Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And let's keep in mind that there is what, less than 300 (?) Reservations, which are all refundable should the pricing be absurd. We realistically can't expect investment like in the US yet, we have to walk before we can run!

I agree. In fact, I'm amazed they've already spent the resources they have. To confirm superchargers in a country with sub 300 reservations is...a big investment.

as far a home link isn't that made only for the US, and also does tesla's sold outside the US(china, Europe etc) include home link?,

also as far as 3g goes hope they make a deal with Telstra, if not you can always use your mobile phone data from your phone via bluetooth(or is it wifi?)

I have seen homelink (or equivalent) installed on other cars in Australia (Range Rover Evoque for instance) so am unsure why it doesn't work here?

I believe that you can use the wi-fi or bluetooth to pair the car with the phone as you say.

as far a home link isn't that made only for the US, and also does tesla's sold outside the US(china, Europe etc) include home link?,

also as far as 3g goes hope they make a deal with Telstra, if not you can always use your mobile phone data from your phone via bluetooth(or is it wifi?)

Problem is that taking 3g from your phone is very draining on the phone's battery. I think it would be better if there was a 3g deal with Telstra.

Where's the SIM card located? Surely it couldn't be that hard to let customers put in whatever provider's card they'd like, if it's easily accessible.

Its accessible, but certainly not easily...

Where is the SIM card located? - Page 2

The low reception could be caused by using a less than ideal radio frequency as well. Telstra would be ideal, but with the pricing of their data, I can't imagine that they'd come up with a great deal for the cars using their network.

Would Vodafone be SO bad? Maybe not the best option, but surely the maps can cache a trip like Google maps does on android?

Also, while we're speculating, Simon Hackett is one of the earlier reservation holders, on the board of the NBN and of iinet. If I was Tesla, I'd be trying to leverage some sort of connection agreement out of that.

the issue of 'slow' data is likely because of frequency differences.
assuming Tesla use AT&T in USA, 3G operates at 850MHz/1900MHz (HSPA/HSPA+).

Telstra on the other hand have 3G at 850Mhz/2100MHz.

I'm sure it can be sorted out with a bit of firmware work - but likely what you see in the initial car is that hasn't yet been done - so I wouldn't be surprised if its dropping back from 3G to 2.5G (EDGE)

Stone very kindly brought the Model S around to my apartment to verify there weren't any parking issues. It was great to see the RHD car in motion and I'm even more eagerly awaiting the first shipment now!
I'll need to do that too, we have one entry/exit ramp with quite tight turns. There are Merc and BMW urban assault vehicles there so it must be possible but Mrs Who has to be able to manage it.

Its accessible, but certainly not easily...

Where is the SIM card located? - Page 2

also on this page someone wrote
Automotive LGA form factor (compatible with other AR Series modules
Triband HSPA: - AR8552: 850/900/2100MHz (Europe, Australia, Japan)
Triband HSPA: - AR8550: 850/1900/AWS band MHz (North America)
14.4 Mbps downlink, 5.76 Mbps uplink
Qualcomm MDM6600 chipset
Analog and PCM Voice
GPSOne ver 8 with 5V antenna bias and antenna protection
Optional BREW API interface
Optional Embedded SIM (SON8)
http://www.m2mconnectivity.com.au/brands/sierra-wireless/sierra-wireless-airprime/ar-series/ar855x

so there are 2 different types, one for North America and another for Europe, Australia, Japan which is 850/900/2100MHz,

also i guess we will find out who will provide 3g data for australia soon but as far as the sim card goes it should be able to be re-provisioned over-the-air from one operator to another,
i would read the article:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/03/telefonica_jasper_and_tesla_drive_off_into_sunset/

like the article says this is a deal for Europe but i think the car will still roam on other networks, if you makes sense to provisioned at&t because the roaming chargers are cheaper, thats how i read it.

also the deal for the US is 4 years free data for new cars.

EDIT: just to add att roams on to
telstra http://www.att.com/att/global/affordable-world-packages/global-countries/

Last edited: