Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The nav system needs serious work, comparing it with say a Tom Tom. It really is quite rudimentary. At present, you cannot change the spoken voice from the nice US lady. Stone initially thought you could, but apparently the alternative voice is British, and he thinks that this has been removed for Australia to avoid offending us. Probably will be fixed in a future upgrade. As he says, things are a bit chaotic. They have only been open 2 days and it is a bit like herding cats!!

As a Kiwi I don't take offence to a British voice and I prefer it to American. Is that the same in Oz?

@mellocom Thanks for answering via twitter (my alias there is struftepete)!
In fact I posted here over 24h ago but as a newbie here the post needed to be approved by a moderator. The result is that it got burried by 17 other posts. Here is what I posted:

First, a super congratulations to all of you who have been patiently awaiting the Tesla launch in Australia. What a relief it must be to finally have the car delivered!
I have been lurking here since many months and this is my first post here, now that I am preparing to place order very soon...

JFK, we also will have to wait for the SC to be installed in QLD, and for the service center in Brisbane, a bit disappointing, but somewhat understandable that Tesla decides about their funding priorities.
I do believe that setting up SC between Byron Bay and Noosa should attract a lot of potential buyers waiting for this infrastructure and clearly, I am not the only one as it seems Tritium has decided this is the way to go: Tritium Launches Fast Cities Network Charging Initiative in Eastern Australia - Electric Cars Report

Does anyone here already know the specs of the soon to be supplied Tesla mobile chargers for Australia and if these will have the necessary adapter to allow us taking juice from the Tritium Veefil fast chargers?

While I hadn't yet received Mark Melocco's tweet answer, I did some further digging into this topic and contacted Paul Sernia, Commercial Director. He thought that Tesla doesn't have an appropriate Chademo adaptor...
Then again there is a Tesla forum thread here where you can read Tesla is preparing an adapter but it's still in Beta and not deliverable yet and no-one seems to have a clue as to when...
However, more recent information shows the Chademo adapter to be available for the N-American Model S only!
Anyone here knows more here?
If based in QLD and you want to drive a little further away from home, what are the alternatives?

So, here is some news. Our cars are delivered with the Rdio app for playing music on demand. You request "play Crackling Rosie by Neil Diamond" and it is supposed to search and start playing your request. You need an Rdio account. There are free accounts and paid ones. However, Our cars are not happy with the free account. My computer and iPad are and will play the requested music. The car merely turns up its nose and says "cannot play basic account". I am reluctant to purchase a paid account until i am certain that the car will play it. I don't need the service on my iPad or computer. Stone is fully in the picture and has seen the message on my 17inch. I am now waiting on feedback from him which i think is going to take some time, but should be available "soon".

This is one of my biggest gripes about Tesla.

Dborn DO NOT go out and purchase a paid Rdio subscription because Tesla does not support it. It only supports the free version of Rdio. Even if you pay for a subscription, and use that account, you won't be able to use any of its features. I don't understand why they haven't integrated the full features, it's just silly, but I'm sure there must be a commercial reason behind it.

The Rdio account can be reset - there's a thread on it somewhere in the forums.

But the biggest problem is this: without the paid account, you can only search for specific songs and listen to a radio station that Rdio creates from that song. You can't play by artist, or album or create playlists - which I find very annoying. It's one of the things that Tesla really need to work out with Rdio. Or alternatively, do another deal with another provider like Spotify.

Let us know what Stone says about it....

Dborn DO NOT go out and purchase a paid Rdio subscription because Tesla does not support it. It only supports the free version of Rdio. Even if you pay for a subscription, and use that account, you won't be able to use any of its features. I don't understand why they haven't integrated the full features, it's just silly, but I'm sure there must be a commercial reason behind it.

But the biggest problem is this: without the paid account, you can only search for specific songs and listen to a radio station that Rdio creates from that song. You can't play by artist, or album or create playlists - which I find very annoying. It's one of the things that Tesla really need to work out with Rdio. Or alternatively, do another deal with another provider like Spotify.

I know that Tesla are a relatively small car company and can't do everything at once but as the media system is an important although not crucial part of the user experience it seems to have been strangely neglected with no major fixes of the many had implemented features.

I understand you can stream spotify via Bluetooth?

"January 2015" edition of Wheels magazine has an 8 page (yes 8 page) local review of the Tesla Model S.

All variants discussed. They took a P85 (the red test drive car) on a days driving around and seem pretty impressed overall.

Statement at one point that "Tesla model S ought to be on your sports sedan shortlist"

BUT WAIT, that is not all!

It also gets a later one page write up as a nominee for Car Of The Year. Results of that are due at end of January...

http://m.drive.com.au/car-of-the-ye...the-year--overall-winner-20141209-122w62.html

Drive Car of the year. Model S narrowly beaten by new Mercedes C class. Still encouraging to see further coverage of it's capability in mainstream articles.

Argh this ranking irks me. They cite the lack of charging infrastructure as the reason the Tesla lost out on first spot, because it doesn't give "freedom" in some cases. This is just absolutely bogus and reflects old world thinking. Electric cars give you MORE freedom because you wake up every day with a full charge. It's more convenient. It gives us freedom from foreign oil. Not to mention that it gives 99% of drivers the same range freedom as an ICE 95% of the time. To say that you lose out on car of the year because of the tiny percentage of people who drive more than 50km a day, or that tiny percentage of your life when you'll take a huge road trip, is just ridiculous. It's driven by fear, not logic.

I know Tesla have done supremely well just to make the list, but at the same time I hate seeing the same reasons come up again and again, when they have very little basis in reality.

Argh this ranking irks me. They cite the lack of charging infrastructure as the reason the Tesla lost out on first spot, because it doesn't give "freedom" in some cases. This is just absolutely bogus and reflects old world thinking. Electric cars give you MORE freedom because you wake up every day with a full charge. It's more convenient. It gives us freedom from foreign oil. Not to mention that it gives 99% of drivers the same range freedom as an ICE 95% of the time. To say that you lose out on car of the year because of the tiny percentage of people who drive more than 50km a day, or that tiny percentage of your life when you'll take a huge road trip, is just ridiculous. It's driven by fear, not logic.

I know Tesla have done supremely well just to make the list, but at the same time I hate seeing the same reasons come up again and again, when they have very little basis in reality.
The stuck in the mud range anxiety problem. I would be interested to know for normal everyday driving (what most cars are actually used for) the comparable proportion of people that run out of petrol compared to people running out of electricity.

The statistical likelihood is just like the car fire hype, which I had to defend the other day to someone. Reminding them they knew of a person whose car only two weeks ago, that caught fire due to hot catalytic converter on dry grass after driver crashed. They went on to blame the stupid driver for doing a crazy manoeuvre and running of the road onto grass.

The stuck in the mud range anxiety problem. I would be interested to know for normal everyday driving (what most cars are actually used for) the comparable proportion of people that run out of petrol compared to people running out of electricity.

The statistical likelihood is just like the car fire hype, which I had to defend the other day to someone. Reminding them they knew of a person whose car only two weeks ago, that caught fire due to hot catalytic converter on dry grass after driver crashed. They went on to blame the stupid driver for doing a crazy manoeuvre and running of the road onto grass.

Anyone who brings up the fire issue with me gets referred to this rather unfortunate event.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/fishtail-link-in-fiery-triplefatal-car-crash-20120504-1y2w7.html