Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going with the fact that your advisor is not informed correctly and didn't read the contents of those part numbers. If you are still in the possession of your Tesla, do this. Reboot the MCU, bring up the browser and visit one of those "What is my User Agent" web sites and take a screen capture. Once you get y our car back, it is absolutely obvious if the MCU was replaced. Go back to the same web site and look at the results of the What its my User Agent. Next, let it download all of the games and the navigation map updates that will be required. You'll also have to setup your Bluetooth and Wifi all over again. All of this confirms that your entire MCU and IC was replaced.

No issues with Homelink. I didn't even had to re-code it. It was all still there, magically. I'm guessing they have a solid procedure to replace the Infotainment screens (MCU and IC) and bring almost all of your confirmation across (Wifi and Bluetooth excluded of course).

To late they have the car. Simply stated as seen on our newer Tesla's visual's will be the tell tale with the traffic cones wouldn't it? Without the HW3.0 computer we cant see cones. At least that was the case with our X, he was seeing stuff within a mile.

To late they have the car. Simply stated as seen on our newer Tesla's visual's will be the tell tale with the traffic cones wouldn't it? Without the HW3.0 computer we cant see cones. At least that was the case with our X, he was seeing stuff within a mile.

Yes, the visuals will be there, but you will have to do the double calibration, one for AutoPilot and one for the NoA cameras... But, to be honest, you'll touch the main screen and notice the MCU2 right away. Just drag the map around like you're on crack and you'll see the responsiveness like you've never seen before. The MCU performance is night and day.

Reactions: Gt1948
Yes, the visuals will be there, but you will have to do the double calibration, one for AutoPilot and one for the NoA cameras... But, to be honest, you'll touch the main screen and notice the MCU2 right away. Just drag the map around like you're on crack and you'll see the responsiveness like you've never seen before. The MCU performance is night and day.

OK Thanks, Now I just have to get the car back. Our X took almost a week to be done. My car sat there for a day before they even pulled it in.

Reactions: Gt1948
DONE!

My Infotainment upgrade has been completed. Dropped off my Model S on Friday, and picked up a few hours ago. Here's my details writeup.

-----

Here are the details that might interest some of you.
  • There is no FM/AM/XM radio. We knew that, but I just wanted to confirm this finding in the event you were hopeful.

If they ever fix that issue, I'll do the upgrade. Until then, I will stuck on MCU1 :(

DONE!

My Infotainment upgrade has been completed. Dropped off my Model S on Friday, and picked up a few hours ago. Here's my details writeup.

-----

Summary: This is possibly the best $2500 you will even spend on your Model S/X.

My Vehicle: 2017 Model S P100D, built and delivered in September 2017. It is equipped with MCU1, AP 2.5 and I have the Full Self Driving pre-purchased. It’s fully wrapped with a graphic wrap and had no issues with Tesla performing the upgrade. I was already running 2020.12 prior to the upgrade. Still running 2020.12 after the upgrade. I only noticed that they pushed out 2020.12 just once after it was all completed. I assume that the option codes were updated, so when 2020.12 was re-installed it added all of the new “stuff” that is supported on MCU2.

• You do get a new MCU screen. Mine still had the plastic protective wrap on it which I remove when I got into the vehicle.
  • You do get a new IC screen.
  • All settings are retained except for. (1) WIFI settings/connections, (2) Bluetooth settings/pairings, (3) Web browser favorites.
  • Trip values, and custom labels are retained.
  • Seat positions, mirror positions, and driver profile settings for each driver remain.
  • Navigation history and favorites are retained.
  • Favorite audio stations are retained (Slacker, and Tune-In)
  • Historical audio stations are also retained.
  • The warning “beeps” that Joe Mode reduces are much louder than with MCU1. This may freak you out at first, but it's loud. It will sure get your attention.
  • Two type of vehicle calibrations are needed. (1) One for Autopilot basic features, (2) One for lane changes with/without notification. If you go into the Autopilot Settings you’ll that the second one only starts to calibrate once the first one has been completed.
  • Wifi appears much quicker
  • LTE appears much quicker. It still connects to 3G when out of 4G and LTE range. The bar visuals have no change, but connection is much quicker.
  • The games had to be downloaded for the 1st time. You need Wifi for this.
  • There was a required Navigation update that had to be done over WIFI.
  • Overall, the MCU is 100x quicker. HUGE improvement in responsiveness. HUGE improvement in refresh of data on the screen.
  • Visuals on IC2 are 100x smoother and more detailed than before. Animation is 100x better as well, and so smooth.
  • All visuals (garbage cans, cones, lights, road markings, bike land markings, etc…) all appear on IC2
  • I did have to re-enable Ambient Lights. Maybe they turned it off during the install.
  • The scroll wheels are hugely responsive. Each scroll now is recorded whereas before I would have to scroll a few times for it to reduce the volume or the temperature (both scroll wheels behave the same, so it was not a defective scroll wheels). Now, they operate so smoothly and with immediate response.
  • I have the Premium Audio (which was standard on my MS). Before the upgrade I had a EQ that went to 12. Now it only goes to 8. It also has Immersive Sound with three options, however I tested it out with a variety of music (classical, dance, gansta rap, disco, pop, and Spanish), and they all sound the same. I think before I had Off and Dolby Surround. Now I don’t see Dolby listed anywhere.
  • The release notes, manual all appears immediately. No issues with a blank screen anymore.
  • YouTube works perfectly (like your iPhone in portrait mode where the vide is on the top, followed by meta-data below it). Sound quality is impressive for YouTube.
  • I got my USB Drive working again. Just plugged it in. Before I dropped it off, I got the “USB Full” false positive error that everyone is reporting (even on 2020.12), but when I just plugged it in after the upgrade, it works perfectly. Not too sure why as I had 2020.12 before and after the upgrade. Very happy that it’s recording both Sentry and Dashcam again. It’s the S500 - TeslaCam SSD Extreme from PureTesla if anyone is curious.
  • There is no FM/AM/XM radio. We knew that, but I just wanted to confirm this finding in the event you were hopeful.
  • I did not get to keep the old MCU1/IC1. There was a $1000 core charge if I wanted to keep it.
  • I did not notice any sort of USB charging speed increase (in case you were thinking that the amperage might be increased).
  • Before you drop off your vehicle, turn off any Vehicle PIN you might have setup. You will need to re-enable it once you get your Tesla back.
  • When you re-pair your Tesla with your iPhone, the name will now change to Tesla Model S followed by the name of your vehicle. Before the default was just Tesla Model S.
  • When I re-connected my Tesla to my home WIFI, it shows up with a new MAC address, and the manufacture of the chipset appears to be LG Innotek now (previously it was Parrot SA). I’ve only noticed a 2.4ghz connection, but I’m sure it will switch to 5.0ghz when it needs to download something heavy (software, game updates, another navigation update).
Note: I mention x100 throughout the above bullets not as a exact measurement, but as a emotion statement to indicate that it's so damn quick. It's night and day!

Great Review. Thank you so much. I requested an upgrade via the app and was politely told not to hold my breath as it will be at least 2 or 3 months. I live in Las Vegas.

No FM, no thanks. I’ll wait for a real upgrade, not a feature downgrade.
That was my initial thought, but after driving my Toyota SUV for the last week, I was reminded how poor the sensitivity of the MS's AM/AM radio is. I often go to fringe areas away from the city. With my Toyota, I have about 70 miles of radio range. With the MS, it's more like 20-25 miles.

I dropped my MS off at the SvC yesterday for a dead MCU1 (they haven't touched my car yet.) While I initially was going to get another MCU1, I'm now planning on the MCU2 upgrade. They did give me a pre-AP loaner and there were a bunch of FM stations from TuneIn in Recents. I've been playing with those and am satisfied with that as a replacement for OTA FM. I've also been playing the game "guess where the station is broadcasting from" based on their accents and the commercials. Reminds me of my Short Wave listening days as a kid :)

Reactions: MIT_S60 and Gt1948
But has anyone done it? This is the only thing holding me back from the upgrade. I use both FM & XM every day. What is everyone else doing for media after the upgrade?

It is very likely that Tesla will NOT do the programming step required on the vehicle to enable the new tuner. There is a group of people here that know how to reprogram the "gateway" to enable the tuner, but it is not for your everyday owner. Maybe @verygreen could explain how difficult it is and what special tools are necessary for doing that.

DONE!

-----

Summary: This is possibly the best $2500 you will even spend on your Model S/X.

My Vehicle: 2017 Model S P100D, built and delivered in September 2017. It is equipped with MCU1, AP 2.5 and I have the Full Self Driving pre-purchased. It’s fully wrapped with a graphic wrap and had no issues with Tesla performing the upgrade. I was already running 2020.12 prior to the upgrade. Still running 2020.12 after the upgrade. I only noticed that they pushed out 2020.12 just once after it was all completed. I assume that the option codes were updated, so when 2020.12 was re-installed it added all of the new “stuff” that is supported on MCU2.

• You do get a new MCU screen. Mine still had the plastic protective wrap on it which I remove when I got into the vehicle.
  • You do get a new IC screen.
  • All settings are retained except for. (1) WIFI settings/connections, (2) Bluetooth settings/pairings, (3) Web browser favorites.
  • Trip values, and custom labels are retained.
  • Seat positions, mirror positions, and driver profile settings for each driver remain.
  • Navigation history and favorites are retained.
  • Favorite audio stations are retained (Slacker, and Tune-In)
  • Historical audio stations are also retained.
  • The warning “beeps” that Joe Mode reduces are much louder than with MCU1. This may freak you out at first, but it's loud. It will sure get your attention.
  • Two type of vehicle calibrations are needed. (1) One for Autopilot basic features, (2) One for lane changes with/without notification. If you go into the Autopilot Settings you’ll that the second one only starts to calibrate once the first one has been completed.
  • Wifi appears much quicker
  • LTE appears much quicker. It still connects to 3G when out of 4G and LTE range. The bar visuals have no change, but connection is much quicker.
  • The games had to be downloaded for the 1st time. You need Wifi for this.
  • There was a required Navigation update that had to be done over WIFI.
  • Overall, the MCU is 100x quicker. HUGE improvement in responsiveness. HUGE improvement in refresh of data on the screen.
  • Visuals on IC2 are 100x smoother and more detailed than before. Animation is 100x better as well, and so smooth.
  • All visuals (garbage cans, cones, lights, road markings, bike land markings, etc…) all appear on IC2
  • I did have to re-enable Ambient Lights. Maybe they turned it off during the install.
  • The scroll wheels are hugely responsive. Each scroll now is recorded whereas before I would have to scroll a few times for it to reduce the volume or the temperature (both scroll wheels behave the same, so it was not a defective scroll wheels). Now, they operate so smoothly and with immediate response.
  • I have the Premium Audio (which was standard on my MS). Before the upgrade I had a EQ that went to 12. Now it only goes to 8. It also has Immersive Sound with three options, however I tested it out with a variety of music (classical, dance, gansta rap, disco, pop, and Spanish), and they all sound the same. I think before I had Off and Dolby Surround. Now I don’t see Dolby listed anywhere.
  • The release notes, manual all appears immediately. No issues with a blank screen anymore.
  • YouTube works perfectly (like your iPhone in portrait mode where the vide is on the top, followed by meta-data below it). Sound quality is impressive for YouTube.
  • I got my USB Drive working again. Just plugged it in. Before I dropped it off, I got the “USB Full” false positive error that everyone is reporting (even on 2020.12), but when I just plugged it in after the upgrade, it works perfectly. Not too sure why as I had 2020.12 before and after the upgrade. Very happy that it’s recording both Sentry and Dashcam again. It’s the S500 - TeslaCam SSD Extreme from PureTesla if anyone is curious.
  • I did not get to keep the old MCU1/IC1. There was a $1000 core charge if I wanted to keep it.
  • I did not notice any sort of USB charging speed increase (in case you were thinking that the amperage might be increased).
  • Before you drop off your vehicle, turn off any Vehicle PIN you might have setup. You will need to re-enable it once you get your Tesla back.
  • When you re-pair your Tesla with your iPhone, the name will now change to Tesla Model S followed by the name of your vehicle. Before the default was just Tesla Model S.
  • When I re-connected my Tesla to my home WIFI, it shows up with a new MAC address, and the manufacture of the chipset appears to be LG Innotek now (previously it was Parrot SA). I’ve only noticed a 2.4ghz connection, but I’m sure it will switch to 5.0ghz when it needs to download something heavy (software, game updates, another navigation update).
Note: I mention x100 throughout the above bullets not as a exact measurement, but as a emotion statement to indicate that it's so damn quick. It's night and day!

Please, could you elaborate on the 'There is no FM/AM/XM radio.' What is there if no radio?

A question, if I might. My Feb 2020 Model 3 came with FM radio, plus the streaming stuff. Are you saying you can no longer tune in FM stations directly?
I understand the lack of AM, the electronic "noise" generated by the Tesla wipes out AM radio, and some of the Amateur Radio bands. But no FM?
That would mean you can't even use one of the XM radios which connect through a vacant FM channel.