Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's funny that even pre-AP cars get HW3 upgrade with MCU2.

Do they? How is that possible in terms of wiring harnesses/location behind glovebox etc?

At least that's what it says on the invoice:

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE- TegraPreAP- EU-AP (9874565-03-A)

Is it possible that MCU2+HW3 combo is actually now integrated into the same unit, perhaps the same circuit board even? That would cut the costs down, even though it would mean many get HW3 even if they don't need it.

At least that's what it says on the invoice:

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE- TegraPreAP- EU-AP (9874565-03-A)

Is it possible that MCU2+HW3 combo is actually now integrated into the same unit, perhaps the same circuit board even? That would cut the costs down, even though it would mean many get HW3 even if they don't need it.

I don't think so because they put in 2 separate parts order (saw them on emails), and they are different line items on the final invoice. The HW3 upgrade is $0 and the MCU upgrade w/ screen is $2500.

Tesla must hate me or something.

I’ve had the upgrade requested and waiting on parts since June when the initial appointment was canceled. Still getting parts update emails twice a week.
That’s weird. That’s exactly what I did and the emails stopped 6 weeks ago. I put in another appointment and it immediately was confirmed for mobile and was done in two hours in my driveway a few weeks ago. Are you sure they are really still waiting for your parts? You might try scheduling another appt and see what happens.

That’s weird. That’s exactly what I did and the emails stopped 6 weeks ago. I put in another appointment and it immediately was confirmed for mobile and was done in two hours in my driveway a few weeks ago. Are you sure they are really still waiting for your parts? You might try scheduling another appt and see what happens.

Also check the phone's SMS and phone's app service section. Sometime they schedule a service for you without sending out an email, just a SMS or just appear on the app.

@boaterva I’ll have to give it another shot sometime this week. Still getting the emails, and also tried to request the upgrade via app two months ago with the 30-60 day wait.

I’ve seen some people discuss the manual trunk being an issue with getting upgraded, but haven’t been told anything like that directly. Really appreciate the responses!

Hoping that this works out soon.

Reactions: boaterva
Tesla just emailed me this:

1156d219-dcd3-42b8-8c08-269c2c83e84c.png

Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S/X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.

Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no-cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Center for 8 years/100k miles from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.

If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.

To learn more about the program and its terms and conditions, please click the link below.

Thank you for being a Tesla customer and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Tesla | All Rights Reserved | 3500 Deer Creek Rd. Palo Alto CA 94304

LEARN MORE

Warranty Adjustment Program
open

Last edited:
Tesla just emailed me this:

1156d219-dcd3-42b8-8c08-269c2c83e84c.png

Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S/X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.

Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no-cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Center for 8 years/100k miles from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.

If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.

To learn more about the program and its terms and conditions, please click the link below.
Thank you for being a Tesla customer and we apologize for any inconvenience.
Tesla | All Rights Reserved | 3500 Deer Creek Rd. Palo Alto CA 94304

LEARN MORE

Warranty Adjustment Program

open

From the Tesla Q&A... Warranty Adjustment Program

I received a notice that my vehicle is subject to this program. What do I do next?
If you are the registered owner, there is no immediate action you need to take at this time, and you may continue to drive your vehicle. For the best experience, we recommend running the most current software available for your vehicle. Please refer to “Software Updates” in your Owner’s Manual.

I paid to repair or replace my MCU due to the condition described in the program. Can I be reimbursed?
If you previously paid for a repair for the specific part and condition covered by the program and the paid repair was within the Warranty Adjustment Program period, you may be eligible for a refund subject to certain terms and conditions. We will contact owners of affected vehicles with more information on reimbursement eligibility, terms and conditions, and how to request reimbursements by or before February 2021.

My vehicle is covered, but my center touchscreen works at this time. Can I get a repair done proactively before it fails?
No. Only vehicles that experience malfunctions of the eMMC due to accumulated wear during the Warranty Adjustment Program period are covered under this program.

Yes, I got the same email. The thing is, I've taken it in twice now, 1st time they did a factory reset, 2nd time they cleared the home drive, but problem is still persisting. I assume they would refund me those repairs?

READ the link at the bottom of my post above.

The link from Tesla includes:

If you previously paid for any repairs for the specific part and condition described in this notice, you may be eligible for reimbursement subject to certain terms and conditions. Within 90 days, Tesla will send you an additional notice that details reimbursement eligibility, terms and conditions, and how to request reimbursement. Please be aware that any repair conducted for the part and condition described above at a non-Tesla service provider more than 10 calendar days after the date of this notice is not eligible for reimbursement.​

READ the link at the bottom of my post above.

The link from Tesla includes:

If you previously paid for any repairs for the specific part and condition described in this notice, you may be eligible for reimbursement subject to certain terms and conditions. Within 90 days, Tesla will send you an additional notice that details reimbursement eligibility, terms and conditions, and how to request reimbursement. Please be aware that any repair conducted for the part and condition described above at a non-Tesla service provider more than 10 calendar days after the date of this notice is not eligible for reimbursement.​

Ah ok, yes, after I read it again, I realized I wont be reimbursed since they didnt replace the eMMC. Thats fine, as long as they pay for the eMMC upgrade, I'm good with that. Since the last repair I'm still having issues. Will schedule an appointment and see what happens.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Yes, I got the same email. The thing is, I've taken it in twice now, 1st time they did a factory reset, 2nd time they cleared the home drive, but problem is still persisting. I assume they would refund me those repairs?
They reinstalled the firmware on mine the first time and within a month it was dead without them even looking at it and said I needed a new MCU. They didn't charge me the first time but got reamed when I got replacement. Good to know that I should get a refund though.