Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes.

- - - Updated - - -

You're probably right Melocomm. They'll probably try to launch the car with quite a few new owners at the same time. This will fudge the issue as far as they are concerned and I'm ok with that. I think this car is a game changer as far as the auto industry is concerned. I'm sure the Roadster is great fun, and certainly an important stepping stone for the company in terms of learning, finance and public recognition, but I see the Model S as the iPhone of the auto industry. Nothing will be the same after this. I want paperwork which confirms my Model S will be the first purchased car in the country. I've had a deposit down for 5 years, so I really don't think I'm asking for too much.
5 YEARS!!! Mine has been 3 years plus! I am now struggling with the wait!! Not sure how you survived!!

You're probably right Melocomm. They'll probably try to launch the car with quite a few new owners at the same time. This will fudge the issue as far as they are concerned and I'm ok with that. I think this car is a game changer as far as the auto industry is concerned. I'm sure the Roadster is great fun, and certainly an important stepping stone for the company in terms of learning, finance and public recognition, but I see the Model S as the iPhone of the auto industry. Nothing will be the same after this. I want paperwork which confirms my Model S will be the first purchased car in the country. I've had a deposit down for 5 years, so I really don't think I'm asking for too much.
Sounds like a plan, we should organise an after delivery dinner and relive that meal at the "all you can eat Italian" after the Get Amped event in 2012. Hopefully NZ will be sorted by then and Peter W and Leonie can join the party. :smile:
P.S You're invited too Jay.

Would love to be a passenger&see what the reactions are of passers by.:love::love::love:

Super jealous of everyone who gets a test drive. :crying:

I think once it hits the streets there will be a lot more interest generated, which can only be a good thing!

I was told that at the moment only Tesla employees could drive it. So I could either convince them to hire me for the day, or I'll just have to sit in the passenger side. Doesn't matter, still awesome!

I think once it hits the streets there will be a lot more interest generated, which can only be a good thing!

I was told that at the moment only Tesla employees could drive it. So I could either convince them to hire me for the day, or I'll just have to sit in the passenger side. Doesn't matter, still awesome!

That's cool! My wife and I are visiting it on Thursday so hopefully Stone will take us for a drive.

Once it hits the streets in Sydney and once people start having test drives the pressure to release pricing and realistic arrival dates will be enormous.

- - - Updated - - -

5 YEARS!!! Mine has been 3 years plus! I am now struggling with the wait!! Not sure how you survived!!

It's been a struggle! I remember I paid the deposit in British pounds to their UK site which was the only way to get a reservation for RHD at the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a plan, we should organise an after delivery dinner and relive that meal at the "all you can eat Italian" after the Get Amped event in 2012. Hopefully NZ will be sorted by then and Peter W and Leonie can join the party. :smile:
P.S You're invited too Jay.

Great idea, like 'gettin the band back together'! Hopefully NZ will be sorted. Certainly Peter W, Leonie and Jay will be most welcome.

For New South Wales members:-
Thank you for your further e mail to the Minister for Roads and Freight about
electric vehicles. The Minister has asked me to respond on his behalf.
As you are aware, the NSW Governmentis currently considering electric
vehicles and their usage as part of a broader NSW registration policy review.
The review is investigating alternative registration charging structures that
promote improvements in vehicle emissions and vehicle safety.
A public discussion paper outlining the proposed reforms will be released soon
on the Government's Have Your Say website( Have Your Say - Current Consultations).
A copy of the discussion paper will also be emailed to you when it is released.
I encourage you to make a submission in response to the proposals outlined in
the discussion paper.
lf you have any further questions Ms Kelly Miller, Registration policy Manager
at Transport for NSW, would be pleased to take your call on (02)8265 7437.
I hope this has been of assistance.

the above from Ray Williams MPParliamentary secretary for Transport and Roads. I will post the relevant info here once received, for others to also make submissions.

Thank you for your further e mail to the Minister for Roads and Freight about
electric vehicles. The Minister has asked me to respond on his behalf.
As you are aware, the NSW Governmentis currently considering electric
vehicles and their usage as part of a broader NSW registration policy review.
on the Government's Have Your Say website( Have Your Say - Current Consultations).
A copy of the discussion paper will also be emailed to you when it is released.
I encourage you to make a submission in response to the proposals outlined in
the discussion paper.
lf you have any further questions Ms Kelly Miller, Registration policy Manager
at Transport for NSW, would be pleased to take your call on (02)8265 7437.
I hope this has been of assistance.

the above from Ray Williams MPParliamentary secretary for Transport and Roads. I will post the relevant info here once received, for others to also make submissions.

Stellar work, do you mind sharing what ideas you fronted to then? Hopefully they are going to introduce effective reforms!

Nicely done. Thanks for sharing. I'll also write to him. It'd be fantastic to have stamp duty waived, and transit lane access!

Hmm, when did you place your reservation? I haven't heard anything yet! Hoping someone makes contact with the Melbourne reservation holders soon. Incidentally, I'm pretty keen on the brown, but will reserve judgement until I can see a sample!
If your considering brown like I am try to see the sample in the daylight as the sample Stone showed us last week did not do it justice when viewed inside at night. IMHO the Brown colour changes the most depending on the ambient light. The car I drove in 2012 was brown and pretty much convinced me it was the right choice.

An official response from Tesla and JB in particular.:-
JB shared your message with me: we discussed and I respond on behalf of Tesla -
- The Model S in Australia will have the EU type inlet and will be compatible with single and three-phase currents
- Model S comes standard with an onboard charger and a 40 amp single phase wall connector.
- For customers who ordered the dual chargers, we will provide later (estimated date: Q1 2015) a higher power wall connector, 80A single phase or 32A three-phase, based on the customer's preference. The more powerful connector will be provided free of charge to customers who ordered the dual chargers.
- We will develop, in time, a supercharger network in Australia. Given the multiple projects we manage at the moment, the first superchargers should not be expected until early 2015 - that's an estimate and not a guaranteed date.
- An optional 10 amp mobile connector compatible with Australian and New Zealand type 3112 electrical outlets will be available for purchase after delivery (availability planned in Q1 2015)
- The Model S is compatible with public charging stations using an IEC 62196 standard connector

This information will be available on the Australian website when we release it.