Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla launches Model 3 Highland refresh in North America - No Performance model listed as of 01.10.2024

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the fastest anyone has ever gone in the 1/4 mile in any Model 3 and that didn’t even hit 125 mph.

It takes forever for the Model 3 Performance to exceed 125 mph. The LR and especially the RWD would take so much longer.

Honestly, it is just so unnecessary to ask for a LR without Boost to go above 125 mph. It would take so long to get to that speed it just wouldn’t be worth it.

IMG_1466.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: BigNick
This is the fastest anyone has ever gone in the 1/4 mile in any Model 3 and that didn’t even hit 125 mph.

It takes forever for the Model 3 Performance to exceed 125 mph. The LR and especially the RWD would take so much longer.

Honestly, it is just so unnecessary to ask for a LR without Boost to go above 125 mph. It would take so long to get to that speed it just wouldn’t be worth it.

View attachment 1009722
I believe thats the car number. 1/4 mile mph 122.93 still under 125. Even 100 mph is unnecessary and not practical with all the potholes on the road anyways

I believe thats the car number. 1/4 mile mph 122.93 still under 125. Even 100 mph is unnecessary and not practical with all the potholes on the road anyways
That is my time slip. The car number is circled so that people don’t think I was in the left lane doing 130+ mph in a Model 3.

The truth is that the 122.93 mph may have not even been accurate either. I honestly don’t think the Model 3 can exceed 120.0 mph in the 1/4 mile. Track trap speeds are often inaccurate.

This is the Dragy slip from the same record run. It only showed 120.0 mph. I don’t think any other Model 3 besides mine has done over 119 mph in the 1/4 mile on Dragy. Everyone else tops out in the 118s.

IMG_1467.jpeg

Reactions: Mulkogi
I raced autocross for 10+ years and have done 50+ track days.
I have never once done 125mph on a track.
Only a handful of times on the road and just barely. That's with 30 years of driving as fast as possible at all times, everywhere.

That being said I'm against any limits imposed by the car. I want to be able to turn off all stability, traction and speed limits.

99.99% of drivers will never even once hit the 125mph limit on the LR.

Model 3s and Ys have not had homelink included since around the 4th quarter of 2021, maybe even a bit earlier than that. It needed to be purchased after you took ownership of the vehicle, as well. There has not previously been any way to order it "with" the vehicle, once they removed it from being installed in every model 3 / Y by default.
Earlier than that. My 4/21 Y didn't come with it. I had tesla put it in.

When I got my 3, I put it in myself. Super easy.

Only a handful of times on the road and just barely. That's with 30 years of driving as fast as possible at all times, everywhere.

That being said I'm against any limits imposed by the car. I want to be able to turn off all stability, traction and speed limits.

I've only done 20ish track events and I've hit 125 in a couple of cars (1st gen CTSV and a G35 coupe),but that was the limit for me. I'm sure a better driver than me could get better exits before the straight and go faster.

I think it depends on which tracks you go to. VIR is where I hit those speeds. Here's someone much better at driving than me at VIR in a Model 3 (he hits 136mph)

That said, I agree it's not an issue especially since it's not even the performance model.

Sounds like you need to drive COTA or a number of other tracks across the country. Fifty track days, in a year? 😂 or are we basing that off your 10+yrs comment? To me, it sounds like you’re not the buyer that needs a high top speed. There are plenty that are concerned and if the highland performance accelerates faster than previous 3Perf, certain tracks would benefit from a higher top speed. Allowing the car to be more competitive with traditional track toys in the high speed sections.

Got a source for the “99.99% of drivers…” statement?

Ok, now that we’ve weeded through the chest puffing, here’s some ACTUAL news 🤣

The picture of the seats was posted already.

May wanna come down off that holier than thou soap box. 😂👌🏿

The picture of the seats was posted already.

May wanna come down off that holier than thou soap box. 😂👌🏿

Not in this thread which is also about Highland. You guys are going off in tangents and the mods already said that things were going off track.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
Sounds like you need to drive COTA or a number of other tracks across the country. Fifty track days, in a year? 😂 or are we basing that off your 10+yrs comment? To me, it sounds like you’re not the buyer that needs a high top speed. There are plenty that are concerned and if the highland performance accelerates faster than previous 3Perf, certain tracks would benefit from a higher top speed. Allowing the car to be more competitive with traditional track toys in the high speed sections.

Got a source for the “99.99% of drivers…” statement?
I never said in a year. I also said the Long Range. I also I don't like limits.
The performance should 100% have a higher top speed. Still very few drivers will have the ability to use it, even on track.
Laguna seca and Sears point are my home tracks. Neither one has a very long straightaway.

Dark helmet hits 150ish and a 2 performance around 118 at Laguna.

I'm looking at a 2022 3 performance with 18k miles for 36k and the sell will negotiate. Or do I wait for a new one?

I'm looking at a 2022 3 performance with 18k miles for 36k and the sell will negotiate. Or do I wait for a new one?
There are some inventory cars left for just under $46k plus they get the $7,500 rebate upfront now. I wouldn’t buy a used one for more than about $30k right now.

I have a 2022 Model 3 Performance I would sell right now for $36k. Quickest one on the planet too.😉

IMG_1477.png

What I’m more curious about is if they limited the top speed due to (lack of) high speed stability, of the car feels a bit squirrelly at more normal, but still not legal speeds (say 90-100).
Other possibilities include the possibility of design and component choices that are less constrained when the top speed is limited to 125mph instead of 140mph:
  • Tires with a speed rating of H (130mph) become an option.
  • Motors or gearing do not need to be capable of speeds above 125mph, potentially allowing for better efficiency or performance at lower speeds that drivers will actually use.

Other possibilities include the possibility of design and component choices that are less constrained when the top speed is limited to 125mph instead of 140mph:
  • Tires with a speed rating of H (130mph) become an option.
  • Motors or gearing do not need to be capable of speeds above 125mph, potentially allowing for better efficiency or performance at lower speeds that drivers will actually use.
Tires are already known to be V rated (18s) or W rated (19s), so it’s not that. The battery, motors, and gearing are unchanged from the previous model, so it’s not that either.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
The thing is other vehicles like the base bmw series 3 also has a 130mph limit. But no one will bat an eye because they don’t post that in their main page. Still Jimmy will go buy that series 3 and slap an M badge and feel good about it.

Reactions: E90alex