Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla launches Model 3 Highland refresh in North America - No Performance model listed as of 01.10.2024

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it? Have any data to back that up?

I mean it’s brand new, that will get some pent up demand but doubt it’ll last.
Agreed. Haven’t really seen many highland owners on these parts, and even with the US announcement, the response seems more subdued than I expected. I just don’t get the sense that people are particularly excited about this thing.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
On paper it seems to be a better car, especially regarding ride quality with a better suspension and quieter cabin. But I think the refreshed front end looks like many newer cars today, while the ’23 and older have a more Porsche look. That being said it looks great and I think it is a great value for such a fun car.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Vehicles assembled in China are subject to a 25% import tariff, so I'd say the chance is essentially zero.
Is that a blanket tarrif? The Buick Envision is built in China and sold here. I seriously doubt that GM would eat a 25% tarrif.

2021-Buick-Envision-Exterior-001-front-three-quarters-720x340.jpg

Reactions: zoomer0056
used model 3 prices have gone down quite a bit, I thought it was that it was due to timing (Dec-Feb has always seems a low / lull in used car sales). seems that the coming months might be a great time to get a used Model 3! (and/or for current owners to exit?)

Is that a blanket tarrif? The Buick Envision is built in China and sold here. I seriously doubt that GM would eat a 25% tarrif.

View attachment 1007801
There are apparently some SUV and premium luxury exclusions to the direct China to USA import duties and tariffs… OR it could be that a USA OEM has some additional latitude by volume at least to be able to import. Also, SOME of these cars travel from Chiner to MEXICO first, have some final assembly done there, and then come over the border with NAFTA (USMCA) type of direct no tariff access.

Matter of time before Highland starts using 4680 cells that qualify for the full $7.5k fed credit. Definitely before year end. Thank you Cybertruck for turning into a massive dumpster fire.
I think it’s a matter of quite a bit MORE time than that.. sadly. CT will suck up all the current additional supply, beyond MY, for I think at least all of 2024 and into 2025. I don‘t think this was the plan by Tesla, but they can’t really switch away for CT, to make 4680 supply for the new M3.

At this point, i would put my money on a congressional exception for say 2024 only, before an OEM could make such an operational change.

yowza that is CHEEEEP holy moly. I might actually get a used 3 instead of a used S w/ FUSC. my cheap radar is getting pretty activated and yeah. add the used EV rebate, and the cheap get cheaper!

Last edited:
Hey folks, how can I tell if Homelink is included in N.A. long range car? My 2018 came standard with it, but then it got dropped I recall hearing. I see it's mentioned in the owners manual still, but doesn't say if included in car.
You can enable homelink by going into service mode…
But it’s not intended to be activated until you pay for it. The car has the hardware already it just needs to be activated.

Last edited:
Have they arrived on dealer lots yet?

Albeit a subjective analysis, I can't wait until an experienced Gen 1 M3 owner test drives a "Highland" and reports back on ride quality - when driven on typical American roads, not newly paved EU test routes. 125,000 miles on my 2019 M3, time for a break from the (significantly) rough ride... Test drove a Lyriq, and man was it smooth.

Also looking forward to a real world 70 mph EPA range comparison.

Last edited:
Is autoshifting enabled by default in Highland?

I’m not a fan of the placement of the capacitive gear shifter on the roof or the screen-swiping shifter on the screen, but I’d rather shift the car myself rather than rely on their software to guess which gear I need in any given situation. The stalk is my preferred way of shifting.

Reactions: Falcon73
Matter of time before Highland starts using 4680 cells that qualify for the full $7.5k fed credit. Definitely before year end. Thank you Cybertruck for turning into a massive dumpster fire.
The Model 3 would need a substantial chassis re-design and re-engineering to accommodate 4680 cells. And Tesla can make nowhere near enough 4680 cells to supply Model 3.

They would rather push you into a Model Y that qualifies for tax credit as it’s more profitable for them (and with tax credit ends up cheaper than Model 3 for many buyers).