Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is finally going to start charging for Mobile Internet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I said in the Model 3 version of this thread... I'm so disappointed in Tesla for this... They've cheapened the interiors and now charging for this??? You're essentially getting a Kia now from an interior standpoint, and that's actually an insult to the top of the line Kia interiors which are vastly superior than anything Tesla is doing and again, now this???

Tesla is making it harder and harder for me to want to get another Tesla when my Model S lease is up...

Jeff
All of Tesla's interiors are cheap. It's sort of a given when you're riding on a $15,000+ battery pack. What sucks is that a $35,000 Model 3 gets the same basic interior as a $75,000+ Model 3 Performance AWD. Extremely poor value, in my opinion.

The good news is, us current owners are all grandfathered in! I think this is very fair from Tesla and $100 a year is reasonable for Slacker streaming (as much as I am not a fan of slacker) and Live Traffic for Navigation. I would probably end up paying for it if I bought a new Tesla since Bluetooth streaming sometimes is an issue for me.

Tesla is introducing new paid ‘premium connectivity’ package to support in-car internet features of growing fleet
Sooo... Why are people posting as though you have to pay $100/year for nav to work when the article clearly states that nav will work fine without the premium subscription? According to the article, this is all you're getting for that $100/year:

- Music streaming
- Live traffic visualization (actual traffic still taken into account when using nav regardless of visualization)
- Satellite map visuals (standard map visuals still work)
- Software updates over LTE (updates over WiFi would still work, safety critical updates still pushed over LTE regardless)
- Web browser over LTE

The price, compared to other car manufacturers, is very reasonable but not paying for the package doesn't appear to meaningfully restrict overall functionality for those of us who don't use the music streaming particularly often.

I also haven’t used my USB stick for a few months, so it’s possible a recent update fixed these
Unfortunately not.
In practice, if I have LTE connectivity then I can tether off my iPhone.
I wish that were so, but around six months ago they started shutting off WiFi as soon as you take the car out of park. Speculated reason at the time was (IIRC) so that streaming wouldn't hiccup when you drove out of range. But it kills tethering. And yes, they should put it back the way it was, or introduce some other solution that doesn't block tethering.
Why would I want a wifi hotspot in my car when any modern cell phone can do it better and cheaper.
Better antennae in the car provide reception in sketchy locations? Car on a different network so if your phone's provider has a coverage hole, you can use the car's provider instead?

What sucks is that a $35,000 Model 3 gets the same basic interior as a $75,000+ Model 3 Performance AWD. Extremely poor value, in my opinion.
$40k, if you count PUP... but how is that any different from a $78k Model S 75D having essentially the same interior as a $155k loaded Model S P100D? Sure, you get ventilated seats now, but that's a fairly recent change.

Multiple threads on this site, if you do a little search. Basically, inconsistent performance. Random re-loads of USB drive contents; random “file not recognized”-type errors when playing; lack of shuffle mode that actually shuffles songs; sometimes meta-data is displayed (artist/album artwork) and sometimes not; that sort of thing. I have also had GPS issues where the car can’t figure out where it is sometimes, which throws off scheduled charging and Homelink functionality, and the phone support folks tend to blame whatever is plugged in to the USB ports when that happens. Eventually I stopped using my USB stick due to the GPS problems, which does seem to have helped, so now I just use the streaming audio in the car.

I haven’t heard much about USB functionality in the 3, so maybe they have these issues fixed and the fixes just haven’t worked back into older cars yet. I also haven’t used my USB stick for a few months, so it’s possible a recent update fixed these and other issues and I just don’t know about it although my assumption is that any fixes would soon be broadcast all over this site as it seems many people have the same issues.

About 3 revs ago, USB play become very usable with virtually no rescans (I have spent time to tag albums so 6k library works great. Last remaining issue is picking up where I last left it but then again it doesn’t take much to go back to that file.

What would be exciting for me (and I would pay a premium above $100 for it) would be the ability to have deezer or tidal as an app.

Last edited:
No, traffic aware routing is part of the standard internet package. Having the traffic show up on the map so you can see it is part of the premium package.
Thanks for the correction. Why did you also mark my post Disagree? I was incorrect and you had the correct information. Saying so seems like it does the job, whereas the rating seems uncivil.

Unfortunately not.

I wish that were so, but around six months ago they started shutting off WiFi as soon as you take the car out of park. Speculated reason at the time was (IIRC) so that streaming wouldn't hiccup when you drove out of range. But it kills tethering. And yes, they should put it back the way it was, or introduce some other solution that doesn't block tethering.
That happened way more than 6 months ago. They changed the default behavior for newly associated wifi connections to auto disconnect (if you had one already setup, it didn't disconnect - I had one, then deleted it and after re-association it started disconnecting, which is what I wanted). Some people have reported that if you associate wifi while in Drive, it won't disconnect while driving. I didn't try it because I don't need this feature, but it would make sense.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jgs and MP3Mike
All of Tesla's interiors are cheap. It's sort of a given when you're riding on a $15,000+ battery pack. What sucks is that a $35,000 Model 3 gets the same basic interior as a $75,000+ Model 3 Performance AWD. Extremely poor value, in my opinion.

What sucks is that a $69,500 Model S has the same basic interior as a $150,000 Performance Model S.

I find the complaining about the interior hilarious, seeing how no other car has a 17 inch touchscreen. Sure other "luxury" cars will have feature Tesla doesn't have, but Tesla has plenty of features other cars don't have, cough autopilot cough. I had a 370Z once which was upwards $50k+ and it didn't even have leather seats. Shame on Nissan! They'll go bankrupt!

I can understand talking about navigation in this thread, because the traffic aware feature is part of this internet package. But how is the interior related?

he's one of those people that hates Tesla.

Its hilarious people (or certain persons) are upset at Tesla for charging $100/year for live-traffic on google maps and slacker streaming radio and a web browser (that people rarely use). There are hundreds of thousands of teslas on the road, they were never going to be able to sustain free unlimited data for nearly half a million cars indefinitely. Complain about Tesla not making profit, but then complain when they take measures to cut costs. Can't have it both ways.

And we knew this was a long time coming, back in 2012/2013 they said unlimited data would only be good for 4 years, but apparently its good forever for us who bought before July 1.

Reactions: Canuck
Sooo... Why are people posting as though you have to pay $100/year for nav to work when the article clearly states that nav will work fine without the premium subscription? According to the article, this is all you're getting for that $100/year:

- Music streaming
- Live traffic visualization (actual traffic still taken into account when using nav regardless of visualization)
- Satellite map visuals (standard map visuals still work)
- Software updates over LTE (updates over WiFi would still work, safety critical updates still pushed over LTE regardless)
- Web browser over LTE

The price, compared to other car manufacturers, is very reasonable but not paying for the package doesn't appear to meaningfully restrict overall functionality for those of us who don't use the music streaming particularly often.

How does the mobile app factor? Is that part of the standard or the premium subscription?

@Petra - Isn't the "core usage" of mobile phone on TM3 (lock/unlock) over Bluetooth - no mobile data used?
As I recall, while the proximity key functionality is over BT, things like non-proximity locking, external frunk release, trunk release when on approach, etc. is still via network along with other app features. What I don't know is whether the BT key functionality works if the app can't connect to Tesla's authentication servers (e.g. session expired, no cell data, etc.).

It appears I am grandfathered, so I don't need to worry about the yearly fee, but I would have no problem paying $100 a year for Slacker. I have never heard of it before getting the Tesla, and I have read plenty of negative comments about it, but both my wife and I are pleasantly surprised by its appeal. We previously were paying $38 a month for Sirius in 2 different cars, and it sounded like *caca*. and it constantly cut out in the Infiniti while in mountainous areas. I was very happy to get rid of it. Slacker sounds so much better than Sirius, (128 kb vs 64 kb?) and I love the customizable radio stations and song skipping ability. At $8 a month it would be a bargain.

Tidal would be better, I have a family premium CD quality (1024 kb/s) account I pay $30 a month for through Roon for my home 2 channel system, but I don't think that bit rate could down load properly while streaming through Tesla's slow MCU.

Has anybody successfully used the browser with Tidal? Can it be done?

Why would I want a wifi hotspot in my car when any modern cell phone can do it better and cheaper.

I agree -- In-car hotspot is not important, it's a perception thing: this is supposed to be one of the most advanced cars in the world, yet one if its key-differentiators is that it cannot offer something consistently offered by competitors (wifi).

I personally would never need/use it, unlimited plans make more sense -- and there are probably few Tesla drivers who have poor Data Plans where they would need to connect to Wifi all the time. Also speed probably won't be much better than LTE (what with the car's VPN pathing back to a central CDN, don't know if can be - but I'd rather they offer it than not. It's not about needing it, it's about needing to not be the only one who doesn't offer it.

It should still be offered in order to keep the Halo status of this car's technology, which truly is more advanced than many others. It's beyond obvious to do it. Tesla and owners can state all the reasons in the world why it's a dumb feature, but it just ends up being one more thing traditional/old car makers can talk about Tesla not having.

Also speed probably won't be much better than LTE (what with the car's VPN pathing back to a central CDN, don't know if can be
If they were going to offer a hotspot they could and likely would do split-tunneling so the hotspot traffic wouldn't go back to the mothership. You wouldn't want to expose resources inside the VPN to the stuff connected to the hotspot anyway, so you have to provide differential treatment, and once you're doing that, why VPN the traffic at all? Just dump it out to the Internet.

Actually, this illustrates why prioritizing Wi-Fi hotspot is probably not a good use of their development time. It's hardly rocket science, but it's not completely trivial. For my part, I'd rather they spend the dev cycles on finally making the media player not suck, or on doing CarPlay. Both of those are more than just me-too check off items.

(N.b. the speed will of course never be better than LTE anyway since that all the car has. Except for older cars that only have 3G.)