Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla like to Rob the British for just some heated seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was interested in the heated seats but I don't think Tesla realise $300 is £230 in our money. That is a huge markup for a software unlock for people here. There are no extra delivery costs involved or shipping taxes? Come one give us a break with this for the all times we have to sort out delivery issues! Poor form Tesla!

View attachment 511418

I completely misread this. I thought you were complaining it’s £230. D’oh. £300 is definitely a little more than I’d like to see. Tax here in the USA negates some of that difference, though.

Pretty typical for American products to cost the same in USD as GBP, though.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I was interested in the heated seats but I don't think Tesla realise $300 is £230 in our money. That is a huge markup for a software unlock for people here. There are no extra delivery costs involved or shipping taxes? Come one give us a break with this for the all times we have to sort out delivery issues! Poor form Tesla!

View attachment 511418
Just "hotwire" them, if the gear is already there, run your own switch... bet you can do it for under $300... just make sure you don't use a LUCAS switch or the Prince of Darkness will visit your Tesla

Last edited:
Squeaky wheel gets the grease. That being said, it’s not like Tesla doesn’t have a history of giving away stuff to appease folks pre-3 but then again their average car also cost 2x then what it is now.

So, whine and complain, until you get something you shouldn’t.
Then validate it, by stating they’ve done it before.
Imagine if every customer with ANY manufacturer whined and screamed for free stuff every time something went wrong. ?
Justifying it, really tells us you don’t care what problems whining and screaming for free stuff causes.
If you’re comfortable being one of those guys, nothing more to say. :)

View attachment 511418
Can’t tell if you are joking or being service. In what universe do you live in where you expect to get features for free? BMW Audi would charge couple thousand dollars for these features. It’s actually ridiculously cheap

So, whine and complain, until you get something you shouldn’t.
Then validate it, by stating they’ve done it before.
Imagine if every customer with ANY manufacturer whined and screamed for free stuff every time something went wrong. ?
Justifying it, really tells us you don’t care what problems whining and screaming for free stuff causes.
If you’re comfortable being one of those guys, nothing more to say. :)
When the price difference between the Base SR and SR+ is effectively $5,000 yes, they should just enable the rear heated seats and save the nickel and diming for those who bought the vanilla car. And I say this as someone who has the three scooper banana split with sprinkles but also has an order for the vanilla car as a comparison.

I fail to understand why anyone would assume all products carry the same cost (in USD) in every country said product is sold. Aside from basic cost of living differences there are significantly varying cost to do business from country to country.

That said it is strange that it’s the exact same numerical value. I would guess someone screwed up somewhere considering FSD isn’t 7k GBP.

• Funny
When the price difference between the Base SR and SR+ is effectively $5,000 yes, they should just enable the rear heated seats and save the nickel and diming for those who bought the vanilla car. And I say this as someone who has the three scooper banana split with sprinkles but also has an order for the vanilla car as a comparison.

I think its the sales tax that did it... I feel so much better now. Stand down. :)

On a serious note three scoops is a bit much for me might I suggest you put it towards your seats instead?

Ok can we pay £20 less instead? Or maybe a BOGOF feature special?

Tesla do not do a Vanilla car yet if you think about it....

Heated rear seats was £600-700 as an option in my last car. Which were not on my car so I didn’t have this and couldn’t have got without a retrofit, on a £2500 nappa leather seats option.

It is screwing with people’s heads that a software flag equates to ££. Some of the list price equates to parts fitted, so everyone is paying towards having heated seats physically installed, but it costs less to manufacture all cars the same, so that brings costs affecting list price down again.

£300+VAT for heated rear seats is a bargain on any car I’ve seen.

That's rough. Is the whole car more expensive than it is in North America though? I wonder if this is just international export markup, honestly. Not that it needs to be as you said it's probably just a software flag, but I doubt a finance department is detailing which aspects of the car should be be considered for that or not.

Kinda cool that we have heated seats as a cheap stand-alone option now though. Usually they're bundled with a leather seats upgrade, which may or may not be part of some larger and costlier bundle.

So every car mfg that has an issue with their car or service, should give free products or services away to compensate ?
Can’t happen. No one can afford that on a regular basis, because manufacturing and services will ALWAYS have problems. It’s a given.
A new company, with a leading edge car like Tesla even more so.
If you have no tolerance for the issues that can surround a new product from a new company, you’ve likely made a bad purchasing decision.

Microsoft’s first operating system was loaded with issues.
Initial smart phones were also loaded with issues.
How many here got free stuff from Microsoft Apple, or iPhone ??
I’ve never received anything from BMW, Ford, or Jeep, every single time they messed up. Which was always.
And they were established.

I think you missed the point, or this is a great example of a straw-man argument. There was no issue with a particular car or service noted by the OP. There was no ask for anything for free from the OP. They only were pointing out that the option is effectively more expensive after accounting for currency conversions, and by quite a lot too.

There's additional cost for them to do business in your country, so there are additional costs in the product. It's fairly basic logic.

If there's any valid reason, this is a great candidate.

• Funny
What do 12v batteries have to do with unfavorable conversion rates?

I don't think BrExit has been fully priced into the currency yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see the UK pound getting close to par with the Euro by the time the dust settles.

Regardless, US$ prices are always quoted before sales tax, because the rates here in the States vary so dramatically.
In Europe, prices almost always include VAT, which accounts for most of the difference (but not all, as people have pointed out).

• Informative
Reactions: CertLive