Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Looking for Good Drivers to Test Full Self-Driving System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

If you want to be a beta tester of Tesla’s Full Self-Driving system, you’re going to need to be a good driver.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted that owners will soon be able to request access via a button in the car. This will give Tesla permission to evaluate owners’ driving for seven days before they’re included in the beta testing group.

Musk also tweeted that that Version 10.1 of the FSD Beta is estimated to arrive on September 24th. The beta request button will be included in the update.

The V10 update was well-received, with some reviewers showing their cars navigating through areas that it was previously unable to complete without driver intervention. Musk has said the next version will be another noticeable step in performance for the system. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Battouttahe77
I'm someone who's very happy using NOA on freeways all the time. That's after several weeks, at first, of getting good at it, understanding the limitations and working WITH it, not looking for imperfections to bitch about. Anyway, it's indispensable to me now, and it keeps getting smarter.

I'm looking forward to the "FSD beta", i.e. preliminary street level NOA. But I don't think it's as important as highway (not just freeway) NOA.

To ride the automation is a different way to drive. City streets will require a different adaptation yet. For the short segments that are easily handled in manual, and where proactive disengagement of automation will be more frequent for now, I'm not sure how much value it will add. We'll see.

But this is a bona fide Beta. I hope the people who have been unhappy with the system will consider their mission, of proving it's a POS, accomplished, so they can (please) stay out of the program.

Last edited:
Back in April Tristan @rice_fry on Twitter Reported that Tesla Insurance records information on a per drive basis including:
Unique Drive ID
Record Version
Car Firmware Version
Driver Profile Name
Start/End Time
Drive Duration
Start/End Odometer
Number of Autopilot Strikeouts
Number of Forward Collision Warnings
Number of Lane Departure Warnings
Number of ABS activations
Time spent within 1s of car in front
Time spent within 3s of car in front
Acceleration Variance
Service Mode
Delivered

See post #3 of this thread.

Just to be clear - this only shows what the insurance "records". We don't really know how they use it.

IOW, we know what parameters go into calculating driver risk rating - we don't the formula, weightage, whether they use all these parameters at all or what other things they add about the driver they know from other sources.

My main gripe with FSD (as near as I get to it) is that as a driver with a little racing experience I do not drive in the exact centre of the lane but from apex to apex when the road is clear. I have been shut down on a clear straightish road sans traffic 'cos I continued to do so. Now I leave the Beta in 'warning' and have my hands massaged quite a lot...

• Disagree
Reactions: dbldwn02
That’s exactly what I would have said before I took my most recent road trip about 3 weeks ago. Only time I had landed in AP jail was when I had truly become distracted enough to miss the multiple prompts. But as of last trip, when I got put in jail, after resetting and getting out I made a conscious and active effort to not get thrown in again! Almost immediately after the blue blinking reminder I would apply torque. The weird thing is, my notification from the blue warning seemed to decrease, and despite literally my best efforts to “jump on” the alert — I still was placed in jail twice more over the course of a 4 hour drive. It really felt like something had changed in the notification system - been doing this for almost 3 years. Anyone feel the same, or have knowledge of an update changing anything?
keep a finger on one of the scroll wheels. Scrolling will do the same as torque. I always get nagged despite having hand on wheel and applying some (I guess not enough) torque. I found scrolling dismisses it. I generally lower volume and then back up.

Yeaahhhhh ... done that, it just doesn't feel comfortable. Good suggestion though thanx ... What would be great is if they put some AI into it like when I get 3 in a row, increase the interval by 5 seconds. rinse repeat until some cap. But man, give me *some* break!

Reactions: dyau
So, today’s the day! Anyone not already on the FSD beta program seen the update yet?

(To be honest, after years of blown schedules, I’m not really expecting it, but I live in hope that someday I’ll see the feature I paid for almost 5 years ago…)

Not me. I looked all over. Anyone know where the mystery button is supposed to make it's appearance? I figure autpilot navigate options, but I looked in driving, service, actually probably opened everything in quick controls.

edit - - but I have (or at least paid for ) FSD so maybe I'll be the last to get the button

Last edited:
My insurance company discount app dings me for accelerating faster than 5mph/second. I have complained that that is way too sensitive. To not get a ding, to get to 40mph for example would take 8 seconds. Fred Flinstone gets to 40 faster than that. I don't think too many Tesla drivers are getting their insurance company discounts. Ha!
how do they get the data?

So, today’s the day! Anyone not already on the FSD beta program seen the update yet?

(To be honest, after years of blown schedules, I’m not really expecting it, but I live in hope that someday I’ll see the feature I paid for almost 5 years ago…)
Time frame for waiting is the same here. Although hopeful, I am still fearful that those who have not waited as long as us will get priority.

Ofcourse, yes !, BETA is not ready for MCU1/AP3 customers is what I am expecting to hear :)
But even if so, I'd prefer a first paid/first in, even if only to those who have the supported hardware. To heck with the safety criteria. These guys are still driving expensive, un-totaled cars many years later. By definition, they are "safe drivers".

Elon has forgotten his base.

Having lived in Texas eight years, am aware that much of the US is laid out in a N_S, E_W grid This leads to many sharp right-angle turns and junctions. FSD keeps you in the lane centre and aims for the centre of the lane you're turning to. This leads to sharp, uncomfortable turnings. Is it possible to have a bit more tolerance with lane positioning and thus driving in a series of gentle ogee curves? Easier on tyres, passengers and the driver. My wife (bless her) much prefers me to be driving than either FSD or cruise control. Cannot imagine how British drivers cope. Here in NZ we have much more room...

Reactions: GargantulaKon
The story of the B17 returning from bombing raids in WWII comes to mind. Initially, the technicians were reinforcing the areas with most damage until a mathematician told them that they should reinforce the areas with no damage. In math, this is known as “winners bias”. The damage was not a problem because the bombers return; those that had damage in the other areas did not return.
So, instead of “safe drivers” Tesla should look for “unsafe drivers”. If a driver is “safe” to begin with, what is the point of FSD?!