Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are the 2.0 cameras and 2.5/3.0 cameras compatible? I'm just wondering if Tesla might upgrade the 2.0 cameras during the swap (to reduce the number of configs to support). I can't imagine that being a big cost.

The front camera array has different brackets built into the windshield so a full camera swap would require a windshield replacement according to the mobile tech I spoke to.

Agree - but that is now what Tesla's webpage is indicating. That's one reason I was wondering if they might upgrade the cameras as well. It's probably just an oversight from Tesla on its website.

There is two things they can do.

1 - Take the red/greyscale cameras on AP2 cars and interpret into color. This is doable and takes a bit of processing power.
2 - Swap the cameras to color ones. I think this is more realistic, but who knows.

[QUOTE="allhands, post: 4531596, member: 45447
Has anyone received an invite to schedule your upgrade yet? I would think they would start sending them the day after the announcement...[/QUOTE]
A bit puzzled here. Why would you think that when practically every other announcement seems to take months before anything happens. A serious question. Inquiring minds want to know :)

You are making a wrong assumption about not easy to reach. I needed to have a pillar camera replaced on the X and I watched them do it.
I'm on my second pillar camera. One replaced in each pillar. I don't know why keep going "bad." About once a week I get the AP features limited, may be restored on next drive, but it usually doesn't restore for a day or two.

It is difficult to access where the tuner is located. It should be possible to swap the analog tuner with a new digital tuner and run the wiring to the new MCU but it would add hours of installation time.
If that's the case, then Tesla should offer it as a secondary more-expensive option and let the consumers decide if the cost is worth it.

Agree - but that is now what Tesla's webpage is indicating. That's one reason I was wondering if they might upgrade the cameras as well. It's probably just an oversight from Tesla on its website.

On the FSD page, they explicitly say that you'll get Sentry Mode with the MCU1-MCU2 and HW2.0-HW3.0 upgrade: "The FSD Computer upgrade does enable recording from all cameras with Sentry Mode and DashCam for vehicles previously equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and paired with the Infotainment Upgrade."

Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

I'm irritated. The more I read about this, the more frustration is rising within me. As an Oct 2016 model S owner who gave Tesla thousands of dollars 3 years ago for a promise, I now see nothing but the company telling me I need to spend even more money to bring my car to the full "FSD" experience that I was promised years ago. I understand they may be able to give me some sort of FSD experience with my MCU 1 by merely replacing the FSD computer, but I have watched them fail year after year to even bring anything other than highway autosteer as a reliable experience. Is it too much to expect some sort of acknowledgment from Tesla to those of us who invested early and eagerly in their vision? Some gratitude and willingness to upgrade whatever hardware is needed for the vision of FSD that the company now has. I invested in them. Couldn't they give a little back?

I'm irritated. The more I read about this, the more frustration is rising within me. As an Oct 2016 model S owner who gave Tesla thousands of dollars 3 years ago for a promise, I now see nothing but the company telling me I need to spend even more money to bring my car to the full "FSD" experience that I was promised years ago. I understand they may be able to give me some sort of FSD experience with my MCU 1 by merely replacing the FSD computer, but I have watched them fail year after year to even bring anything other than highway autosteer as a reliable experience. Is it too much to expect some sort of acknowledgment from Tesla to those of us who invested early and eagerly in their vision? Some gratitude and willingness to upgrade whatever hardware is needed for the vision of FSD that the company now has. I invested in them. Couldn't they give a little back?
No. they'll get you HW3. that's all you've paid for.

On the FSD page, they explicitly say that you'll get Sentry Mode with the MCU1-MCU2 and HW2.0-HW3.0 upgrade: "The FSD Computer upgrade does enable recording from all cameras with Sentry Mode and DashCam for vehicles previously equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and paired with the Infotainment Upgrade."

Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

Cool!. Stated more clearly than I remembered so they must have a solution.

It still seems reasonable to me that they will switch out the cameras for 2.0 owners. That way the whole FSD fleet has the same camera source for their processing (but it would still leave a slightly different radar). I don't know enough about how they process the camera data streams to know if having the same source is important. Another cheaper alternative is to simply enable b&w sentry mode for AP2 cars. Time will tell.