Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't know what the camera color looks like now, so it will suit you fine. Just do yourself a favor and don't look at the color quality of a new Tesla.
Well, I see the difference every time I drove my wife's X. To me, it's not a big enough difference that I'll do something about it.

In fact, I'm glad Tesla came out with the FM radio upgrade after I had my MCU2 upgrade done, as it saved me $500!

Was also looking for a Tesla digital cable like Teslatap was making. No hint for it either.
I ended up buying a harness from a totaled MCU2 model S and grabbed the cable from that. You'll have to look around since I couldn't find anyone selling the connector to the tuner itself ANYWHERE. tried contacting the manufacturer, and they said "Why do you want this plug?" lol.

Nope, same as MCU1

Are you certain of that? Because last week I've upgraded the MCU and tuner all together, but I can clearly observe a difference between the radio interface on the old MCU1 and the new MCU2.

In Europe we have DAB+, which basically supersedes FM, but still are being broadcasted together to have the best reception possible, due to the fact that FM reaches further (and/or coverage is still better).
Previously in the MCU1, I was able to select either FM signals or DAB+ signals separately, whereas currently with the MCU2 I only have the "Stations" as option which includes both DAB+ as FM in one single list, and if both exists, the priority will be given to DAB+. It will automatically fallback to FM whenever DAB+ coverage lacks (this was also the case on the MCU1 though)

• Informative
Reactions: f205v and Akikiki
You might not be so happy when backing up at night. Or with your radio performance.
I don't need FM, and my backup camera is fine:
IMG_7476.jpg

There is a thread about weaker sound output for UHFS-equipped cars after upgrading, not just loss of FM and satellite radio.
Are you on 2020.48.5?
I had read about some sound quality troubles, but honestly forgot about it as an issue. My wife and I took the car on a 6 hour road trip over the weekend and streamed music the whole time and it was good. No issues for us, but we're normal and not crazy audiophiles. Or maybe the sound system just comes pre-tuned to REM and Talking Heads. :)
Regarding firmware: 2020.44.25