Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received the August edition of Wheels magazine today in the post and the Model S has finally been added to the "showroom" tables at the rear of the magazine.

Tag line: Space-age electric celebrity
Plus : Multiple global 'Car of the year' awards; incredible mega-tablet centre stack; modernity
Minus : Charging time; are ultra-conservative luxo buyers ready for a progressive car like this?
The Pick: As a triumphant single-finger salute to the Europeans, any Model S you choose

Three models listed 60, 85 and P85.

They only were testing the charging and testing for effects on the grid. Also, I think for them to have it juiced up for a comfortable trip back to the Sydney base. I think it fed in about 100ks for that 2 hours.

Looks like you were running 32A, (7kW), so 7x2=14kWh. At around 5km/kWh you fed in 70km. :)

I went for a test drive on Sunday just after the cars & coffee gig. Very happy with the torque, I'm interested now to drive an S rather than the P+ to compare handling and power, mind you I think that I will have my S85 before the second test drive car arrives here. This is the first car that I've ever bought without doing a proper test drive first!

Well just returned from my test drive. The HUGE news is that a whole bunch of new cars arrived yesterday. How many? Closely guarded secret, but I know that none have been delivered to Melbourne yet. They had a multicoat red on show. Beautiful colour and slightly darker than Ferrari red, ( there happened to be a Ferrari parked there at the hotel as well).
About the Tesla. Amazing car to drive. Drove the P 85+. It is everything you have read about. Very refined and the power comes on beautifully. Takes all of 2 mins to get the feel of it, especially if you have driven a large .car previously. I had a Lexus LS 420 some years ago and this car is slightly smaller than that. It does not feel American at all. The fit and finish are great as is the comfort of the seat. The rear seat is indeed low for someone of average height. I am about 5 ft 10. My wife and daughter, both much smaller were totally comfortable back there. My head did touch the roof.
The power is very refined as I said, but at very low maneuvering speed ( the drive at the hotel is quite tight) it is totally controllable with comfort and ease. The turning circle is not bad for a big car, but not amazing bearing in mind that there is no engine in the front. However on the open road, there is no issue, and driving in fairly heavy traffic over the Anzac bridge, requiring frequent lane changes felt totally natural. Bear in mind that I currently drive a Merc B class, the controls all felt natural. If you come from a British or Japanese car there is going to be a large learning curve since indicators and cruise control are on the left hand side, with gears and parking brake stalk where otherwise the indicator would be. The cruise control stalk is Mercedes, and will talke getting used to for those who have never driven a Merc.
Regen, even in standard could be stronger for my taste. When I drove the roadster, it was more aggressive, which I liked. This could certainly be addressed with a software update so who knows. The steering settings, personally I liked the sport. Only slightly heavier, but really more positive. There is NO body lean, to the point that my car disinterested daughter actually commented on this quite spontaneously.
All in all, I am VERY happy with my choice of new car. This is the first car I have ever bought without first test driving, and I think it is going to be a hit. The interior is what you read about, so won't repeat here.
NOW, BRING ON OUR CARS!!
I have to wonder whether any of the cars just landed here are actually customer cars. They may be.

Last edited:
Well just returned from my test drive. The HUGE news is that a whole bunch of new cars arrived yesterday. How many? Closely guarded secret, but I know that none have been delivered to Melbourne yet. They had a multicoat red on show. Beautiful colour and slightly darker than Ferrari red, ( there happened to be a Ferrari parked there at the hotel as well).
++Snip++
Regen, even in standard could be stronger for my taste. When I drove the roadster, it was more aggressive, which I liked. This could certainly be addressed with a software update so who knows. The steering settings, personally I liked the sport. Only slightly heavier, but really more positive. There is NO body lean, to the point that my car disinterested daughter actually commented on this quite spontaneously.

I have to wonder whether any of the cars just landed here are actually customer cars. They may be.

Interesting. I'd be keen to see the MC red as well as the pearl white. Since you are a sig holder Id expect that your status would have changed, mine still says sourcing parts and I'm res holder #21. Exciting.

I also liked the sport steering setting, and had no problems with the controls - but I've been driving Porsche and BMW for the last 14 years so the indicators are second nature. I thought that the regen wasn't bad compared to the roadster, and from what I gather its the same actual amount. Since the car is heavier the effect is less noticeable though.

I was also impressed with the standard tint on the windows. For years I've tinted the windows on my cars for both security (hard to see in) and heat/UV rejection. I'm not sure that I'll need to on the S.

Interesting. I'd be keen to see the MC red as well as the pearl white. Since you are a sig holder Id expect that your status would have changed, mine still says sourcing parts and I'm res holder #21. Exciting.
No, mine still says sourcing. I am only surmising that there may be owners cars here. I have no idea how many cars are here as of this week. For certain, I can only say one other than the blue we all know about. Must say that I didn't look at the tint. Will look again next time I see the car. Yes, I was told that the amount of regen is the same as the roadster. It simply doesn't feel that way. I actually forgot about regen when I first began my test drive, and was driving using the brake as per my regular drive. I did not find it that noticeable. It sure hits you in the face on the roadster though!

No, mine still says sourcing. I am only surmising that there may be owners cars here. I have no idea how many cars are here as of this week. For certain, I can only say one other than the blue we all know about. Must say that I didn't look at the tint. Will look again next time I see the car. Yes, I was told that the amount of regen is the same as the roadster. It simply doesn't feel that way. I actually forgot about regen when I first began my test drive, and was driving using the brake as per my regular drive. I did not find it that noticeable. It sure hits you in the face on the roadster though!
I certainly noticed it - maybe it was set to low when you drove it?

I had the grey and just bought an MC red. I actually sold the grey one within a week. The red is unbelievably beautiful! But attracts a lot more attention

I ordered the MC Red based upon the rendering on a variety of computer screens. I'm glad the colour gets a wrap. It may attract more attention but it's so good looking, to paraphrase the great philosopher Doris Day, I'm happy to "shout it from the highest hills".

The Tesla guys told me the red would be here soon - I'm going to try to see it next week. A bit like the test drive though, I'm not going to change anything. It's all in reverse than every other car purchase I've made but it just makes it more excited (and slightly insane).

After a quick drive today, it is clear that this is one of the most important cars produced. It is great to drive, looks great. Quite possible the best car ever? It would appear so. I think everyone who has ordered one should to their best to get as many sales as possible. While this is counter intuitive, it means better support, more charging stations. It also creates a strong company which we have to rely on. My challenge is to at least make one additional sale.

After a quick drive today, it is clear that this is one of the most important cars produced. It is great to drive, looks great. Quite possible the best car ever? It would appear so. I think everyone who has ordered one should to their best to get as many sales as possible. While this is counter intuitive, it means better support, more charging stations. It also creates a strong company which we have to rely on. My challenge is to at least make one additional sale.

Great work Ascientist, I support that notion.

Can you please elaborate a bit on what you liked most about the car? Perhaps something that was unexpected? Or even if there was something that wasn't as good as you had hoped?

Agreed. I've already referred a bunch of people.

I also think it's funny that many of us have now run into each other without realising it.

James stated that the MC Red is heading to Melbourne tomorrow and two others arrived on Friday.