Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have used AP (FSD still being vaporware) and its variants a total of two times, once on my model 3 and once on a model S loaner car. Based on my experience it is not ready for prime time. I’ve had the car try to shift from the lane it was in to an adjacent lane with an 18 wheeler in that adjacent lane, brake for no apparent reason and do other unexpected things.

It sounds like you have a very small sample size using AP (n=2?). Sure, it's not perfect, and maybe it screwed up (what version were you on at the time?). But I have an AP1 car and use it constantly on the highway, and even AP1 does a pretty good job doing lane keeping, TACC, and lane changes (manually triggered). Perhaps if you tried using it many more times and learned how to use it, you'd have a better experience.

It also sounds like you expect AP to be completely autonomous, which it definitely is not, and won't be for a long, long time.

Anyone that thinks they can rely on the system on a highway at 90 mph plus is kidding themselves.

AP shuts itself down over 90mph, so nobody is relying on it at 90+ mph, nor should they, ever.

But I’m not willing to trust it at the speeds I typically drive on the highway.

If you typically drive 90+ then you shouldn't be on the highway to begin with, AP or no AP.

On to Round two with Tyson's.

They closed out my original ticket and just dropped it. They didn't do anything. I would not trust Tesla to follow up with you.

This morning they said it was a new ticket, from what I submitted yesterday. Infotainment upgrade only, The rest of my issues were dropped by Tesla. I want the upgrade done and will probably solve my other issues. IF not I will send it back yet again.

I had to use the touch-less check in. they now have a Q Code taped to all the windows. Scan it and start your check in similar to the units they had installed. They will call you and discuss work to be done, then email a ticket which you approve then they give you the Uber credits which are never mentioned now. I had my son pick me up. Left the keys in the car. I did see tech's running out looking for cars and grabbing the keys.

• Informative
Reactions: J__T and boaterva
MarcusMaximus - thanks a TON for that Tesla link I had never seen that before. How did you find it?
To me, I read it like you, that in May they are going to start/schedule HW3 installs for MCU1 cars (built before March 2018) for both AP2.0 & AP 2.5. Heck, by that time I may be legally able to actually leave my house!

turtlesz - appreciate your info from your service center about MCU1 HW3 updates coming soon (sounds like that's May).
Since you''re a SoCal guy like me, would you mind letting me know which service center you use?

I know you guys have all talked about how Tesla isn't exactly forthcoming with exact details. It would have been so much more clear if they would have just put the FSD options/hardware in a chart covering all the critical configurations (AP, MCU & dates upgrades are available).
There is so much great info on this board.

There’s a (somewhat inconspicuous) link to it from the infotainment upgrade support page. I don’t think I’ve ever managed to find it without either clicking on that link, or links posted on TMC. Searching for it on the support page is hopeless.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx
I was told by service that IF our mcu1 dies before our vin comes up we’d have the option if 1)upgrading to mcu2 by paying $1100 out of pocket if under warranty. Or 2)paying $2500 out of pocket if not under warranty.
Oh boy, now where did I put my sledge hammer :eek: Well, ok, I guess that would not be a warranty repair .:confused:

It's rather entertaining to me to read the threads from folks that can't seem to wait more than about 10 minutes to get the latest HW3, infotainment, software update, or new feature. It makes me wonder which is worse..... being a crack addict or a Tesla addict. :D I'm just going to wait a few months until all of this smooths out, regardless of the email I get.

There’s a (somewhat inconspicuous) link to it from the infotainment upgrade support page. I don’t think I’ve ever managed to find it without either clicking on that link, or links posted on TMC. Searching for it on the support page is hopeless.

Yep. I found that link in the Infotainment Upgrade page - I never bothered to click on that "Learn More About Full Self Driving" link. I guess I didn't think that link would lead to any info on HW3 install schedules. Dohh!
One would think (& one would be wrong) that Tesla would show link(s) under the Upgrade tab so you don't have to search for that info.

But, thanks again for the info.

On to Round two with Tyson's.

They closed out my original ticket and just dropped it. They didn't do anything. I would not trust Tesla to follow up with you.

This morning they said it was a new ticket, from what I submitted yesterday. Infotainment upgrade only, The rest of my issues were dropped by Tesla. I want the upgrade done and will probably solve my other issues. IF not I will send it back yet again.

I had to use the touch-less check in. they now have a Q Code taped to all the windows. Scan it and start your check in similar to the units they had installed. They will call you and discuss work to be done, then email a ticket which you approve then they give you the Uber credits which are never mentioned now. I had my son pick me up. Left the keys in the car. I did see tech's running out looking for cars and grabbing the keys.
That was fast. Last week you checked in and out with the kiosk..... (and, yeah, I didn't use Uber either).

I'm a patient man, AP2.5 FSD already purchased. My number (email invitation) hasn't been called since getting the original announcement email and won't bug Tesla about it at this time. Be interesting to see if I get notified before the next AP2.0 tier starts. I haven't read of anyone in Fla getting an invite although a few have apparently gotten it done by scheduling service.

Last edited:
I'm just going to wait a few months until all of this smooths out, regardless of the email I get.

Normally I would think like this myself, however, this being Tesla, for all I know they do 300 upgrades and then suddenly don't offer them anymore...
So, based on this logic, I think I'll jump on it as soon as it becomes available in my country for my AP2.0 MCU1 FSD car...

Reactions: MIT_S60
My car is upgraded, I'm getting text messages for software updates. Tesla texted me that the hardware is installed. Now it is shift change and there not sure if it will be complete by 6 and don't count on picking up tonight. plan on tomorrow.

Talking to them this morning, they make it sound like there all stocked up with parts to do these upgrades now. Again as soon as I requested service for the infotainment upgrade, they had me scheduled for the next day. The Covid is not keeping customers away, the lot is full.

So it probably wouldn't hurt to request the upgrade through your app for at least the 2.5 hardware groups.

I was told by service that IF our mcu1 dies before our vin comes up we’d have the option if 1)upgrading to mcu2 by paying $1100 out of pocket if under warranty. Or 2)paying $2500 out of pocket if not under warranty.
Otherwise the mcu1 ap1/no AP cars will be last to be offered the upgrade. They said maybe 6 months from now. (This was what I was told a week ago)
Has anyone else verified this?---My MCU1 is showing signs of going. I paid for FSD when I bought it 90,000 miles, 3 years ago.

Has anyone else verified this?---My MCU1 is showing signs of going. I paid for FSD when I bought it 90,000 miles, 3 years ago.

I have seen multiple reports of service center staff saying there will be no reduced fee upgrades as part of a warranty repair. And we have that one report saying they were told there will be.

So we really don't know at this point, but I would doubt it as it would encourage people to abuse their MCU to get it to fail under warranty to get a discounted uprgade.

Tesla Decatur (GA) service center tells me “We have not started to roll that out at Tesla Decatur yet!”, in response to my request to schedule the Infotainment upgrade.

Are there other SCs that haven’t started making (or even scheduling) these upgrades, at all, or did I just get ‘lucky’?

Normally I would think like this myself, however, this being Tesla, for all I know they do 300 upgrades and then suddenly don't offer them anymore...
So, based on this logic, I think I'll jump on it as soon as it becomes available in my country for my AP2.0 MCU1 FSD car...
yes, and I thought about that, though since I bought FSD and it appears that it won't become a reality with AP2 then I'll take my chances that they will need to update me at some point regardless of time.

I have seen multiple reports of service center staff saying there will be no reduced fee upgrades as part of a warranty repair. And we have that one report saying they were told there will be.

So we really don't know at this point, but I would doubt it as it would encourage people to abuse their MCU to get it to fail under warranty to get a discounted uprgade.

how would one go about “abusing” their MCU1 to get it to die faster. Not asking because I want to do it. (I’m in that if it ain’t broke category...don’t fix it ).....usually just using the thing will break it over time. I mean under warranty and we abuse. Wouldn’t that just void said warranty anyway? No two service centers can agree on things to save their lives.

thus whole thing is like when they came out with the 90 battery. The 85’s wanted to upgrade and we were to,d. Nope. Nope. Nope. Now the 85 dies and you get a 90.

• Funny
Reactions: Gt1948
Got my car back will report shortly. Definitely better.
Tysons is loaded with Y’s probably two truck loads Even charging over at the mall
5924436F-DAFB-44ED-A678-C85E8553CE11.jpeg
FB2A1E11-25C0-4108-9435-93E70D889499.jpeg

The MCU1 processor doesn't drive IC1 like happens with MCU2/IC2. And I think the processor in IC1 is even lower end than what is in MCU1.

MCU1 was supposed to have a second Tegra 3 processor dedicated to the dashboard display. The system is powerful enough to support navigation map display and the pre-FSD preview visualizations - it should be powerful enough to provide some indication of upcoming intersections and stop signs/lights.

Plus the Tegra 3 for the main console display should be powerful enough to run many of the MCU2-only apps, especially when those apps are running when the vehicle is parked and the MCU2 isn't doing anything else.

For most MCU2-only features, it's more likely Tesla has decided not to invest software resources to get the features running on MCU1 (which is a rapidly shrinking % of all Tesla vehicles).