Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dborn, doing a bit of searches here in this thread I found your post from 21/05. Is the information given in your post still valid or were there any changes?
And, in short, given Tesla's doesn't plan any SC for 2015 for QLD, if driving from Sydney to Sunshine Coast QLD or the other way round, what do you assume to be the best and most realistic charging options?

An official response from Tesla and JB in particular.:-
JB shared your message with me: we discussed and I respond on behalf of Tesla -
- The Model S in Australia will have the EU type inlet and will be compatible with single and three-phase currents
- Model S comes standard with an onboard charger and a 40 amp single phase wall connector.
- For customers who ordered the dual chargers, we will provide later (estimated date: Q1 2015) a higher power wall connector, 80A single phase or 32A three-phase, based on the customer's preference. The more powerful connector will be provided free of charge to customers who ordered the dual chargers.
- We will develop, in time, a supercharger network in Australia. Given the multiple projects we manage at the moment, the first superchargers should not be expected until early 2015 - that's an estimate and not a guaranteed date.
- An optional 10 amp mobile connector compatible with Australian and New Zealand type 3112 electrical outlets will be available for purchase after delivery (availability planned in Q1 2015)
- The Model S is compatible with public charging stations using an IEC 62196 standard connector

This information will be available on the Australian website when we release it.

Dborn, doing a bit of searches here in this thread I found your post from 21/05. Is the information given in your post still valid or were there any changes?
And, in short, given Tesla's doesn't plan any SC for 2015 for QLD, if driving from Sydney to Sunshine Coast QLD or the other way round, what do you assume to be the best and most realistic charging options?

This is all still accurate, plus Tesla now sell an IEC 62196 type-2 to type-2 cable (aka Mennekes) for $300 to plug into compatible charging stations.

I don't like your chances of being able to drive from Sydney to Sunshine coast before the supercharger rollout is complete.
Take a look at plugshare.com and change the settings to only show Mennekes, Tesla HPWC (Model S) and Tesla SuperCharger
There's a big gap between Terrigal and Brisbane.

There's a handful of J1772 (type 1) chargers in between, but that still leaves a 600km gap, and Tesla don't supply a J1772 adapter to suit our cars.
Some forum members have sourced their own - see the Mobile-charging-for-Australia thread on this forum for details

Having said that, if you are really patient and happy to wait up to 40 hours per full charge, I'm sure you can find places to charge at 10A with the mobile connector to be released next month.

Some enterprising guys drove their Model S from Texas to Panema "with 20 home-made adapter cords, and charged by plugging in wherever,including receptacles for stoves, A/C units, or by hot wiring into what electrical supply they could find."

http://www.hybridcars.com/from-usa-to-panama-in-a-tesla-model-s/

MDK is correct. The only thing I can add is to look up Chargepoint. They do have a few additional stations going up the coast but as MDK says, you will need a Type 2 to Type one adaptor, to use their charge stations. And Tesla, to my knowledge, has no plans to produce one. I actually asked Jerome Guillen that question many months ago and that was his reply. The reason appears to be that they are too generic!! In the States they do make such an adaptor, but not to Type 2. It is to the Tesla connector which is proprietary.
Registering with Chargepoint is free, and you only pay if you use their equipment. Worth going into their site, though. I also quoted a response from them about Type 2 connectors earlier this thread.

MDK is correct. The only thing I can add is to look up Chargepoint. They do have a few additional stations going up the coast but as MDK says, you will need a Type 2 to Type one adaptor, to use their charge stations. And Tesla, to my knowledge, has no plans to produce one. I actually asked Jerome Guillen that question many months ago and that was his reply. The reason appears to be that they are too generic!! In the States they do make such an adaptor, but not to Type 2. It is to the Tesla connector which is proprietary.
Registering with Chargepoint is free, and you only pay if you use their equipment. Worth going into their site, though. I also quoted a response from them about Type 2 connectors earlier this thread.

most of the chargepoint locations are on plugshare. at the moment plugshare is the most up to date map of charging locations in Australia. just be careful of old better place gear while it is type 2 for the tesla a lot has been decommissioned and all of it requires rfid cards which are hard to come by. and yes there is a big gap between Newcastle and Macadamia castle

And a slight correction you only pay to use chargepoint if there is a price set. most are free. except kanagroo island SA it's $2.80 an hour and chargepoint sydney office. how chargepoint work is you pay $5k-$12k to install the equipment then you get to pick the price. and chargepoint look after servicing, user access and phone support etc..

This is all still accurate, plus Tesla now sell an IEC 62196 type-2 to type-2 cable (aka Mennekes) for $300 to plug into compatible charging stations.

I don't like your chances of being able to drive from Sydney to Sunshine coast before the supercharger rollout is complete.
Take a look at plugshare.com and change the settings to only show Mennekes, Tesla HPWC (Model S) and Tesla SuperCharger
There's a big gap between Terrigal and Brisbane.

There's a handful of J1772 (type 1) chargers in between, but that still leaves a 600km gap, and Tesla don't supply a J1772 adapter to suit our cars.
Some forum members have sourced their own - see the Mobile-charging-for-Australia thread on this forum for details

Having said that, if you are really patient and happy to wait up to 40 hours per full charge, I'm sure you can find places to charge at 10A with the mobile connector to be released next month.

Some enterprising guys drove their Model S from Texas to Panema "with 20 home-made adapter cords, and charged by plugging in wherever,including receptacles for stoves, A/C units, or by hot wiring into what electrical supply they could find."

http://www.hybridcars.com/from-usa-to-panama-in-a-tesla-model-s/

Yes it would be a long long trip for sure. Not sure but most if not all caravan parks have 15A outlets so maybe 30 hours for a full charge? It'd still take about a week to get to the Sunshine Coast.

Best realistic outcome for 2015 I think would be for a Supercharger at Bulahdelah and destination chargers at Coffs Harbour & Byron Bay. That would equate to a 3 or 4 day trip.

Last edited:
Tesla 'stand' is at the double helix fountain (has been turned off for almost a decade because of the drought) outside the Myer lower level entrance. They will be in this location for at least one year with 'a store opening if there is demand in this area of Melbourne' [Ed: Yes, there is, they obviously want into Chadstone but there is no room at the moment] and Tesla is probably negotiating terms with Chadstone management for a store but there is no room until the current redevelopments finish in 2016. They are adding ~50 stores and rebuilding the cinemas inside the shopping centre and building a 10 level hotel/office block over the other side which could possibly have a ground level shop for Tesla but it would not be directly connected to the shopping centre interior.

There are five HPWC located in the lower level of the Myer carpark, just to the right of the entrance, embossed tesla logo on the support columns and also a small storage room for Tesla with external signage. Tesla currently cannot talk about sales/prices because they have yet to gain a sales license so they could only refer people to the website (which is how the car is bought anyway so no huge issue)

Huge crowds were interested in it today, probably the first time the average person has ever heard about Tesla, a lot of people asking questions for the three attendants (one external contractor who only knew the basics and two tesla staff, won't name names but they'll be working here for a year)

It looks like only the one car doing Test drives at the moment with the other car on display (I suppose they could swap them out but probably only after hours due to it being busy inside) and no doubt other cars will be based out of the Richmond/Cremone service centre and can drive to Chadstone for demos if the demand is high.

XGfT0CQ.jpg

pBQ2xIX.jpg

aV27epl.jpg

5WZngDG.jpg

Info on the HPWC on display:
0jvomgq.jpg

Gj77cBX.jpg

One of the five HPWC for customers/Tesla to recharge at, lower level Myer Carpark:
w3AK4UM.jpg

Y7rmBVs.jpg

MDK, Dborn, Gabz, WhiteStar, thanks a lot for your answers!
Gabz, doing some further DD on the web I noted your excellent fact sheet http://noronha.id.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Level_3_Charging_Stations_Factsheet.pdf
MDK, thanks for pointing me the other thread, lot's of reading and study to do...
With regards to the caravan parks, looking to the website from K-Mac Powerheads, it looks like some campings may have also 3 phase available, has anyone looked into this?
And further, 3 phase 32 Amp or 3 phase 63 Amp may also be available at some marinas, see Comsen Powerheads model EXTREME Service Pillar (MX1200).
Could a HPWC be connected and function properly with these 3 phase outlets? There are plenty of marinas along the coast between Brisbane and Sydney: New South Wales Marina Map

After this post I can continue to discuss this topic on the other thread pointed out by MDK

That is fascinating! More details please! Where do you mount the various components? Did you do the install yourself? Which products did you use?

I wrote about it here: #25

The thread got more or less hijacked by a "famous" Tesla accessory installer, who is doing a 3000 USD system which looks all around the car (also including a video recording function). I tried to get it cleaned out but mods haven't responded.

Anyway, I was surprised there wasn't much interest. I guess that places where space is plentiful, people don't need to worry about it, but in Hong Kong, "curb rash" is easy to get as road are simply not made for larger vehicles like a Model S.

You can pursue the 360 degree solution or go for mine. I am still testing, and since this thread is long enough already, I suggest you go to #25 instead. You can also read about the 360 system there, there is even a separate thread for it (yes there is a link in the thread).

So as I am still testing, the camera is actually attached with tape (!). It's a waterproof fish eye camera, about 140 degrees FOV, that comes with a cheapo dash cam - so cheap it doesn't even have a brand name! It has a few issues and I don't suggest you chase it up - I need to find something better first. I also have a separate LCD which I might end up using. The camera that comes with the dash cam has minijack and the LCD i got has cinch video - so I need to measure which wire is what, so I can attach it. The plan is to have a very simple system for the "electronic mirror", while I want the dash cam separate.

Actually, I mainly got the dash cam because of the two waterproof wide angle cameras it came with. I tried to chase that kind of cameras up but couldn't find it. I am not at home now and quite busy with work, family and other projects but will get back to it soon. It has priority for me to get it up and working soon as my wife will start to drive the car soon (she just got her license, this will be her first car to drive. In Hong Kong. Good luck to us!)

- - - Updated - - -

Question for those who have taken delivery of autopilot equipped cars: have you mounted your e toll tag yet, and if so, is it working? Can you please post where you mounted it. I crossed the harbour bridge once in the loaner and merely held the e toll tag up to the windscreen, it failed to go off.

In Hong Kong we have something called AutoToll. Mounting it behind the windscreen, even next to the mirror, isn't the best. If your e toll doesn't have any buttons you need to operate, consider mounting it behind the nose cone cover.

More details here #5 - including a further link to how to remove and replace the nose cone.

In Hong Kong, Tesla did it for me a few days after I took delivery of the car. When I got my car back, they had also supercharged it AND washed it. It's quite easy to do, and with hundred passings or so, so far, I have never had a "fail". In Hong Kong, there is a red light at the AutoToll, and it turns green briefly as you pass it, to show you it worked. I always watch the light and so far it didn't even fail once.

Nose cone job is the way to go :)

By the way, I have made a Wiki / alphabetic index for Hong Kong Tesla owners. Though some of it is Hong Kong specific, I am sure you can benefit from it too, maybe use it as a draft to make your own AU wiki?

See here:

http://tinyurl.com/teslawiki shortcut tinyurl dot com slash teslawiki

I assume you have your charger installed? It will be interesting to see if you have to register the Tesla as a one cylinder car!

You don't seem to be on Timpoo's spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...4s1RrsB36osBMglgZMQWpGsKA/edit#gid=1639906180 If you post your config details Tim will update the SS.

Cheers
David

Tim,

My car on order is a pearl white P85+ maxed out. Black performance interior, carbon fibre trim, 21" grey wheels, pano roof. Original deposit paid August 2010. Order confirmed 30/5/2014, chassis number xxxx46610. Currently showing in preparation for delivery.

Michael

Notes from my first week:

Whilst I expected the car to be different there are a few funny things that require you to recalibrate your responses. Whilst having read similar on TMC the actual experience is a little different.

• I grew up worrying about flattening the battery. It is strange not worrying about leaving the lights on and not having the engine running.
  • Ditto for the aircon etc – very strange to have all the accessories on whilst stopped or to leave the aircon on whilst leaving the car for a time.
  • Ditto for leaving everything on whilst in a closed garage.
  • Ditto walking away without worrying about locking the car.
  • I had an odd experience when driving Red Dwarf for the first time. Waiting to turn right I had used the gear lever rather than the turn indicators. As the car was in neutral it did not go anywhere when I accelerated - no response at all to the pedal. In an ICE, as the engine roars, the feedback is immediate. In the Tesla just silence. Took a second for me to realise what had happened (I also felt a goose).
  • Charging is quicker than I anticipated and a very easy routine. I am very relaxed about higher electricity usage – particularly compared with the MB or RX8 which use premium fuel. I can monitor electricity usage daily (I don’t) but get sent a weekly summary in any case. I am not fussed as the fuels cost will be around 20% compared with the other cars.
  • I did a drive through hilly country (Mt Dandenong) and was surprised how much power was recovered on the way down.
  • I am wondering if spirited driving (as opposed to 0-100km runs for demo purposes) will actually be reasonably efficient - assuming you use the regen to do most of the braking. Obvious but I had not thought of this!
  • The regen is fantastic – this gives great control in general driving but is particularly nice when on a windy road. You can largely control the entry and exit using your power pedal – no lag, no power build up but power on tap = instant control and finesse.
  • Driving this car in a spirited manner is exhilarating and very different to my previous cars. I have pushed the Tesla but not as hard as I could have - I am not sure how a two tonne car Tesla would behave when out of sorts…
  • I don't know what the acceleration figures are for 0-60 km but this would have to be faster than anything on the road. It is blindingly quick from the lights.

A couple of minor issues:

• The broadcast radio reception is woeful – I assume this will be fixed by Tesla at the same time as they address the DAB issue. I will take this up with them, and
  • I have mixed feelings about my family being able to monitor my movements…

One other drawback - I do expect to chew through the rear tyres fairly quickly.

Cheers
Higgy

PS by charging being easy I meant establishing the few seconds habit/routine.

Last edited:
I agree with most of your points. Really strange leaving everything on when you get out of the car.
Despite coming from a Merc with the exact same stalk setup (but without the gear stalk, i still am tempted to use the gear stalk as an indicator!! Hasn't actually happened, but the feeling is strong.
I am amazed by how much response from all over the web I have had to the wheel kerbing issue. So many in the same boat and with huge amounts of driving experience.
I still find the turning circle, especially in reverse to be woeful. Have not yet nailed that.
But as for driving dynamics..... amazing, as you say. AND i am driving the S85!!. Did drive the P+ for a couple of days, and yes the acceleration was a bit more spirited, but not a lot, and for around town, the feeling was identical. I am happy that i did not spring for the upgrade. No buyers remorse here!!

Thanks Dborn & Higgy for the comments. Great to get a feel for the car even if it is vicariously. Seems all positive except it highlights the long wait ahead for me.

Totally agree about regen. Feels like you're riding a dinosaur when you're forced to drive an ICE car again. Tesla's implementation is so right while on my Nissan Leaf it is so wrong :)

Higgy re chewing through those tires, I anticipated the same so I bought rear suspension upper links to reduce the camber by 1 deg saving the inner areas of rubber from premature wear on the P+. Includes tooling and a $200 refund when returned to OpenEV store. I no longer need them due to my order change. If you, or if not, anyone else with a P+ is interested, send me a PM. Discounted with fast delivery.

Rear Upper Suspension Link for Tesla Model S OpenEV Store

IMG_20140721_134703_1_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
Higgy I think the radio reception is a global issue - many people have said it's bad. I don't know if it's a calibration issue or what. I would recommend programming your favourite channels into TuneIn - although listening to AM radio on TuneIn make all the announcers sound too "clean" - makes me yearn for AM!