Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to clarify, when you say "HW1" you mean AP1 (and not AP2.0)? Because if so, I think there's a communication breakdown somewhere along the line. There's no reason for Tesla to upgrade an AP1 car to AP2.x or AP3.0. I think he meant something different (i.e. more harnesses to replace for the MCU2 upgrade in an AP1 car). An AP2.x upgrade would require adding 4 more cameras where none existed before (two fender cameras and two B pillar cameras), upgrading 12 ultrasonic sensors, installing a new AP2.5 CPU where none existed before, and all the associated mounting, wiring, and harnesses. That would pretty much be a full strip-down. (see: Tesla Autopilot AP1 vs AP2 vs AP3 - Differences Explained - AutoPilot Review) And again why would they do that? You never paid for AP2.x/AP3 or EAP or FSD. I'm pretty sure when your wifes car has the MCU2 upgrade, it won't get an AP2.5 upgrade and what he said isn't what he actually meant.

Fully understand everyone’s concerns, just reporting back what he told me. My wife’s 2016 X has HW1/AP1, purchased “with convenience features” and MCU1. I told him that I scheduled the MCU upgrade for her car when I picked up my 2016 S HW2.0/MCU1->HW3.0/MCU2 upgrade and he told me to expect that it would be a much longer service because in addition to the MCU upgrade that they’d have to install the 2.5 computer and the additional work would basically double the job. He said computer, not the additional cameras. He was very specific and repeated it multiple times, That’s all I know. I’m not sure how the front/rear cameras on HW1 connect to MCU2 with the upgrade but that’d be my guess as the reason for the addition of the HW2.5 computer, if that’s a real thing

• Disagree
Reactions: ABC2D
My apologizes if this question has already been answered, this thread is quite long.
Has anyone who has received the infotainment upgrade noticed problems when issuing commands from the Tesla App? I have a 2016 (Oct manufacture model S) that recently was upgraded. Everything has been great until today I noticed I cannot unlock my car, or open the trunk from the app. Strangely enough some commands work, I can close or vent the sunroof.

My apologizes if this question has already been answered, this thread is quite long.
Has anyone who has received the infotainment upgrade noticed problems when issuing commands from the Tesla App? I have a 2016 (Oct manufacture model S) that recently was upgraded. Everything has been great until today I noticed I cannot unlock my car, or open the trunk from the app. Strangely enough some commands work, I can close or vent the sunroof.

Yep, common issue. Tesla missed a step in the upgrade. If I recall correctly they can fix it remotely. You just need to contact service and have them take care of it.

Fully understand everyone’s concerns, just reporting back what he told me. My wife’s 2016 X has HW1/AP1, purchased “with convenience features” and MCU1. I told him that I scheduled the MCU upgrade for her car when I picked up my 2016 S HW2.0/MCU1->HW3.0/MCU2 upgrade and he told me to expect that it would be a much longer service because in addition to the MCU upgrade that they’d have to install the 2.5 computer and the additional work would basically double the job. He said computer, not the additional cameras. He was very specific and repeated it multiple times, That’s all I know. I’m not sure how the front/rear cameras on HW1 connect to MCU2 with the upgrade but that’d be my guess as the reason for the addition of the HW2.5 computer, if that’s a real thing

Ok, but I still think he's very mis-informed. What purpose would it serve to install an AP2.5 computer into an AP1 car, without the cameras or sensors? (I'm not even sure where the AP2.5 computer would go?).
You'd maybe get sentry mode from the front camera? Would you be getting the Tesla AP software suite instead of Mobileye, but just the equivalent AP1 features -- only using one (or maybe two) cameras? It still doesn't add up. If I'm wrong, please report back and let us know what the heck is going on!

My car won’t connect if I launch the app and try to go straight to summon. It’ll say disconnect from vehicle and no matter how many times I click reconnect it won’t. But if I go to the controls tab first and let it connect so I can unlock or turn on climate then go back to summon it works fine.

Folks, can you please clear things up for me?

2014 MS85 AP1 with MCU1. Can I get MCU2 upgrade as of today July 15th, 2020 in Maryland, USA?
My MCU1 died and it is at SC, and they are saying I am not eligible for MCU2.

Thanks to akikiki, I got the below...but wanted to verify, as the information out there is very confusing.

The part number are:
MCU INTEL UPGRADE-For TegraAP1.0- NA(9874564-00-A) &
Info Upgrade with Replacement Touchscreen(1582613-00-A)

Did you go through this already? Sorry just asking how do you know this? I am getting so much push back from my SC so I am looking for any one that has done this recently..

I haven't personally, but multiple people that had their MCU1 fail, and were eligible for the MCU2 upgrade, were told that they could get the MCU1 replaced under warranty or they could pay $2,500 to upgrade to MCU2. (There is no discount offered because their MCU1 failed and would have to be replaced under warranty.)

I haven't personally, but multiple people that had their MCU1 fail, and were eligible for the MCU2 upgrade, were told that they could get the MCU1 replaced under warranty or they could pay $2,500 to upgrade to MCU2. (There is no discount offered because their MCU1 failed and would have to be replaced under warranty.)

That happened to me. I thought it made no sense for Tesla to install a new MCU1 and not do MCU2 for a slight discount (or do it at all in my case). I mean, even $2k would be a win-win and not really incentivize people to destroy their MCU1 because it is hard to choose to wear down an emmc and time it to get an MCU2 anytime soon. This is a 1-2 year long con to save $500.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
That happened to me. I thought it made no sense for Tesla to install a new MCU1 and not do MCU2 for a slight discount (or do it at all in my case). I mean, even $2k would be a win-win and not really incentivize people to destroy their MCU1 because it is hard to choose to wear down an emmc and time it to get an MCU2 anytime soon. This is a 1-2 year long con to save $500.

Was it worth the upgrade to MCU2?

Was it worth the upgrade to MCU2?

Yes but it was not my first choice to spend money right now during the pandemic inches from this economic bubble bursting.

I've discovered my kids both love Caraoke and a snappy MCU is good. I haven't touched the games or YouTube but maybe when road trips are a thing again...

I also love the fact the sound is processed better and that we will get all the features that come in the future.

My free MCU1 was pretty nice though, so it sucks throwing that away and paying 2500 but I don't regret it when looking at the big picture.

Yes but it was not my first choice to spend money right now during the pandemic inches from this economic bubble bursting.

I've discovered my kids both love Caraoke and a snappy MCU is good. I haven't touched the games or YouTube but maybe when road trips are a thing again...

I also love the fact the sound is processed better and that we will get all the features that come in the future.

My free MCU1 was pretty nice though, so it sucks throwing that away and paying 2500 but I don't regret it when looking at the big picture.

Thanks for sharing that insight. That is exactly what I needed. I guess I could also get MCU1 now since its free, then in 4 to 5 years when it fails get the MCU2 upgrade then...does that make any sense?

Thanks for sharing that insight. That is exactly what I needed. I guess I could also get MCU1 now since its free, then in 4 to 5 years when it fails get the MCU2 upgrade then...does that make any sense?

Sure but only if you are happy with mcu1 and it's limitations. Otherwise I figured if I'm going to spend the 2500 might as well get my money's worth and enjoy the differences. Mcu3 will be coming eventually and I'm not sure Tesla will do MCU2 upgrades in a year much less a month from now. Tesla is so disorganized and they've discontinued, without notice, programs like v3 battery for Roadster and P90DL to P100DL.

Sure but only if you are happy with mcu1 and it's limitations. Otherwise I figured if I'm going to spend the 2500 might as well get my money's worth and enjoy the differences. Mcu3 will be coming eventually and I'm not sure Tesla will do MCU2 upgrades in a year much less a month from now. Tesla is so disorganized and they've discontinued, without notice, programs like v3 battery for Roadster and P90DL to P100DL.

and

There is no guarantee that they will still offer the upgrade in 4-5 years. (Highly likely that they still will, but you never know.)

Very helpful. I didn't even consider that they may discontinue it. I am not always happy with MCU1.

Reactions: captjoemcd