Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just had the privilege of going for a ride in the P85+ with Stone (thanks mate, beers on me). Anyone who's hesitating on purchasing or seeing the vehicle, don't (sorry for the extra 'work' Stone). Its truly a more stunning car in the flesh and better than any picture, video or online content that I've seen. It's scaling, dimensions are magnetic to say the least. Same goes for the performance of the car. I currently own an Evo X (hp+ enhanced) which are known for their performance and it's right up there with it. Acceleration is an indescribable instant, with the faintest of whining from the electric motor. Finish and detail of the car is to a level of perfection that my OCD couldn't comprehend. User interface (17in and dashboard) are an IT geeks heaven. I don't see how BMW, Mercedes, Audi or any other manufacturer and compete with this (expect massive price discounting on their 'Australian pricing' soon). Tesla shorters, time to switch teams, your time is up! Anyone deliberating on it and it's within your budget, get it, this is what we go to work for, I truly can't think of better reason/toy :) (and that's without engaging environment or running costs into it).

I've just had the privilege of going for a ride in the P85+ with Stone (thanks mate, beers on me). Anyone who's hesitating on purchasing or seeing the vehicle, don't (sorry for the extra 'work' Stone). Its truly a more stunning car in the flesh and better than any picture, video or online content that I've seen. It's scaling, dimensions are magnetic to say the least. Same goes for the performance of the car. I currently own an Evo X (hp+ enhanced) which are known for their performance and it's right up there with it. Acceleration is an indescribable instant, with the faintest of whining from the electric motor. Finish and detail of the car is to a level of perfection that my OCD couldn't comprehend. User interface (17in and dashboard) are an IT geeks heaven. I don't see how BMW, Mercedes, Audi or any other manufacturer and compete with this (expect massive price discounting on their 'Australian pricing' soon). Tesla shorters, time to switch teams, your time is up! Anyone deliberating on it and it's within your budget, get it, this is what we go to work for, I truly can't think of better reason/toy :) (and that's without engaging environment or running costs into it).

I think Stone needs to use your review on their website! I'm glad to hear you had fun. :)

Good work Slugga! Glad to hear you had a great time.

Hey all. Just registered but been an avid reader over the last few months. Thanks for the great posts by the way :smile:

Tell me does anyone know what a set of 21" Turbine wheel will cost if purchased on their own after the purchase of the car?

Does anyone have something definitive from Tesla regarding deliveries to New Zealand? The last official word from Tesla was that there is no word, and before that it was that deliveries were in the first quarter of 2014.

The official word is: Don't hold your breath. I have given up waiting and am moving my reservation to the UK, being the only RHD English speaking 7-seater Model S market.

Steve

Does anyone have something definitive from Tesla regarding deliveries to New Zealand? The last official word from Tesla was that there is no word, and before that it was that deliveries were in the first quarter of 2014.
No, in answer to your question. In my experience, they are a tight lipped mob. One day they don't know anything, next day prices released and 3 days later VINS assigned. What does assigning a VIN mean in regards to production date? don't really know. My guess is that we will be produced very shortly - a week to 10 days. That seems to be the case in European/ USA market.

Thanks SteveWest and Dborn. My problem is that I want to stop using fossil fuels. For all I know Tesla will now not deliver to New Zealand at all, or perhaps not for years. I have an alternative in the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, which will at least get me mostly off petrol. It seems that the sensible thing for me to do is to cancel my reservation and purchase the Outlander :-(

As mentioned in one my my earlier post, I've been interested in a Model S after testing one in Hong Kong over a year ago. With no dates/price for NZ and a need for a new car it's very disappointing. We just tested the new Audi RS6 yesterday and I was simply amazed with it. As OCD as you claim to be, the coaching (leather/stitching) in the Tesla still needs a bit of work from what I remember in my Hong Kong test :smile:.

If we go ahead with the RS6 purchase it will mean we can't purchase the Model S for quite a few years. But hey who knows maybe we will swap the M3 for a Model S a few years down the track when they actually sell them in NZ.

Has anyone driven the new RS6 and compared it to the Model S (ignoring the fuel usage)

Has anyone heard any rumours about Tesla's intentions re using the Dual Carbon Batteries in the future? I wonder if they'll have a battery pack upgrade option.

It's a new promising battery tech, but no word on manufacturing partners or mass production as far as I've heard. I wouldn't count on them rolling out to the back catalogue, but I would imagine that this gigafactory will be looking at many emerging technologies.

It's a new promising battery tech, but no word on manufacturing partners or mass production as far as I've heard. I wouldn't count on them rolling out to the back catalogue, but I would imagine that this gigafactory will be looking at many emerging technologies.

+1

One thing we don't have to worry about is Tesla getting stuck in their ways and just going with the current lithium battery tech forever and ever. It's a company that has grown quickly because of innovation, and it won't be long before countries like China start copying the technology, so Tesla will be forced to innovate continuously just to stay ahead.

I just read a few comments about the stockholders meeting they just had, and someone asked about emerging battery tech, and Elon said that everytime he asks them to show him a working sample, they all shut up. As soon as someone comes up with a viable commercial alternative, whether it be dual carbon, bio-fuel, quantum widgets or hydrogen cells, I'm sure Tesla won't be too far from licencing it off them.

Well I've got about 7 months until I order my Tesla. Who knows, maybe there will be a Dual Carbon battery pack upgrade option then :wink:

My day job is certainly NOT being a sparkie - so thank you for your informed comments.
Separate to the thread here, I'd started a thread for the sparkies on renovateforum.com.
Alas, I'm now thinking that what i thought was a 63A circuit breaker on the master switch is likely just a master switch and not a CB.
So likely I'd need that changed over from a safety perspective.

Not sure if these forums allow cross-linking forums but if they do, other thread is at How big can an individual circuit be (Melb/VIC/single phase)

The advice provided by chalkyt (on the renovation site) is pretty much correct for the information you provided. I did not see any hot water load so I assume you have gas hot water heating.

It seems it may be worth checking with both your electrician and local supply authority to see if you can increase your loading. The electrician will tell you what the mains, switches and distribution board can handle or what needs changing. The electrician can also contact the supply authority for advice of what they will supply, based on their rules and capacity in your street.