Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Insurance Claim Check Bounced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. I'm just posting in this thread to track it. I have Tesla insurance and now I'm worried.

If you want to follow thread but don’t want to add anything to it, you can also click “Watch Thread” at top of page above posts. You’ll be prompted with an option to get emails when additions are posted. You can Watch threads or forums. To view your list of Watched items, open the ladder at the uppermost left corner of the site to get this menu:
AC970B5A-09F5-4A4A-8C63-278CFB697657.jpeg

Last edited:
I will state again: what Tesla did was illegal. Not reporting it is like watching Kitty get stabbed and scream and continuing to do the dishes.

Something is very broken for this to happen. It is illegal, so legit companies have more than one process in place to ensure they don't break the law.
Not sure a lot of people will get the Kitty Genovese reference these days, at least outside of NYC?

I’m sorry, but just have to Ask: are you really still using checks actively? It’s been completely removed from society since over a decade or two here (bank transfers / card payments have completely replaced it). Just seems really weird using paper slips in the land of Silicon Valley.

Yes, checks are still commonly used in the US. (For example, I'm involved in producing hundreds of refund checks per week for people that have over-paid their accounts.)

I’m sorry, but just have to Ask: are you really still using checks actively? It’s been completely removed from society since over a decade or two here (bank transfers / card payments have completely replaced it). Just seems really weird using paper slips in the land of Silicon Valley.
No one in the USA has ever managed to make a good Swedish pancake. So forgive us for still using paper checks on occasion.

Last edited:
Checks are actually a very convenient way of making it look like you’re paying someone when you don’t intend to. So that’s useful

Here's an update just on the Bounced Check saga.

After reporting the bounced check on Wednesday of last week, I received a phone call from Mark (from an Atlanta area code). Mark told me he is with Crawford and responsible for all the claims adjusters that work on behalf of Tesla Insurance.

Mark was polite. He apologized for the error. He said Crawford isn't responsible for the Tesla Insurance bank account and that Tesla had made a "cash flow" error. He said that a check would be cut for me immediately and that I would hear from my original adjuster the next day and would also get a confirmation email. I explained that it took over two weeks to get the original check (from the date that was on the check to the time it arrived in my mailbox). Mark said that Tesla should be using bank transfers and paper checks are an slower way of doing things, but I would be getting a paper check. That didn't make me feel any better.

The next day I heard from my subrogation adjuster, not the original adjuster, who said that he was told to follow up with me. I explained the whole bounced check situation again, and he said my original adjuster would get with me to give me an update.

Finally today, I heard from my original adjuster who said that Tesla made a mistake and that they were going to be cutting checks for everyone impacted (apparently I'm not the only one), and that they should be sent out overnight express mail. I asked if it would include the NSF fee I had been charged. She said that was a good question and please send her an email so she could forward my email to someone that might know the answer.

I'm feeling very abused by this whole situation. So I've taken the advice of ComanchePilot, croman, and bvontress and I filled a California Insurance Commission complaint. I can't believe how poorly Tesla Insurance is run.

Wow this is insane.

About a year ago I totaled my motorcycle, and Geico let me drive over to their office to pick up a check in my name the day after the shop did their inspection. The process was so incredibly painless and easy.

Tesla has a bunch of physical locations where they can do something similar but I'm sure they won't because it's in the best interest of the customer.

Reactions: croman