Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I missed it.. please recap what was said. thanks

Via: Tesla, Inc. (TSLA) Q3 2019 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool

Pierre Ferragu -- New Street Research -- Analyst

Okay. Sorry for that. So, I was wondering how your thinking has evolved on Model S and Model X. It looks like the deliveries have stayed to the deliveries of the previous quarter and that Model 3 has indeed cannibalized the demand for these cars, quite a big deal. So how are you thinking about these two models going forward? What's the strategy you have in mind? And I have a quick follow-up on the Model Y.

Elon R. Musk -- Founder, Chief Executive Officer & Director

The Model S and X are really niche -- they're really niche products. I mean, they're very expensive, made in low volume. To be totally frank, we're continuing to make them more for sentimental reasons than anything else. They're really of minor importance to the future.

Okay. That makes sense. And then, my question...

They're great cars. The Model S I think if you want -- I mean, the Model S literally won Motor Trend's best car ever in history by the way. I think if you're out there and you're buying -- and you don't buy a Model S, I think you just made a mistake, to be totally frank. It's incredible, especially the new one with variable damping suspension, hospital operating room, HEPA filter for air purification, the raven powertrain. It's the fastest car in the world, and it's just so easy to drive. It makes you feel like Superman driving that car. It's incredibly safe. It's just an amazing vehicle. And then, Model S, I think, is like Faberge egg of cars. I mean, not Model X. Model X is like the Faberge egg of cars. Yeah, that's why so many artists and musicians buy the car. It's an art piece basically.

Zachary Kirkhorn -- Chief Financial Officer

Yeah, just to add -- I agree. They're absolutely phenomenal cars. And we are increasing production on our S and X lines for this quarter in response to increasing demand. And so, I think part of the story here is, as we have launched, ramped and stabilized Model 3, that's kind of consumed a lot of the attention around the company. But now as that has stabilized, we're able to focus our attention and balance that between S and X and Model 3. So, the delivery numbers in Q3 understated the interest in the product for that quarter. And we continue to see strength in the order rate, which we anticipate will be reflected in S and X deliveries in Q4.

I mean, Model S -- basic Model S at this point has a range of 370 miles. Actually, technically it's 373, but we actually certified it incorrectly as 370, but it's 373. And there are some software improvements that we think will make that even better. I forgot to mention, we're also expecting there's going to be an over-the-air improvement that will improve the power of the Model S, X, and 3. That's, by the way coming in a few weeks. Should be in the order of 5% power improvement due to improved firmware. Drew, do you want to say anything on that?

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Well, I think actions speak louder than words here - and releasing raven + very public testing of next years plaid Powertrain shows that there is continued investment in S. Would expect interior revamp next year with the release of plaid.

The bigger problem is the broken service organization.
Also likely that the Model S is just a mule for Roadster plaid - easy to test inconspicuously. Maybe after Porsche announced their Taycan as the fastest production EV around the track, Elon's inner showman kicked in and he decided to send the mule to Germany to try to best them. Notice that Tesla never tested there before, so why else suddenly now?

No argument about the service organization, parts supply chain included.

You are all driving niche cars that Tesla makes for sentimental reasons.

No one is going to invest in hobby cars.

RIP hope of MCU 2 refit.

Confirmed date of death: FY2019Q3 conference call.

:(
I wonder what Tesla plan is for when they experience a shortage of MCU1's to refurbish, but still are expected to support cars for their expected life of 10-20 years.

Via: Tesla, Inc. (TSLA) Q3 2019 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool

Okay. Sorry for that. So, I was wondering how your thinking has evolved on Model S and Model X. It looks like the deliveries have stayed to the deliveries of the previous quarter and that Model 3 has indeed cannibalized the demand for these cars, quite a big deal. So how are you thinking about these two models going forward? What's the strategy you have in mind? And I have a quick follow-up on the Model Y.

The Model S and X are really niche -- they're really niche products. I mean, they're very expensive, made in low volume. To be totally frank, we're continuing to make them more for sentimental reasons than anything else. They're really of minor importance to the future.

Okay. That makes sense. And then, my question...

They're great cars. The Model S I think if you want -- I mean, the Model S literally won Motor Trend's best car ever in history by the way. I think if you're out there and you're buying -- and you're going to buy a Model S, I think you just made a mistake, to be totally frank. It's incredible, especially the new one with variable damping suspension, hospital operating room, HEPA filter for air purification, the raven powertrain. It's the fastest car in the world, and it's just so easy to drive. It makes you feel like Superman driving that car. It's incredibly safe. It's just an amazing vehicle. And then, Model S, I think, is like Faberge egg of cars. I mean, not Model X. Model X is like the Faberge egg of cars. Yeah, that's why so many artists and musicians buy the car. It's an art piece basically.

Zachary Kirkhorn -- Chief Financial Officer

Yeah, just to add -- I agree. They're absolutely phenomenal cars. And we are increasing production on our S and X lines for this quarter in response to increasing demand. And so, I think part of the story here is, as we have launched, ramped and stabilized Model 3, that's kind of consumed a lot of the attention around the company. But now as that has stabilized, we're able to focus our attention and balance that between S and X and Model 3. So, the delivery numbers in Q3 understated the interest in the product for that quarter. And we continue to see strength in the order rate, which we anticipate will be reflected in S and X deliveries in Q4.

I mean, Model S -- basic Model S at this point has a range of 370 miles. Actually, technically it's 373, but we actually certified it incorrectly as 370, but it's 373. And there are some software improvements that we think will make that even better. I forgot to mention, we're also expecting there's going to be an over-the-air improvement that will improve the power of the Model S, X, and 3. That's, by the way coming in a few weeks. Should be in the order of 5% power improvement due to improved firmware. Drew, do you want to say anything on that?
and you're going to buy a Model S, I think you just made a mistake,
Is there a "not" missing in that sentence? He obliviously loves the MS and isn't planning on killing it. Elon's point is that the S and X are not worth worrying about as far as sales go and cannibalization by the M3 and MY. Kind of a lame way to make his point, but he made up for it by talking about how great the Model S is. Go test drive a new S and a new 3 back to back and you'll see how superior the S is.

and you're going to buy a Model S, I think you just made a mistake,
Is there a "not" missing in that sentence? He obliviously loves the MS and isn't planning on killing it. Elon's point is that the S and X are not worth worrying about as far as sales go and cannibalization by the M3 and MY. Kind of a lame way to make his point, but he made up for it by talking about how great the Model S is. Go test drive a new S and a new 3 back to back and you'll see how superior the S is.
When I listen, it sounds like Elon said "and you don't buy a Model S, I think you just made a mistake", not "and you're going to buy a Model S, I think you just made a mistake". He just mentioned how it was a named Motor Trend's best car in history and backs it up, saying it's a mistake not to buy one.

The audio is just over 51 minutes into the call: https://edge.media-server.com/mmc/p/z7r768gm

Scottf200's post has been corrected.

As someone in Houston who recently went through the MCU replacement process, I can confirm that it is still just an MCU1. I asked about an MCU2 upgrade specifically and they told me that my car is too old and not compatible (2013 P85).
Ok still MCU1. Tesla wants to replace my 2014 Model S MCU since it “died” so they say without giving a reason why. How is the company not liable for an internal defect they’ve know what happen? I wish has the number of MCU failures

On this topic.
I don’t see any problems, except for the tuner.
As an experiment, temporarily replaced MCU2 with MCU1
All systems except IBS (12 volt current sensor), Homelink (solved by switching one of the LIN-bus) and IC sees - albeit with a different version (this is easily solved on MCU1).

In general, in principle, a reverse transition is also possible - along with replacing the IC, switching some wires and reconfiguring the car

MCU1 2016 2018.32.2
MCU2 2018 2019.32.12.2

MDLX P100D 12/2018

Attachments

• IMG-9890.JPG
    IMG-9890.JPG
    451.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG-9883.JPG
    IMG-9883.JPG
    501.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG-9887.JPG
    IMG-9887.JPG
    480.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG-9889.JPG
    IMG-9889.JPG
    495.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG-9884.JPG
    IMG-9884.JPG
    658.9 KB · Views: 70
On this topic.
I don’t see any problems, except for the tuner.
As an experiment, temporarily replaced MCU2 with MCU1
All systems except IBS (12 volt current sensor), Homelink (solved by switching one of the LIN-bus) and IC sees - albeit with a different version (this is easily solved on MCU1).

In general, in principle, a reverse transition is also possible - along with replacing the IC, switching some wires and reconfiguring the car

MCU1 2016 2018.32.2
MCU2 2018 2019.32.12.2

MDLX P100D 12/2018
Did MCU2 IC still work with MCU1?

They proved to be interchangeable enough. I don’t take autopilot into account yet. Need to try.

There was another thread regarding HW3 upgrade. An owner with MCU1 and 2.5 and fsd was upgraded to HW3. Tesla called him back and said they had to downgrade him back to 2.5 because mcu1 was not compatible with hw3

Really don't need numbers. Cars begin to die around the 4-5 year mark
That’s quite a blanket statement that doesn’t serve anyone well without clarification. Specifically, what do you mean by this? All cars, by any manufacturer, ‘begin to die’ at 4-5 years? Only Teslas begin to die at 4-5 years?

It’s a big difference replacing a part at 4-5 years as opposed to your entire vehicle ‘beginning to die’. What statistics & evidence do you have for this statement?