a LHD car for test drives?

Permanent registration for a LHD car is close to impossible but I think you can register a LHD vehicle for up to 6 months.
This is designed for tourists who must export the car upon completion, so may not apply to Tesla Australia
However if Tesla Australia has a dealer license they can apply for dealer plates that I understand would allow for test drives etc in a LHD car.

From the research I've done, I can't rent one in USA, because no-one that rents them out (MPG, Cali Rent a Car, Enterprise Exotic, Hertz Dream range) will provide me with Loss Damage Waiver/Collision Damage Waiver.

Does anyone know the easiest, quickest or only way to get auto insurance in USA? I was ready to pay $500 per day, just to rent it, but having no insurance means I won't be risking it. (I'd be happy to buy a year worth of insurance cos I go back to USA quite a bit).

Anyone got any ideas/let me know. At this stage, the test drive I'll be taking with Tesla will just be a test "ride", as I don't have any insurance coverage.

Please advise.

Bump, anyone?

No experience there as my first trip to the US was over 25. I had rented cars with Avis in Australia before I turned 25 but had a corporate rate that covered me.

But perhaps check either travel insurance options, or ask your insurance company that your current car is insured through if they can extend it for hire cars / provide a new policy?

Please advise.
There was some confusion over insurance and the required drivers licenses for my test drive at a Get Amped event last year.
In the end my NSW drivers license was sufficient but I had to sign a waiver saying I wouldn't sue Tesla if I hurt myself.
The test drive was only about 10 or so minutes but you get a good idea of the performance of the car, which was life changing.
There were also a couple of static Model S in an adjacent room so you could spend some time with the interior.
I'm 53 so didn't run into insurance issues.

Last edited:
Hey all, another Tesla fan in Aus checking in. I've wanted to get my hands on a Model S since I first saw the Megafactories documentary on NatGeo a couple of years back. I can't imagine the wait some of you long-time fans have endured, but from the sounds of things the car will be worth it. Apologies if this has been asked before, but is there usually some announcement before signature reservations close for a region? I ask because there is a small chance that by the time Tesla re-launch in Australia a Model S may actually be within my budget. Unfortunately a $40k deposit is beyond my reach at this time.

Hey all, another Tesla fan in Aus checking in. I've wanted to get my hands on a Model S since I first saw the Megafactories documentary on NatGeo a couple of years back. I can't imagine the wait some of you long-time fans have endured, but from the sounds of things the car will be worth it. Apologies if this has been asked before, but is there usually some announcement before signature reservations close for a region? I ask because there is a small chance that by the time Tesla re-launch in Australia a Model S may actually be within my budget. Unfortunately a $40k deposit is beyond my reach at this time.

Welcome to the forum Dirty Harry. You could always place an order for standard production Model S for Aus$6,000 and upgrade later to signature if circumstances change for you.

Anyone had any further insight into the expected price now that the dollar is back where the RBA want it to be?

It sounds like factory tours are a formal thing now, but I can't find anywhere to book (I will be there with the family early October).
Well, there has effectively been a 10% price increase in the States. That will reflect badly in the price of the car.
I have just written to George Blankenship looking for clarification and whether the company planned to " look after" those of us with long term reservations, which, after all would be only fair since we have given them an interest free loan. I asked for a specific reply to myself and a formal statement at the 7th August event. I have previously written to him asking simply for a formal statement of the state of play regarding right hand drive at this same event, but that was before this current price rise. Crazy that park distance control would not be part of a tech package, when many budget model cars come with them as standard, and aftermarket units are relatively dirt cheap in comparison to the pricing of the Tesla unit. Regrettably, the company seems to be moving to standard motor vehicle type, when they were a ground breaking innovator in so many things including marketing.

Following is an exchange of emails between myself and Naomi.

Hi Naomi
Following the call and the mention of R&D for right hand drive, do you now have any concrete info as to when we might see our cars here in Australia?

Also, A number of us here are becoming increasingly concerned regarding the likely price of the vehicle when it eventually gets here given the recent price rises and likely further rises before the car finally makes it to these shores. For every $1 rise in the USA, the effective price increase here what with exchange rates and taxes is about $1.55 - no small matter when considering whether to go ahead.

Is there any likelihood of long-term reservation holders being "looked after" in this regard?

Regards,

Thank you for your mail, xxx
I hope you are well!

According to our latest information stated in our earnings call on August 7, RHD is slated for initial deliveries in Spring of 2014. There are four main RHD markets – UK, HK, Japan, Australia. We do not have information on exactly when in 2014 each market will start deliveries, but we are working on updates.

I am not aware of any programs available for long-term reservation holders at the moment, but we will let you know if this changes. (We still have the deduction of an estimated 2,500AUD for customers who made a reservation before 2013)

I am sorry we haven't been able to update our customers periodically

Best regards,
Naomi Takeuchi | Ownership Experience, APAC
[email protected]
[email protected]
Contact in Australia: +61(0)2.8003.7205

2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Tesla Model S

Direct reply from Jerome Guillen:
Thank you for your message and continued support!

We are actively working on the right-hand drive program. I approve ECOs (engineering change orders) nearly every day to release parts for the right-hand drive version of the Model S. We certainly intend to have the first deliveries in spring 2014. I cannot share with you a more detailed timing or the sequence of launch in right-hand drive countries

We appreciate your patience and we are looking forward to delivering your Model S.

Best regards,

Jerome Guillen I VP for service and sales operations. Model S program director I

I just received my reservation confirmation (non-sig) with sequence number 99

Does that mean they've had 34 reservations in the last 30 days? Impressive! And that's not counting Signature reservations.

- Matt
Amazing, - NO promotion here, no sales person, and yet people are still reserving!?! Out of interest, Matt, where did you hear about Tesla, and what made you reserve? When I reserved, i at least got a test drive in the roadster and there was obviously a sales person on staff.