Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla looking to recognize more FSD revenue for 2020 Q1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would have been dumb on Tesla's part to recognize any revenue in Q1.
Right now, they can get away with "bad quarter because of Covid-19". I for one would take (pull forward if needed) some more charges in to Q1 and push out recognizing revenue to Q2 or Q3.

Just a thought.

Yup- makes sense to me.

Take the hit you know you're gonna take anyway from low deliveries due to the end of Q push getting nerfed by the virus... then hope you can make Q2 look really good if the lockdowns lift before June.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
It would have been dumb on Tesla's part to recognize any revenue in Q1.
Right now, they can get away with "bad quarter because of Covid-19". I for one would take (pull forward if needed) some more charges in to Q1 and push out recognizing revenue to Q2 or Q3.

Just a thought.

Yup- makes sense to me.

Take the hit you know you're gonna take anyway from low deliveries due to the end of Q push getting nerfed by the virus... then hope you can make Q2 look really good if the lockdowns lift before June.

Makes sense, but it will be hard for them to have a good Q2 as well....

I'd hate for them to wait to release until Q3... just for these reasons

Reactions: willow_hiller
@Knightshade @NHK X @diplomat33

So I figured that this wide release of this 'intersection stopping' would come much quicker than the wide release of smart summon, because it is far easer to to test and validate in shadow mode than smart summon is. With smart summon, that can only be validated (and get only get test data) from Early access people, and early access people using it often. And a lot of cases would come up that they would not have expected.

With intersections... they can get training data and validation data from the whole fleet everywhere and they don't need to be doing anything special, just going through intersections. So they already have over a year of training and validation data... and they can very easily collect more from both the EAP people and data from the whole fleet. Say they train a new model... they could roll it out in shadow mode, and have millions or tens of millions of intersections validated in a very short time period.

However, of course if they simply are having trouble training a model that meets the performance they need.... this could mean it could take a long long time. But I don't think that's the case.

However, again, seeing verygreens most recent comments on twitter about this early access update, it seems it is a very early release and seems they may have lots to do still.

I do think late June is a realistic possibility though. (who knows though, could be sooner, or much much later)

However, again, seeing verygreens most recent comments on twitter about this early access update, it seems it is a very early release and seems they may have lots to do still.

Yeah, Green's reference to getting rear ended makes me think that Tesla still needs to optimize the actual stopping part. As I see it, traffic light response requires 3 pieces:
1) Detect the presence of a traffic light
2) Detect if the light is red or yellow or green.
3) If the light is red or yellow, slow down in a safe manner in order to stop at the stop line. When light is green, accelerate in a safe way.

So it is more than just training the NN with data to recognize red lights. #3 is tricky. If you brake too hard, you will stop short and risk getting rear ended. But if you brake too lightly, you can overshoot the stop line and risk getting hit by cross traffic. So you need to brake just right. Tesla may still need to be working on getting that part right.

I do think late June is a realistic possibility though. (who knows though, could be sooner, or much much later)

June seems fair.

Yeah, Green's reference to getting rear ended makes me think that Tesla still needs to optimize the actual stopping part. As I see it, traffic light response requires 3 pieces:
3) If the light is red or yellow, slow down in a safe manner in order to stop at the stop line. When light is green, accelerate in a safe way.

So it is more than just training the NN with data to recognize red lights. #3 is tricky. If you brake too hard, you will stop short and risk getting rear ended. But if you brake too lightly, you can overshoot the stop line and risk getting hit by cross traffic. So you need to brake just right. Tesla may still need to be working on getting that part right.

June seems fair.

Agreed, Green described them as ghost brake type slow downs, would be interesting to see what the issue was. Or instead is it too much precaution on Tesla’s part while waiting for a response from driver?

While Green has said shadow mode doesn’t exists, I think he did mention this has been around for quite some time.

I guess risk profile is much greater for this feature, although it seems it should have come out sooner. Either way, I do hope it comes out better baked than smart summon did.

@Knightshade @NHK X @diplomat33

So I figured that this wide release of this 'intersection stopping' would come much quicker than the wide release of smart summon, because it is far easer to to test and validate in shadow mode than smart summon is. With smart summon, that can only be validated (and get only get test data) from Early access people, and early access people using it often. And a lot of cases would come up that they would not have expected.

Sure- but the RISK OF HARM of a mistake at 3 mph in a private parking lot where the failsafe is just stopping dead when unsure is vastly vastly lower than blowing a red light or stop sign at speed through an intersection on a public road (or even of mistakenly slamming the brakes at speed on a public road at a green light).

While Green has said shadow mode doesn’t exists, I think he did mention this has been around for quite some time..

My impression wasn't that it "didn't exist" just that it wasn't nearly as fancy, complex, and advanced as Tesla would prefer you think it is.... deep dive here-

green on Twitter

also 3B) If it's yellow, decide if braking to stop for it, or accelerating to get through it, is the correct decision based on distance from light, current speed, time of yellow

Reactions: diplomat33
Sure- but the RISK OF HARM of a mistake at 3 mph in a private parking lot where the failsafe is just stopping dead when unsure is vastly vastly lower than blowing a red light or stop sign at speed through an intersection on a public road (or even of mistakenly slamming the brakes at speed on a public road at a green light).

True. I did consider this.

However the risk of blowing a red light already exists... I think this only decreases that risk even if it isn't performing optimally. And I don't think they would implement it to slam on brakes... they probably set thresholds and alert if can't brake on time or not. The RISK of HARM that is brought up by the potential to reduce speed and come to a stop at a green light is quite low IMO. However, I agree the RISK of HARM for smart summon was also quite low.

Naah... well, naah for pre-march-2019 buyers.... for them, one of the promised features is doing these things without interventions... so at least SOME of THAT revenue can't be recognized for quite a while (if ever)- just as we've seen with things like smart summon, you can't recognize it until you have the feature available in a given geo...

Post March-19 buyers they can recognize quite a bit of that with just the stop lights/signs bit since that's 2 of the 3 remaining "promised" features for those folks... (automatic driving on city streets being the third- not sure I'd hold my breath on that one right now)

Elon is also promising robo taxis this year/next year (allowing for some COVID slippage) so that means he must be planning on having all the features done without requiring interventions. If Tesla is being allowed partial revenue recognition, then he can declare "feature complete" and argue that some extremely fraction of a percentage should be withheld for government approval.

Elon is also promising robo taxis this year/next year (allowing for some COVID slippage) so that means he must be planning on having all the features done without requiring interventions.

He was also planning for them to drive cross country without interventions 3 years ago.

He's... optimistic.

If Tesla is being allowed partial revenue recognition, then he can declare "feature complete" and argue that some extremely fraction of a percentage should be withheld for government approval.

Well.. no.

For the pre-march-2019 folks he's delivered roughly 0% of feature complete FSD prior to the stoplight thing, and you'd have a hard time convincing any court (or the IRS) the stoplight thing is more than a small fraction of what's promised.

Now- for the post-march-2019 folks there's 7 listed features... in theory 5 of em were already largely 'delivered' before now, and this is the 6th... so if they wanted to recognize 6/7ths of all that they could probably get away with that.

<snip>

For the pre-march-2019 folks he's delivered roughly 0% of feature complete FSD prior to the stoplight thing, and you'd have a hard time convincing any court (or the IRS) the stoplight thing is more than a small fraction of what's promised.

Now- for the post-march-2019 folks there's 7 listed features... in theory 5 of em were already largely 'delivered' before now, and this is the 6th... so if they wanted to recognize 6/7ths of all that they could probably get away with that.

What features were in pre-March 2019 FSD list that Tesla removed at that point? I don't think anyone pre-March 2019 is getting anything different from what March 2019 onward will get (i.e. everyone is going forward with the new h/w platform and re-written FSD software). Are you thinking there is a "bait and switch" where what pre-March 2019 FSD purchasers thought they were getting is different than what post March 2019 purchasers are getting?