Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is "no apple of the car industry"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dutchie

Jun 9, 2013
Canada
Good luck to them. 'Unveil' means show off prototype most likely. Who knows when production would follow.

Hadn't heard of Atieva battery company started by a former Tesla VP before. Wonder which VP.

I hope he is right, I always like seeing companies competing.
However, I had a chance to test drive a BYD electric vehicle last week. It is the only electric vehicle that made me wish I was driving an ICE:eek:
The next Chinese made EV has a long way to go.

Yeah, it's so simple and easy, and hardly costs anything, that's why there's so much competition. Oh wait, there is NO competition, and I wouldn't expect anything remotely competitive out of China... Teslas's battery pack technology was chosen for low cost, which still hasn't been beaten.. large format batteries have lots of other issues, and are not low enough in cost. I say "STFU" and show us what you've got :) talk is cheap, actions are what count.

Or "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they try and copy you, then you win" :)

They would have to be testing the car already if a late 2015 launch was going to be met. If it launches in 2016-2017 then Tesla will be close to Gen III and Model S should be much more refined and may even have a bigger battery pack.

OK
We will see
Time will tell
In the meantime
No shortage of customers for Tesla, model S, and model X
And Leaf sales continue to break records
Not seeing too many other 100% electric cars on the road
Saw a honda fit with a driver cursing it's slow charge up rate, other than that, he LOVED it, lease and all
Sounds like, "catch me if you can"
Meanwhile, spaceX delivers to the ISS...
:)

- - - Updated - - -

110 kW due soon

I sense a bit of disregard for "anything made in China" in this thread. I think a bit of wider perspective is required.

Chinese built EVs for the domestic market don't need to compete with a Model S. They don't need to appeal to Californian premium vehicle buyers. All they need is provide viable transportation for China's rapidly expanding middle class. So there's no point in comparing a BYD to a Model S.

Tesla's warm reception in China was netted to the fact that Tesla honored Chinese mentality by acknowledging them as partners at eye level.

I expect the first real competition for Tesla to come from Asia. There is a huge market where new entrants can learn to make cars, scale up production, refine the technology, and then deliver top notch cars to the global market.

IOW: When Elon Musk states Model S as best car of the world, cheerio. When BAIC aims for a car with decent specs, it's defamed as hubris. We should do better than that or face the "fanboy" label.

IOW: When Elon Musk states Model S as best car of the world, cheerio. When BAIC aims for a car with decent specs, it's defamed as hubris. We should do better than that or face the "fanboy" label.

"unveil a new electric car whose performance will transcend that of Model S by the end of 2015" is not "aiming for decent specs". The Model S exists, the BAIC is just boisterous talk at this point of "unveiling" a car in the future. Some amount of skeptisim is in order regardless of fanboy label.

I expect China will produce some good EVs at some point, but by hyping it this way, they loose some credibility.

I guess that also depends on their exact definition of "performance".

I also think that it is understandable that they want to have their future car be better than a current existing car of a competitor. It would be a bit silly for them to announce "Our best future car will be worse than the currently available car of our competitor". :)

"unveil a new electric car whose performance will transcend that of Model S by the end of 2015" is not "aiming for decent specs". The Model S exists, the BAIC is just boisterous talk at this point of "unveiling" a car in the future. Some amount of skeptisim is in order regardless of fanboy label.

I expect China will produce some good EVs at some point, but by hyping it this way, they loose some credibility.

Well said.

VolkerP's point is taken though. Auto makers in China and even India are the most likely to want to get off gas.

We are in a period of rapid improvement in battery technology.
After 6 years ( the Model S was "unveiled" in 2009 ) the battery choices available will have vastly superior energy density and cost characteristics.
If your newly unveiled car doesn't transcend the old ones in some way, you have failed.

I agree with VolkerP, look at what happened with Japanese products in the US. They started out producing cheap, shoddy products but in the end Japan earned a reputation for top quality. I expect Chinese manufacturers will follow a similar path. By then the cheap labor will be in India or someplace else.