Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Insurance coming to UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. Can’t be any worse than Direct Line, teslas recommended insurer through whom you couldn’t insure the MY RWD.

most of that article, annoyingly, is about the US rollout which makes me think the 2-3 sentences at the bottom on UK are speculation.

Reactions: Durzel and boombap
post here since i dint find a relevant thread.

I'm waiting to take delivery of my tesla model 3 on 16-Mar in The Netherlands. Tesla asked me to come with insurance, however i'm unable buy without license plate from independor.nl.

Any suggestion on how proceed now?

Interesting. Can’t be any worse than Direct Line, teslas recommended insurer through whom you couldn’t insure the MY RWD.

most of that article, annoyingly, is about the US rollout which makes me think the 2-3 sentences at the bottom on UK are speculation.
I tried to get a quote just prior to getting my model Y from Direct Line. Tried several times and each time was told they couldn't insure me. But when I got the info through prior to collection from Tesla there was a link to get an insurance quote which took to DL website and it quoted me no problem. Price was ok and I only stayed with current insurer as they were very very slightly cheaper and it just seemed easier to update existing policy with the new car. (mind you. They b*llsed it up and we only noticed after 2 weeks that the reg was wrong on our certificate!!!)

post here since i dint find a relevant thread.

I'm waiting to take delivery of my tesla model 3 on 16-Mar in The Netherlands. Tesla asked me to come with insurance, however i'm unable buy without license plate from independor.nl.

Any suggestion on how proceed now?
Not sure about the Netherlands, but when I bought my Tesla in the UK it was possible to quote the VIN number to secure insurance before I got my licence plate number.

Or get a generic quote at an estimated date of delivery, then when full details are known, ie reg, dates etc, convert the quote into a policy. This may change price slightly if original estimates dates do not match real dates, but pro rata, its normally only a couple of £. Quotes normally last around 30 days and best pricing is often 20 or so days from point of inception. This allows best pricing to be achieved without knowing full details. You can usually run multiple quotes from same provider, and quotes from multiple providers in parallel which will also allow a quote period of > 30 days and not committing until absolutely necessary. Its often best to actually call an insurance company when converting quote to policy - with some it seems like this may be the only way. Normally its just a 5 - 10 minute call to confirm any differences from the original quote, such as providing them with a confirmed registration number, collection date and possibly invoice price should you have been asked for a purchase price.