Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scheduled an appointment and they replied back wanting to know exactly when the occurrences happened and what exactly happened with my mcu1. I had already stated what was happening. A bit frustrating that they require all this and then it takes them forever to reply. They still haven't replied and its been a whole day. Luckily I took a video this morning of my MCU being frozen.

Wow, go a few weeks without reading and get so far behind! I requested and MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade several times from Mar-Jun and was told not available. Finally in June was able to schedule for a MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade at the new Peabody, MA SC. I was contacted and told that I could save $250 by getting the upgrade without the screen and that they would be more likely available than the ones with the screen. I had no issues at the time, including the yellowing, so went with it. The appointment was pushed out 2 weeks at a time with no parts available. I finally called Tesla in mid October who reached out to the service center. By now I was experiencing the yellow border around the screen and mentioned that. They were able to source the part with the new screen ($2500) and was able to schedule this for upgrade on November 4. Total time was about 4-5 hours and all went well. Excellent service center and closer than the other choices. No one at any time mentioned the FM/Sirius radio upgrade. Since I listen to both, I would have opted for this as well. That's how far behind I was. While reading through these posts I went ahead and scheduled the radio upgrade and it is scheduled for next week at the same SC. I haven't travelled as much during this pandemic, but will be starting in 2 weeks doing 1400 miles over 50 days (stopping for birth of 3rd grandchild) so will definitely make use of this. I listen to streaming on the road, but the radio stations I listen to at my destinations are not available on streaming.

Unfortunately as for the MCU2/AP3 upgrade I haven't been able to give it a good test yet. We will when we leave for VA in a couple weeks. I did notice the new display of traffic lights and other representations, and the navigation is much snappier, nice to have camera playback on screen, and web browser (abetterrouteplanner) finally works. Almost like a new car and cheaper than one. Wish my SuC wasn't limited but so far it hasn't been that noticeable but we'll see on our next cross-country trip next year.

Just got my car back from MCU2 installation. :)

Everything seems great so far. However I noticed that the front park sensors only work while in reverse! With MCU1 they did work when driving forwards.

Anyone else have front sensors, do they work normally? It's a bit difficult to use this way. Drive a bit forwards, then switch to reverse to see how close you are, then drive a bit forwards again.. :)

Just got my car back from MCU2 installation. :)

Everything seems great so far. However I noticed that the front park sensors only work while in reverse! With MCU1 they did work when driving forwards.

Anyone else have front sensors, do they work normally? It's a bit difficult to use this way. Drive a bit forwards, then switch to reverse to see how close you are, then drive a bit forwards again.. :)

That’s weird. My front sensors work while in drive and in reverse.

I'm getting the FSD computer installed on Monday. What happens if they don't upgrade the cameras?

Its like you are happy with your Leaf if you don't know a Tesla exists. You don't know what the camera color looks like now, so it will suit you fine. Just do yourself a favor and don't look at the color quality of a new Tesla. Stay away - stay away.
Before:
(Or you could do what some of us have already done - swap out the repeaters).
After:

Last edited:
Its like you are happy with your Leaf if you don't know a Tesla exists. You don't know what the camera color looks like now, so it will suit you fine. Just do yourself a favor and don't look at the color quality of a new Tesla. Stay away - stay away.
Before:
(Or you could do what some of us have already done - swap out the repeaters).
After:
I do like the Leaf, but it's no Tesla. Maybe I'll get the repeaters replaced when I upgrade to MCU2. Are the pillar cameras messed up too? Are they used for sentry mode? With MCU1 will I even get sentry mode view of the cameras?

I do like the Leaf, but it's no Tesla. Maybe I'll get the repeaters replaced when I upgrade to MCU2. Are the pillar cameras messed up too? Are they used for sentry mode? With MCU1 will I even get sentry mode view of the cameras?

No, unless you're going to update the AP to >= 2.5 as well. At this moment only the side repeaters cameras, front facing camera and with MCU2 the rear facing camera will be used for Sentry footage.

Reactions: Akikiki
Thanks, is there anything official that I can reference regarding this. They definitely told me a new screen would be an additional $700
If you go through this thread, you can find numerous quotes showing how people have only paid $2500 for the upgrade. We paid $2500 plus tax and that included the new MCU, a new instrument cluster and a new touchscreen.

Tesla might say there has been a price increase so you might want to only use recent invoices. If those newer invoices show people paying more than $2500 then you're probably out of luck.

BTW, when we were first quoted for our repair, the first quote included a labor charge. We pointed out that the website says labor is included. They sent a new quote which subtracted off labor but then itemized everything and it was close to $4000. They then added adjustments which subtracted out the price of the instrument cluster, etc.