Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future of FSD after "traffic light & stop sign response" release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3 HW3 2020.24.6.4
On my 4-lane non-divided highway commute, I have a couple of blinking yellow lights at intersections with occasional cross traffic. Navigate on Autopilot instructs my car, going 70 mph, to stop completely in about 200 yards at the flashing yellow lights, regardless of canceling several times, on accelerator and stem. I have to completely power through and past the lights. Woe be to the traffic behind me-- and to me when I'm rear ended.

Probably depends where you are. But traffic regulations here require you to slow down and proceed with caution at a yellow flashing light. Proceeding through a yellow flashing light at speed will get you a ticket 100 percent of the time here.

Look, I would love for Tesla to deliver "feature complete L5" by the end of this year. Heck, I own a Model 3 and paid for FSD. I have every reason to want Tesla to deliver on that. I just think there are good reasons to be skeptical. The current features we have are a far cry from L5. Wanting something to be true because it is in your best interest and whether something can realistically happen are two different things. I used to be super optimistic but I got disappointed by the missed deadlines. I think it is better to try to be realistic rather than just gunning for something because you want it to be true.

Elon understands the problem. He tests the build routinely in his own car. He says he's extremely confident.

Get ready for level 3 by end of year!

Lol, it's exciting that Tesla is rapidly progressing on FSD. But I still can't believe they'll achieve feature complete by end of year. Granted traffic control works mind-blowingly well (I've had it identify lights in direct afternoon sunlight), considering the known limitations of ML.

Elon understands the problem. He tests the build routinely in his own car. He says he's extremely confident.

Get ready for level 3 by end of year!

Lol, it's exciting that Tesla is rapidly progressing on FSD. But I still can't believe they'll achieve feature complete by end of year. Granted traffic control works mind-blowingly well (I've had it identify lights in direct afternoon sunlight), considering the known limitations of ML.

I hope you are right. I would love to have L3 by the end of this year. But Elon was confident Tesla would have "feature complete" by the end of last year too and he was wrong.

I still think Elon is underestimating the problem when he says that fundamental challenges have been solved and it's just small problems left. Even he admits that there is a long tail of problems. That long tail can be super hard to solve.

Elon is underestimating the problem when he says that fundamental challenges have been solved and it's just small problems left. Even he admits that there is a long tail of problems. That long tail can be super hard to solve.

I don't think he's underestimating the problem. He's just too optimistic that they'd essentially push the boundaries of ML to the trailing 9s. Tesla is in uncharted territory constantly during FSD development, which Karpathy mentioned a couple times during his talks. I don't think any other company has the balls or tech to release a traffic control feature now or anytime soon... I think they achieved something special with how reliable the traffic control feature is right now.

Just got a Y a little over a week or so. Tried the stoplight control feature. Not ready for prime time imo. It recognized stoplights at several hundred feet but when it detected a green light with no car in front of me, it began slowing down dramatically approaching 20 mph from the 45 mph speed limit for no reason. I had to repeatedly step on the accelerator for fear of getting rear ended. I turned the feature off.

M3 HW3 2020.24.6.4
On my 4-lane non-divided highway commute, I have a couple of blinking yellow lights at intersections with occasional cross traffic. Navigate on Autopilot instructs my car, going 70 mph, to stop completely in about 200 yards at the flashing yellow lights, regardless of canceling several times, on accelerator and stem. I have to completely power through and past the lights. Woe be to the traffic behind me-- and to me when I'm rear ended.

Do you guys read the instructions (release notes)? System slows down for every traffic light. If you feel the car slowing down just a hit on the cruise control lever will override that. It is super easy and works great!

I hope you are right. I would love to have L3 by the end of this year. But Elon was confident Tesla would have "feature complete" by the end of last year too and he was wrong.

I still think Elon is underestimating the problem when he says that fundamental challenges have been solved and it's just small problems left. Even he admits that there is a long tail of problems. That long tail can be super hard to solve.

Or he knows and he's bullshitting.

The cool thing is that Tesla has already achieved a high percentage confidence for light detection (whether it's green yellow or red). I'd estimate it's around 99.5%+.

Food for thought. I don't know if this is a new feature but I was approaching a stoplight intersection with the left blinker on and cruise control enabled. My 3 automatically slowed down about 300ft before I reached the turning lane to prepare for the red light even though the through traffic was a green light. I also had navigation on. Is this behavior new?

Food for thought. I don't know if this is a new feature but I was approaching a stoplight intersection with the left blinker on and cruise control enabled. My 3 automatically slowed down about 300ft before I reached the turning lane to prepare for the red light even though the through traffic was a green light. I also had navigation on. Is this behavior new?

From my understanding of your post, if you have the Stop Light Detection beta active, and there was no car in front of you, this would be expected.