Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is dumping Mobileye???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There won't be any new AP hardware till at least the release of the 3, and that doesn't even mean it will be activated. There is a chance that the model 3 will be released with the current hardware and they will try to push it to the limits.
That could be. That's why I said late next year. I could see Elon pushing this with AP 2.0 to be concurrent with M3 release.

I just watched an interview with George that covered a number of topics, but one interesting tidbit was that he said the MobileEye camera (that's in Tesla vehicles) is a RCC (Red-Clear-Clear), which sheds more light on why it wasn't able to discern a white truck against a bright (possibly blue) sky. Since the camera is monochrome it sees shading and contrast as opposed to color.

There's just no way Tesla can be reliant on a single, 3rd party vendor for such a critical component like it's autopilot hardware suite and processors. No question in my mind it was Tesla who walked away.

Suppliers don't "walk away" unless the customer sets their expectations so that the supplier can't comply and remain profitable. Tesla certainly does do that; they're quite ruthless.

It should be very interesting. Tesla, up to a very short time ago, clearly intended to keep working with Mobileye. That implies that they may be scrambling internally around how to continue development without taking steps back. I would argue that autonomy is not really central to what Tesla is. Yes it's great for them to be technologically ahead of the curve. But they are an electric car / eco-energy company - not an autonomous car company. There's a strong argument that vehicle autonomy systems is a separate business in itself You can't do everything; be careful about losing your focus.

I would argue that autonomy is not really central to what Tesla is. Yes it's great for them to be technologically ahead of the curve. But they are an electric car / eco-energy company - not an autonomous car company. There's a strong argument that vehicle autonomy systems is a separate business in itself You can't do everything; be careful about losing your focus.

You mean besides that fact that in the SMP2 Elon stated that the Model 3 will be fully autonomous?

That George hotz video in post 16 was very good. George used to strike me as an out of control arrogant dweeb, but maybe previous videos just caught him after he was up for 24 hours or something. In this one, he's well spoken, cogent, careful, skillfully avoids the traps set by the interviewer, etc. I'm impressed. I hope their company does well. Too bad their initial system will only be targeted at two car manufacturers.

Reactions: Vitold
Tesla Autopilot Program Director says need ‘tighter hardware/software integration’ to move ‘quickly’ in autonomous driving

"Tesla’s Autopilot Program Director, Sterling Anderson, is adding some color to the change of direction, saying that Tesla is looking to move quickly in autonomous driving and in order to do that, they need a “tight integration” of both hardware and software. Something they can do better if more of the program is developed in-house."

Mobileye speed is to have "Lateral Turn Across Path (LTAP) detection" by 2018 to enhance its current capability of Automatic Emergency Braking.

Elon Musk wants to have fully autonomous driving system (level 4) by the end of 2017.

The timeline for 2 companies are out of sync.

Now, you know why the divorce.

Not to say "I told you so", but this seems to tip the balance fairly strongly in the whole "should I get a Model S now or wait until the
``imminent'' AP 2.0 update?" debate. There's a bigger "lesson" here: the future is always more uncertain than you think, so if there's
something that will make you happy today don't put it off indefinitely in the hopes of something that will make you only marginally
happier coming along.

That George hotz video in post 16 was very good. George used to strike me as an out of control arrogant dweeb, but maybe previous videos just caught him after he was up for 24 hours or something. In this one, he's well spoken, cogent, careful, skillfully avoids the traps set by the interviewer, etc. I'm impressed. I hope their company does well. Too bad their initial system will only be targeted at two car manufacturers.

I was surprised too. The Ashlee Vance article from last year portrayed him as arrogant and antisocial. I haven't watched the whole video, but Mr. Hotz seems more insightful and thoughtful than crazy.

This forum has become incredibly pedantic in focusing on the cafeteria remark rather than the real meat of the article. :)

Well, to be perfectly honest, I thought that the cafeteria comment was a cheap jab at Tesla. A company like Apple or Google, which is well established and has piles of cash, can afford to have a fancy cafeteria with free food. Tesla is still comparatively early in its development. Is a top of the line cafeteria with free food really where the resources should go?

On the other hand, I do see the validity of the argument that good on-site food that can be acquired easily will make things better for engineers working 70+ hours/week. I just don't know. I've worked at many different places, some with good food, most with average food, and some places with no food on site at all. It did not make a whole lot of difference to me.

Disclaimer: I am a picky eater. My diet consists largely of plants, seeds, and fruit. I rarely ate what was offered on site.

Mobileye did say that Tesla would continue to get their EyeQ3 software improvements. Also, there are still algorithm improvements you can make on the legacy platform that can be transferred over to the new platform, so there will presumably still be AP improvement.

You're kidding, right? How could this possibly not delay AP 2.0, and significantly?

Hard to say. Mobileye EyeQ4 isn't expected in volume until 2018, 2 years from now. It is possible that Tesla could create a new AP platform even earlier than that. George Hotz's company says they're going to essentially replicate current Tesla AP functionality by the end of the year, that's about 1 year of development.

But these are very complicated systems, so who knows what difficulties lie ahead for all these efforts. All three systems (EyeQ4, Tesla AP 2.0, and George Hotz's Comma.ai) are still in development.

Mobileye couldn't deliver the next gen chip in time, so Tesla cut them out. It's that simple.
Of course, there's a huge (dare I say "yooge"?) assumption built into that that anyone, let alone Tesla, can actually do it faster. Just
because you don't like reality doesn't mean there's an alternative. Everyone's spinning this as MBLY "not being up to the task" but
isn't it just as likely that they told TSLA very clearly what the limitations of their technology were and TSLA built something out of it that
MBLY never would have endorsed (due to its overreach)?

Tesla Autopilot Program Director says need ‘tighter hardware/software integration’ to move ‘quickly’ in autonomous driving

"Tesla’s Autopilot Program Director, Sterling Anderson, is adding some color to the change of direction, saying that Tesla is looking to move quickly in autonomous driving and in order to do that, they need a “tight integration” of both hardware and software. Something they can do better if more of the program is developed in-house."

Mobileye speed is to have "Lateral Turn Across Path (LTAP) detection" by 2018 to enhance its current capability of Automatic Emergency Braking.

Elon Musk wants to have fully autonomous driving system (level 4) by the end of 2017.

The timeline for 2 companies are out of sync.

Now, you know why the divorce.

So essentially they want to ship Model 3 at least with hardware that will support full AP. Let's give them some slack on tidying up corner cases in software after they ship :)

You're kidding, right? How could this possibly not delay AP 2.0, and significantly?

Maybe AP 2.0 was never going to be a Mobile Eye based solution. EyeQ4 wasn't going to be ready in time, so Tesla went a different direction.

Elon has said that the Model 3 will be capable of full autonomy, i.e. AP 2.0, and that they will start making them in the Summer of 2017. That is when I expect that we will see AP 2.0. (Though maybe they will be able to put it in the S/X first, but I wouldn't bet on it.)

Reactions: Lex