Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi chaps,
lurker with first post.
I drove the Model S yesterday and as expected was VERY impressed. Quite a beautiful car - most unusual for an American vehicle. While it is a big car I was surprised at how good it felt in Sydney traffic and how easy it was to manoeuvre in tightish spaces.
Not much chance to try the acceleration but a very short squirt gave some hint that it will be hard to "behave" all the time.

Stone and James both very friendly but guarded re the usual questions such as when for car deliveries, mobile charging cables, numbers of orders confirmed etc etc.
Supercharger availability question was met with "probably sooner than you might expect". And Sydney Melbourne Hume highway most likely first roll out. Great for me as I live just south of Queanbeyan and travel to Goulburn fairly frequently

i was somewhat stunned to find that the car will not come with the tire pump/repair kit as standard equipment. $50 (on the US site) extra- quite astonishing considering the cost of the car.
Apparently there is still no decision re provider for road side assist or ISP. I was assured that they will be finalised soon and both will be free when available.
While this is not the first car I have ordered sight unseen (that was my second Prius) I am now certain I made the right decision to buy.
Mine will be 85, silver, pano roof, leather, tech, audio,19" wheels, parking sensors,dual chargers.
And with a bit of luck almost always charged via solar via my spare PV capacity at home.

I can't seem to find details of status of the order on the my tesla account site- and hints?

jim

Hi chaps,
lurker with first post.
I drove the Model S yesterday and as expected was VERY impressed. Quite a beautiful car - most unusual for an American vehicle. While it is a big car I was surprised at how good it felt in Sydney traffic and how easy it was to manoeuvre in tightish spaces.
Not much chance to try the acceleration but a very short squirt gave some hint that it will be hard to "behave" all the time.

Stone and James both very friendly but guarded re the usual questions such as when for car deliveries, mobile charging cables, numbers of orders confirmed etc etc.
Supercharger availability question was met with "probably sooner than you might expect". And Sydney Melbourne Hume highway most likely first roll out. Great for me as I live just south of Queanbeyan and travel to Goulburn fairly frequently

i was somewhat stunned to find that the car will not come with the tire pump/repair kit as standard equipment. $50 (on the US site) extra- quite astonishing considering the cost of the car.
Apparently there is still no decision re provider for road side assist or ISP. I was assured that they will be finalised soon and both will be free when available.
While this is not the first car I have ordered sight unseen (that was my second Prius) I am now certain I made the right decision to buy.
Mine will be 85, silver, pano roof, leather, tech, audio,19" wheels, parking sensors,dual chargers.
And with a bit of luck almost always charged via solar via my spare PV capacity at home.

I can't seem to find details of status of the order on the my tesla account site- and hints?

jim
Welcome to the club!! Log in to Dashboard, and if you have confirmed the order, that is, waived the 2 week cooling off period, there should be a picture of the car you ordered in colour, and in the line immediately below the picture left side should the car you ordered (S85) and the VIN assigned, or your registration number if not assigned. Next to that on the right, your order status - mine says Order conformed, we have begun sourcing parts for your car, then further right on the same line is a button for you to view your design and specified inclusions. Scroll down further for more info, but we don't have expected delivery dates yet, but lower down is where they will be. Hope this helps.

Welcome to the club!! Log in to Dashboard, and if you have confirmed the order, that is, waived the 2 week cooling off period, there should be a picture of the car you ordered in colour, and in the line immediately below the picture left side should the car you ordered (S85) and the VIN assigned, or your registration number if not assigned. Next to that on the right, your order status - mine says Order conformed, we have begun sourcing parts for your car, then further right on the same line is a button for you to view your design and specified inclusions. Scroll down further for more info, but we don't have expected delivery dates yet, but lower down is where they will be. Hope this helps.

Looking at the confirmed orders spreadsheet, it seems VIN is usually allocated about 4 days after confirming the order. Is this the norm or are you guys just lucky? :D

Hi Cynix,
Based on normal USA timelines your VIN appears about 5 to 6 weeks before production.
It was different for the early Australian orders as the orders were placed some time ago, 2 years in my case, up to 5 years.
I suspect they were allocated before we confirmed which explains why they appeared very soon after. Two days in my case.
If you have only recently placed an order it may take longer, but that's speculation. Let us know when you get your VIN.

Thanks Dborn- got it
vin ****8422
sourcing part

t.PNG

Hey does anyone know the route for the Sydney test drives? Does it happen to go to the head of La Perouse? I wanna do some Model S spotting :D

Test drives last weekend were from the Darling Hotel in Pyrmont Street Pyrmont. I wasn't able to go as I was out of town.
Not sure if or where they will be held this week-end or if its by appointment only.
Debating whether to ask for a test drive or not as I don't know if it will make the wait easier or harder. :crying:

Last edited:
The test route is along Harris street onto the Anzac bridge turn up Victoria road into Balmain, then do a U turn and head back to Pyrmont and back to the starting point by circuitous route. Gives you chance to check turning circle (fair), some acceleration (on the bridge), and manoeuvring (around the hotel driveway.) I believe bookings are essential, but i could be wrong.

Does anyone know how the production cars will attach the front numberplate? I hope that it isn't just stuck on the front of the nosecone like an unsightly pimple? Does the browser work when the cars are in motion in the production versions?

I'm pretty sure that if you say nothing they will simply drill holes in your lovely new nose cone. :scared: I will be asking to attach the front one myself, probably with zip ties through the lower grill until I can come up with something better.
Thinking I will order one of these.

I'm pretty sure that if you say nothing they will simply drill holes in your lovely new nose cone. :scared: I will be asking to attach the front one myself, probably with zip ties through the lower grill until I can come up with something better.
Thinking I will order one of these.
They know how to charge for it - wow!!
I am not sure, but i seem to recall that there was a moulded plastic base plate on the front of the nose cone, and the plate sat on that. It is, however, likely drilled into the nose cone. Given that by law we have to have plates permanently mounted, in contrast to some states in the USA, frankly, i don't think it makes any difference. Also placing the plates over air intakes for air con is probably not a good idea in our climate.

i seem to recall that there was a moulded plastic base plate on the front of the nose cone, and the plate sat on that. It is, however, likely drilled into the nose cone. Given that by law we have to have plates permanently mounted, in contrast to some states in the USA, frankly, i don't think it makes any difference. Also placing the plates over air intakes for air con is probably not a good idea in our climate.

Yep, the front plate was mounted on a carrier.