Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is it's basically kernel messages that are being logged to the eMMC. Those could be useful during development, but probably not so much in a production vehicle. It's not the "black box" type data that being logged there (or if it is, it's not that much compared to the kernel logging).

I’m pretty sure every airplane black box has every log entry of every computer in the plane. The thing is, you never have too much data when you analyze these things. Cause and effect chains can be long and surprising.

• Disagree
Reactions: darxsys
I’m pretty sure every airplane black box has every log entry of every computer in the plane. The thing is, you never have too much data when you analyze these things. Cause and effect chains can be long and surprising.

That's not really here or there, since this is not an airplane. The logging that is destroying the eMMC isn't worth destroying the eMMC over. And they have other places they could save the data that wouldn't be so catastrophic, if they really wanted to!

Not quite true. There are two "black boxes" on airplanes required to have flight data recorders per their type certificates:
- The flight data recorder (FDR) which measures key parameters and records them
- The Cockpit Voice Recorder which captures audio from the various radios, the pilot and co-pilot headsets and the ambient cockpit noise (a mic in the ceiling).

The FDR does NOT capture every entry or the logs from all the computers onboard. What it does capture is key flight perameters including speed, altitude, attitude, control stick and throttle positions, control surface positions, engine parameters, etc. There are many parameters captured (especially on the new, digital FDRs, but it is NOT analogous to a computer log. Rather think of it as snapshots of key system configurations, orders, positions and flight parameters.

All that said, it does appear that Tesla is logging a bunch of stuff which is appropriate in a prototype for testing/data collection which should not be logged in a production model...

My understanding is it's basically kernel messages that are being logged to the eMMC. Those could be useful during development, but probably not so much in a production vehicle. It's not the "black box" type data that being logged there (or if it is, it's not that much compared to the kernel logging).

And we have our own hacker, @verygreen, saying that he thinks that while the kernel logging contributes to the problem he isn't sure it is the majority of the problem.

In a car crash a log that does not exist does not provide much value. I’m quite sure Tesla does sync logging without writeback.
/me waves.
no they don't. do sync logging, it's all async and they even increased commit time on ext3 to 120 seconds lately.

But I suspect it's really all those sqlite updates they do all the time that do them in (sure, it's a compounding problem and logs play a role too as do other writers)

Chaserr, if you read my preceding post, I think you can guess where I stand in this debacle - if not, I think it is completely fubar and Tesla is very late on the ball. Of course you are right, but I think you’d agree that there is some level of distinction here - if the repair to fix a “dead” car is five bucks, it’s no big deal - but when it is several grand (like in this case), it sucks. And if it is tens of thousands... so deadness is related to cost of repair...

All this talk of dead, and what constitutes "dead" made me remember...

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: T-Mom and thebishop
/me waves.
no they don't. do sync logging, it's all async and they even increased commit time on ext3 to 120 seconds lately.

But I suspect it's really all those sqlite updates they do all the time that do them in (sure, it's a compounding problem and logs play a role too as do other writers)
I'm pretty sure regardless of commit time, fsync on a dirty sqlite database will also force everything else before it to be committed too assuming it's on the same filesystem. Or do they turn off ordered journaling too?

(Coming to think about it, the fix for obscene fsync IO delays on Linux only went into ext4 IIRC...)

Not quite true. There are two "black boxes" on airplanes required to have flight data recorders per their type certificates:
- The flight data recorder (FDR) which measures key parameters and records them
- The Cockpit Voice Recorder which captures audio from the various radios, the pilot and co-pilot headsets and the ambient cockpit noise (a mic in the ceiling).

The FDR does NOT capture every entry or the logs from all the computers onboard. What it does capture is key flight perameters including speed, altitude, attitude, control stick and throttle positions, control surface positions, engine parameters, etc. There are many parameters captured (especially on the new, digital FDRs, but it is NOT analogous to a computer log. Rather think of it as snapshots of key system configurations, orders, positions and flight parameters.

All that said, it does appear that Tesla is logging a bunch of stuff which is appropriate in a prototype for testing/data collection which should not be logged in a production model...

Sorta agree ... depends on the aircraft and airline. Delta even uses vibration sensors to predict failures before they actually occur. Different parts (bearings mostly) resonate at different frequencies. The data is sent to a Maintenance Control Center that will get the part and the jet to the same location so the maintenance can be done proactively which ensures operational reliability for the customers, increased safety and lower cost than having the thing go "KABLOOEY" in timbukto-nowhere.

Aircraft use ancient standards for data logging. But on top of those systems are datalinks that are beaming systems condition, switch positions and performance data to the operator's management in real time.

Whoever designed Tesla's autopilot hardware obviously had some knowledge of autoland hardware and certification in aircraft. The system redundancy in my M3 is basically CAT3b in aviation certification speak.

IC1 and IC2 are the same in connection, but completely different in functionality. I tried at the stand to connect MCU2 to IC1 and vice versa - to no avail, it does not work. Replacement only with a pair of MCU / IC. Further, the most significant software problem, since intel is much more closed than tegra. Also, besides this, switching to MCU2 will be a little more difficult for pre-styling MCU1s until the beginning of the 15th year with 3 top-row connectors on the back of the MCU - there you will have to spend considerable time on repositioning the CAN and LIN buses. Such work was carried out when replacing the first generation of MCU1 with the second, from a machine of 15 release

So the main difficulty is a connector mismatch? Something that Tesla would be able to very easily solve, correct? Seems like a a simple harness adapter would allow an easy upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 from what you're saying here. A DIY upgrade without a pre-made harness would be more difficult though.

So the main difficulty is a connector mismatch? Something that Tesla would be able to very easily solve, correct? Seems like a a simple harness adapter would allow an easy upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 from what you're saying here. A DIY upgrade without a pre-made harness would be more difficult though.
You do not quite understand me correctly. The connectors are fully consistent - but to install the first generation MCU from the second or MCU2 in the machine, you will have to reconnect some of the wires in the upper row of connectors. Some adapters and adapters are harder and longer to do than just rearrange the pins in the connectors.

To replace IC1 with IC2, you don’t need to touch anything at all, everything works and so

• Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
Sorta agree ... depends on the aircraft and airline. Delta even uses vibration sensors to predict failures before they actually occur. Different parts (bearings mostly) resonate at different frequencies. The data is sent to a Maintenance Control Center that will get the part and the jet to the same location so the maintenance can be done proactively which ensures operational reliability for the customers, increased safety and lower cost than having the thing go "KABLOOEY" in timbukto-nowhere.

Aircraft use ancient standards for data logging. But on top of those systems are datalinks that are beaming systems condition, switch positions and performance data to the operator's management in real time.

Whoever designed Tesla's autopilot hardware obviously had some knowledge of autoland hardware and certification in aircraft. The system redundancy in my M3 is basically CAT3b in aviation certification speak.
I may have mis-understood the original post. The term flight data recorder has a specific meaning and is in reference to the crash-survivable unit which captures key data for accident investigations. That is different that the various computers pulling data for maintenance purposes (especially in modern airliners where so many systems are computer controlled). As you mention, those units (where maintenance used to hook up a cable to download data) now often transmit data continuously to the airline's maintenance system so that maintenance can do trend analysis, predictive maintenance and be prepared with the necessary tools and parts when the plane lands. My recollection is that most of this data is stored in some sort of nonvolatile memory in the avionics bay but is not protected from crash/impact/etc. in any way like the FDR.

I think the simple truth is that Tesla will not make this a priority until all of the MCU1s are gone. Once that happens, like magic, there will be an upgrade option!

The problem with that is that unless everyone pays the core charge and keeps their failed MCU there will always be more for them to refurbish. And they can always raise the core charge to discourage people from keeping them.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I'm pretty sure regardless of commit time, fsync on a dirty sqlite database will also force everything else before it to be committed too assuming it's on the same filesystem. Or do they turn off ordered journaling too?

(Coming to think about it, the fix for obscene fsync IO delays on Linux only went into ext4 IIRC...)
they use ordered journalling.

I did not investigate if they do sync db updates or not yet.

• Informative
Reactions: StefanSarzio
That's not really here or there, since this is not an airplane. The logging that is destroying the eMMC isn't worth destroying the eMMC over. And they have other places they could save the data that wouldn't be so catastrophic, if they really wanted to!

How come you think you know better than tesla what the relevance of the data is? They clearly want to keep that kernel alive and well, so there is probably quite a lot of relevant stuff running in it. Even with the latest software version all kernel logging is on while the car is moving. Now it shuts down while being parked, though.

• Disagree
Do they journal data as well? Default mount options journal metadata only. Data lands in the writeback and can be lost on crash. Default flush timer is set to 5 seconds I believe.
they are not journalling data, but ordered journal means that before transaction flushes all data referenced by transactions about to commit would be flushed. Also like I said they now set flush/commit interval to 120 seconds.

they are not journalling data, but ordered journal means that before transaction flushes all data referenced by transactions about to commit would be flushed. Also like I said they now set flush/commit interval to 120 seconds.
Do they also tweak the dirty_background_ratio and the (whatever it’s called _centisecs) which control how often pdflush writes out the write back cache? The journal commit interval alone won’t stop non-metadata dirty blocks from being pushed out to disk at a much more regular interval.

Do they also tweak the dirty_background_ratio and the (whatever it’s called _centisecs) which control how often pdflush writes out the write back cache? The journal commit interval alone won’t stop non-metadata dirty blocks from being pushed out to disk at a much more regular interval.
hm...

Code:
# cat /etc/sysctl.d/20-dirty-bytes.conf
# Start commiting dirty pages to disk as soon as they hit the cache.
vm.dirty_background_bytes = 5000