Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
any estimate on how much Tesla would charge to upgrade the repeaters?

Its unlikely that Tesla will agree to take on the work for pay to install newer repeaters. They generally don't want to be a party to change the car's factory configuration. That's what they told me when I asked them to activate the FM radio that I installed myself after MCU2 upgrade. They don't want to deal with changed cars in the fleet (so they told me).

That does not mean you can't change them yourself. They are not restricted parts. And you can find on Youtube how to do it. Its recommended that you do not swap them until you have a OTA update pending install. There's a deployment process that occurs with OTA updates, and it can/will assist your car with recognizing the new parts.

And I agree with @watt, pillar cameras won't make a Sentry/Teslacam difference. A couple of people have already swapped those.

Its unlikely that Tesla will agree to take on the work for pay to install newer repeaters. They generally don't want to be a party to change the car's factory configuration. That's what they told me when I asked them to activate the FM radio that I installed myself after MCU2 upgrade. They don't want to deal with changed cars in the fleet (so they told me).

That does not mean you can't change them yourself. They are not restricted parts. And you can find on Youtube how to do it. Its recommended that you do not swap them until you have a OTA update pending install. There's a deployment process that occurs with OTA updates, and it can/will assist your car with recognizing the new parts.

And I agree with @watt, pillar cameras won't make a Sentry/Teslacam difference. A couple of people have already swapped those.
The old side repeaters don't look that bad. Probably not worth messing with.

If you go through this thread, you can find numerous quotes showing how people have only paid $2500 for the upgrade. We paid $2500 plus tax and that included the new MCU, a new instrument cluster and a new touchscreen.

Tesla might say there has been a price increase so you might want to only use recent invoices. If those newer invoices show people paying more than $2500 then you're probably out of luck.

BTW, when we were first quoted for our repair, the first quote included a labor charge. We pointed out that the website says labor is included. They sent a new quote which subtracted off labor but then itemized everything and it was close to $4000. They then added adjustments which subtracted out the price of the instrument cluster, etc.

Thank you. I just checked my invoice and they did deduct $250 for no new screen, but in their original text to me they said that a new screen would be an additional $750 over the original $2500. I would appreciate to hear from anyone who recently obtained this upgrade and received a new screen with the $2500 price.

The old side repeaters don't look that bad. Probably not worth messing with.
Thats what I concluded as well. With MCU2 (and HW3) I now have Sentry, and L/R side camera views in the reverse screen. Its very nice and one of my favorite features with MCU2.

Sure the "color" is kind of funky (quite red) but its perfectly adequate to show (and record) the surroundings on both sides, rear and front.

any estimate on how much Tesla would charge to upgrade the repeaters?

I had the right side done on my early 2017 Model S by Tesla Mobile and they charged $130 for the LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA (RH)(1125107-00-E) and $17.50 for a mobile tech to come to my house and install it last month. I purchased the left online and did it myself. Even after watching the YouTube install videos mine was very hard to remove. The tech said he had never had one that was so hard to replace on the right side so I didn't feel as bad. I did not have to upgrade the software. There is a 'Camera Recalibration ' option now. He was unaware of the 'Camera Recalibration' option under 'Service' on the MCU 2 touchscreen. He said that saved him a lot of time. I told him it came out with one of the recent software updates (end of Sept). There is another thread that talks about the repeaters here:

Upgrading AP cameras

Akikiki has videos of the old and new cameras in post 23.

Are you saying that user installation of the digital tuner will now be provisioned and made available by an OTA update?

Thank you. I just checked my invoice and they did deduct $250 for no new screen, but in their original text to me they said that a new screen would be an additional $750 over the original $2500. I would appreciate to hear from anyone who recently obtained this upgrade and received a new screen with the $2500 price.

I have found evidence as recent as Oct 2020 that people received a new touchscreen with their $2500 upgrade. My SC is not responding to my inquiry. Is there an alternate way to communicate or ask about this ? I have struggled with communications with Tesla for things like questions. I know how to make service appts but not how to ask a question.

I had the right side done on my early 2017 Model S by Tesla Mobile and they charged $130 for the LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA (RH)(1125107-00-E) and $17.50 for a mobile tech to come to my house and install it last month. I purchased the left online and did it myself. Even after watching the YouTube install videos mine was very hard to remove. The tech said he had never had one that was so hard to replace on the right side so I didn't feel as bad. I did not have to upgrade the software. There is a 'Camera Recalibration ' option now. He was unaware of the 'Camera Recalibration' option under 'Service' on the MCU 2 touchscreen. He said that saved him a lot of time. I told him it came out with one of the recent software updates (end of Sept). There is another thread that talks about the repeaters here:

Upgrading AP cameras

Akikiki has videos of the old and new cameras in post 23.

Yep, doesn't really matter, but those videos are mine. I took the using my car and the road near my home.

I have found evidence as recent as Oct 2020 that people received a new touchscreen with their $2500 upgrade. My SC is not responding to my inquiry. Is there an alternate way to communicate or ask about this ? I have struggled with communications with Tesla for things like questions. I know how to make service appts but not how to ask a question.

The easiest way I have found to talk to my service center by phone is call their direct number and press the phone option that states something like 'check status of your car currently in service'. That usually gets me to a person at my local SC. It appears you are in Colorado. You could also try calling the other service center in Colorado.

Tesla Service Center
Littleton, CO
(303) 632-4200

Tesla Service Center
Superior, CO
(720) 302-9952

My Infotainment Upgrade was back on July 3, 2020 and my line item stated with Replacement Touchscreen for $2500. This was the approximate timeframe when they started running out of the touchscreens and started offering the $250 savings if you kept your existing screen. During my installation, the service center called me and stated 'if they would have known my screen had the yellow border that they would have treated it with the UV light ahead of time'. I told them I had requested the new touchscreen and my quote was for $2500 that stated with the Replacement Touchscreen. They informed me even though they ordered the part # that had the new touchscreen, they were sent by Tesla the part # without a touchscreen. I was pissed and told them I needed to talk to the manger. The service writer told me she would check on something and would get back to me within the hour. She called back and stated they had a new touchscreen in stock and would install that one. I wanted the new touchscreen as mine had the yellow border and hoped the new one would not do that. Time will tell. Below is my invoice line item that states 'with replacement touchscreen' for $2500. There is no sales tax in Delaware.

Capture.PNG

Mine was replaced on Tuesday of this week (2 days ago) and I paid $2500 for the new touchscreen and $500 for the radio upgrade.
How is the radio Rob? You see it on the media toolbar as FM or XM separate? Can you tell if its better than radio was with MCU1?

I've searched epc for a S/X FM or FM/XM radio reinstall kit. Nada. Was also looking for a Tesla digital cable like Teslatap was making. No hint for it either.

How is the radio Rob? You see it on the media toolbar as FM or XM separate? Can you tell if its better than radio was with MCU1?

I've searched epc for a S/X FM or FM/XM radio reinstall kit. Nada. Was also looking for a Tesla digital cable like Teslatap was making. No hint for it either.
Ill snap a couple pics. Works instantly and just like a new Tesla. Super impressed with this upgrade from Tesla

Reactions: Country Roads
I'm upgrading to AP3 on Monday, but sticking with MCU1 for a while.

Please reconsider carefully, I currently have this very same setup (MCU1 + AP3) and I'm experiencing quite some problems with my MCU1 ever since the upgrade AP2.5 -> AP3. For instance: screen freezes and forced reboots. Especially annoying when you want to start your car but the screen freezes and thus unable to enter the PIN. You should await this reboot first, which takes a LOOOONG time, especially when you are waiting for it.

Prior to this AP3 upgrade I didn't experience these kind of problems with the MCU1. And unfortunately, there are more people out here that experience the very same thing.

On top of that: all Tesla owners that I've spoken with in NL with the same setup as me, are currently still on software version 36.11. This can't be a coincidence and presumably our configuration has been put on a separate branch due to the "exotic" config.

Mostly because of this, I can't wait to upgrade my MCU1 to MCU2! If everything goes according to plan, I will drive with MCU2 as of December, 2nd :D

I have now had MCU2 for two days. I must say I'm very satisfied. My car is pre-AP so I didn't get any of the autopilot benefits, but still it feels like a new car now. :)

On a quick look the interface looks the same as MCU1, but when you use it you instantly feel how much faster it is.

Our family are huge Singstar / Guitar Hero fans.. The Caraoke is fantastic. Never had so much "family time" on a car trip, usually everyone would just stare at their phone screen.. :)

Radio with MCU2 is instant. before it would take a second or two for the sound to be generated. MCU2 with FM is amazing how fast it is
IMG_7676.jpeg