Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Made Nearly 10,000 Model 3s in Q1, Posts Record Production Numbers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla achieved record vehicle production in the first quarter of 2018, including nearly 10,000 Model 3s, the company said today.

In total, the company manufactured 34,494 vehicles.

“The Model 3 output increased exponentially, representing a fourfold increase over last quarter,” Tesla said in a release. “This is the fastest growth of any automotive company in the modern era. If this rate of growth continues, it will exceed even that of Ford and the Model T.”

First quarter deliveries totaled 29,980 vehicles, of which 11,730 were Model S, 10,070 were Model X, and 8,180 were Model 3.

See the full release below:

Tesla Q1 2018 Vehicle Production and Deliveries

PALO ALTO, Calif., April 03, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Q1 production totaled 34,494 vehicles, a 40% increase from Q4 and by far the most productive quarter in Tesla history. 24,728 were Model S and Model X, and 9,766 were Model 3. The Model 3 output increased exponentially, representing a fourfold increase over last quarter. This is the fastest growth of any automotive company in the modern era. If this rate of growth continues, it will exceed even that of Ford and the Model T.

We were able to double the weekly Model 3 production rate during the quarter by rapidly addressing production and supply chain bottlenecks, including several short factory shutdowns to upgrade equipment.

In the past seven days, Tesla produced 2,020 Model 3 vehicles. In the next seven days, we expect to produce 2,000 Model S and X vehicles and 2,000 Model 3 vehicles. It is a testament to the ability of the Tesla production team that Model 3 volume now exceeds Model S and Model X combined. What took our team five years for S/X, took only nine months for Model 3.

Given the progress made thus far and upcoming actions for further capacity improvement, we expect that the Model 3 production rate will climb rapidly through Q2. Tesla continues to target a production rate of approximately 5,000 units per week in about three months, laying the groundwork for Q3 to have the long-sought ideal combination of high volume, good gross margin and strong positive operating cash flow. As a result, Tesla does not require an equity or debt raise this year, apart from standard credit lines.

Q1 deliveries totaled 29,980 vehicles, of which 11,730 were Model S, 10,070 were Model X, and 8,180 were Model 3. Net orders for Model S and X were at an all-time Q1 record, and demand remains very strong. Model S and X customer vehicles in transit were high. 4,060 Model S and X vehicles were in transit to customers at the end of Q1, which was 68% higher than at the end of Q4 2017. An additional 2,040 Model 3 vehicles were also in transit to customers. These vehicles will be delivered in early Q2 2018, which keeps us on track for our full-year 2018 Model S and X delivery guidance.

Finally, we would like to share two additional points about Model 3:

The quality of Model 3 coming out of production is at the highest level we have seen across all our products. This is reflected in the overwhelming delight experienced by our customers with their Model 3’s. Our initial customer satisfaction score for Model 3 quality is above 93%, which is the highest score in Tesla’s history.

Net Model 3 reservations remained stable through Q1. The reasons for order cancellation are almost entirely due to delays in production in general and delays in availability of certain planned options, particularly dual motor AWD and the smaller battery pack. As described above, owner happiness with the product is extremely high.

We would like to thank our customers, suppliers and investors for their continued patience and belief in Tesla.

Our delivery count should be viewed as slightly conservative, as we only count a car as delivered if it is transferred to the customer and all paperwork is correct. Final numbers could vary by up to 0.5%. Tesla vehicle deliveries represent only one measure of the company’s financial performance and should not be relied on as an indicator of quarterly financial results, which depend on a variety of factors, including the cost of sales, foreign exchange movements and mix of directly leased vehicles.

Forward-Looking Statements

Certain statements herein, including statements regarding future production and delivery of Model S, Model X and Model 3 and expected gross margin and cash flow results, are “forward-looking statements” that are subject to risks and uncertainties. These forward-looking statements are based on management’s current expectations. Various important factors could cause actual results to differ materially, including the risks identified in our SEC filings. Tesla disclaims any obligation to update this information.

Last edited by a moderator:
They pitch it like it is the most "amazing accomplishment in automotive history!" ........ what a load of crap! Any OEM in the "modern era" that had this UGLY of a ramp-up of a new vehicle would be considered a massive failure! Considering the "absolute" guarantee by the CEO, the really poor production numbers, and the pushing out of questionable quality vehicles in a panic effort to produce just a couple of thousand a week , this company is doomed!

579, 1162, 952, 1292, 1566, 1642, 1971, 2107, 2632, 2781, 2987, 3227, 1177, 1424, 1774.

30, 75, 117, 145, 345, 1060, 1875, 2485, 3820.

They pitch it like it is the most "amazing accomplishment in automotive history!" ........ what a load of crap! Any OEM in the "modern era" that had this UGLY of a ramp-up of a new vehicle would be considered a massive failure! Considering the "absolute" guarantee by the CEO, the really poor production numbers, and the pushing out of questionable quality vehicles in a panic effort to produce just a couple of thousand a week , this company is doomed!
I have a new Model 3 and there is NOTHING wrong with the quality.

• Informative
Reactions: pedriscoll
Ford produces 60,000 per month of F150's AND ACTUALLY MAKES MONEY ON THEM....WHAT AN ODD CONCEPT FOR TESLA!

I have spent decades in the auto industry including factories in USA, Mexico, Canada, China, Japan, Thailand, Germany, France, Italy, England, and others......there is NOTHING like the Tesla performance (failures)/market cap that has ever existed. One close is Qoros where someone else (a Israel billionaire) wanted to do the same thing...electric small cars and lost billions.

You are correct and you should be proud! There is nothing like Tesla! After spending decades in the stagnant auto industry you must be cheering for Tesla on the inside and don't want to look like a fan boy. I understand the whole Michigan pride thing...

I am in awe of Tesla every time I think about no one has made the impact of Tesla. World Wars, gas crisis, recessions, the Japanese car invasion, bankruptcy - not even GM could make an EV work. Tesla has changed the auto industry.

PS - you might have forgot (decades ago) the Hyundai Excel was way worse than the worst model 3.

• Love
Reactions: tomas and Magus
Overall worldwide, or overall US? or overall Model 3 only?

US is at 173,251 plus however many S and X they delivered in March, call it another 4,000 or so.

Insideevs scorecard is updated enough to add S and X now

US running total Tesla Sales vs 200,000 for federal credit phase out trigger

2011 end 1,900
2012 end 4,550 (2,650 for 2012 + prior year)
2013 end 22,200 (17,650 for 2013 + prior years)
2014 end 38,889 (16,689 for 2014 + prior years)
2015 end 64,305 (25,416 for 2015 + prior years, Model S and Model X)
2016 end 111,424 (47,119 for 2016 + prior years, Model S and Model X)
2017 end 161,571 (50,147 for 2017 + prior years, Model S, Model 3, and Model X)
2018 partial 179,551 (17,980 for partial 2018 (Q1) + prior years, Model S, Model 3, and Model X)

Q1 was 17,980 US deliveries, leaving ~20,445 US deliveries in Q2 to not trigger the phaseout (send any excess to Canada until July 1 2018)

Typical Tesla lemming! Blind to the realities of how a "competitive" OEM operates compared to Tesla. My evidence is this blog (citing totally unbelievable defects of prior Model 3...compared to ANY other OEM new vehicle launch), facts from employees on 40% rework (compared to near PERFECT quality by ANY other OEM), and decades in the automotive industry that suggests that "Musk taking over production (compared to ANY other OEM that actually has someone that knows what they are doing in charge), and late Saturday push to "get them out!". Building a small electric sedan to improve profits is simply crazy....ANY other OEM makes NO money on these entries....they are simply a means of meeting CAFE and CARB standards...allowing they to make money on the other products. Finally, the Model 3 is priced for the "Early Adopters (kinda like Lemmings)" who will pay $50k for a $30k vehicle...and by the end of the year the $7.5k incentive is gone. A company valued at $40+ billion needs to make serious money! I say they will not make it and am short Tesla.
Really?! You're a Tesla short? I would have NEVER guessed judging by your posts. (All sarcasm is purely intentional.)

Dan

Typical Tesla lemming! Blind to the realities of how a "competitive" OEM operates compared to Tesla.

(bunch of stuff deleted)

I don't moderate this part of the TMC forums, but just as a reminder of rules:

Posts that rationally and critically point out Tesla's shortcomings (and yes we all know they exist) are fine here. However, name-calling and personal attacks are not acceptable and will lead to being banned from the forums.

Thanks,

Bruce.

Ford produces 60,000 per month of F150's AND ACTUALLY MAKES MONEY ON THEM....WHAT AN ODD CONCEPT FOR TESLA!

I have spent decades in the auto industry including factories in USA, Mexico, Canada, China, Japan, Thailand, Germany, France, Italy, England, and others......there is NOTHING like the Tesla performance (failures)/market cap that has ever existed. One close is Qoros where someone else (a Israel billionaire) wanted to do the same thing...electric small cars and lost billions.
Lol, In the Rouge River Ford plant, there is a 50,000 sq foot facility dedicated to fix broken trucks that come off the assembly line. They even talk about it on the guided tour.

• Informative
Reactions: Magus
I've purchased a number of new and used cars over the years. You want to talk about "initial quality" and say Tesla is worse than other manufacturers? Here's my experience:

1976 Fiat 131S wagon - my first car, briefly inherited from my mother when she bought a new car in 1978. I can't tell you what a piece of crap this was with the dealership making it worse every visit. This thing burned out a coil every 2 weeks.

1976 Pontiac Ventura (used). Not much broke on it because it had no options - but still lost a water pump and radiator (among other things) before it was 3 years old.

1978 Chevy Caprice Classic (used). Bought it when it was 18 months old. Everything from the carburetor to the motor for the sunroof failed.

1981 Dodge Omni O24 Miser. Bought new. Finally got some quality with a dependable engine (bought from VW). Only had to tow it once in the years I owned it (clutch cable broke, couldn't shift). Thought I needed a new transmission once but the repair shop said I only needed a new clutch plate and pressure pad. Honest people!

1984 Chrysler Laser XT Turbo (dealer demo). Mixed reviews of this Dodge Daytona clone. A sensor kept failing that killed the engine at weird times. A seat bracket failed for one of the more unusual failures I've had on a car.

1989 Olds Toronado Trofeo (dealer demo). This will eventually have me swearing off GM products because dealerships refusing to honor the warranty because the computer can't tell them what's wrong. Turns out the leads to the computer were melted. Not good on a brand new $30K car in 1990.

1994 Dodge Intrepid (used). Lots of minor hassles but fairly good. Would be a lot worse if I didn't have AAA Plus. Went 250K miles without needing transmission work - apparently that's unusual.

2002 Toyota Camry (used). Bought with 70K miles. Most reliable car I've had. Now at 298K miles and only died once (serpentine belt snapped). Four failed catalytic converters, though.

I've had similarly mixed results with the vehicles I've bought for my (now ex) wife. Engine computers and fuel pumps for minivans, burned engine valve in a Ford camper, complete inexplicable death of a Pontiac LeMans (the Korean re-badged import).

If the Model 3 avoids the Dead-12V-Battery-Makes-You-A-Bookend problem that I've heard from a couple of people, the other problems documented here will be trivial compared to the hassles I've had before. ...and NONE of those cars got better with updates or cleaner (from the electrical grid going cleaner) as time went on.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus and jelloslug
citing totally unbelievable defects of prior Model 3

With this kind of hyperbole, you will get laughed at, and you are a better fit for Seeking Alpha.

Much of the price you pay for a Tesla is for the amazing range and performance. So simply comparing the fit and finish of an $50k ICE car to an M3 is missing the point. Because on a $50K ICE Audi all you have is the great fit and finish, and good interior. But the battery tech is crap.. oh well it is non existent.

You are correct and you should be proud! There is nothing like Tesla! After spending decades in the stagnant auto industry you must be cheering for Tesla on the inside and don't want to look like a fan boy. I understand the whole Michigan pride thing...

I am in awe of Tesla every time I think about no one has made the impact of Tesla. World Wars, gas crisis, recessions, the Japanese car invasion, bankruptcy - not even GM could make an EV work. Tesla has changed the auto industry.

PS - you might have forgot (decades ago) the Hyundai Excel was way worse than the worst model 3.
I agree that Tesla has made a big impact......the Model S was a styling/innovation setter that gained amazing support from all those that loved the vehicle...I was AMAZED! and all this from a little known company.... I have embedded in me the basic premise for most products/companies is to make something like that PLUS make a profit. No profit in S, X, now 3.....potentially we can wait for the Class 8 truck?

With this kind of hyperbole, you will get laughed at, and you are a better fit for Seeking Alpha.

Much of the price you pay for a Tesla is for the amazing range and performance. So simply comparing the fit and finish of an $50k ICE car to an M3 is missing the point. Because on a $50K ICE Audi all you have is the great fit and finish, and good interior. But the battery tech is crap.. oh well it is non existent.
I'm comparing an M3 with a $30k ICE Hybrid...

I've purchased a number of new and used cars over the years. You want to talk about "initial quality" and say Tesla is worse than other manufacturers? Here's my experience:

1976 Fiat 131S wagon - my first car, briefly inherited from my mother when she bought a new car in 1978. I can't tell you what a piece of crap this was with the dealership making it worse every visit. This thing burned out a coil every 2 weeks.

1976 Pontiac Ventura (used). Not much broke on it because it had no options - but still lost a water pump and radiator (among other things) before it was 3 years old.

1978 Chevy Caprice Classic (used). Bought it when it was 18 months old. Everything from the carburetor to the motor for the sunroof failed.

1981 Dodge Omni O24 Miser. Bought new. Finally got some quality with a dependable engine (bought from VW). Only had to tow it once in the years I owned it (clutch cable broke, couldn't shift). Thought I needed a new transmission once but the repair shop said I only needed a new clutch plate and pressure pad. Honest people!

1984 Chrysler Laser XT Turbo (dealer demo). Mixed reviews of this Dodge Daytona clone. A sensor kept failing that killed the engine at weird times. A seat bracket failed for one of the more unusual failures I've had on a car.

1989 Olds Toronado Trofeo (dealer demo). This will eventually have me swearing off GM products because dealerships refusing to honor the warranty because the computer can't tell them what's wrong. Turns out the leads to the computer were melted. Not good on a brand new $30K car in 1990.

1994 Dodge Intrepid (used). Lots of minor hassles but fairly good. Would be a lot worse if I didn't have AAA Plus. Went 250K miles without needing transmission work - apparently that's unusual.

2002 Toyota Camry (used). Bought with 70K miles. Most reliable car I've had. Now at 298K miles and only died once (serpentine belt snapped). Four failed catalytic converters, though.

I've had similarly mixed results with the vehicles I've bought for my (now ex) wife. Engine computers and fuel pumps for minivans, burned engine valve in a Ford camper, complete inexplicable death of a Pontiac LeMans (the Korean re-badged import).

If the Model 3 avoids the Dead-12V-Battery-Makes-You-A-Bookend problem that I've heard from a couple of people, the other problems documented here will be trivial compared to the hassles I've had before. ...and NONE of those cars got better with updates or cleaner (from the electrical grid going cleaner) as time went on.
If you don't mind me pointing out the obvious, I'm talking about vehicles designed and produced in the last 10 years.........well we will find out as soon as some initial quality surveys come out...other than Consumer's Report which reflect my opinion BTY.

No profit in S, X, now 3.
Wait.. relax! Profit for a startup on a highly capital intensive industry like automobiles doesn't come that easily. They have started producing their first real product only in 2013 (only a handful 'S' produced in 2012 just to get to the market sooner, but the real production started in 2013 only).

Its been only 5 years, and they have:

- steadily increased their production numbers
- now have 3 product lines
- at the same time ramped up Service centers, Super Chargers
- and amazing amount of R&D poured into developing the best battery technology and <drum roll>autonomous driving.
- built out and expanded the Freemont factory
- built out the largest battery factory in the world
- started a new line of business - energy storage
- single-handedly created a new market for EVs, which did not exist before.

All of these takes an enormous amount of money/capital.. and the returns will come when they hit 200k+ cars per annum. Tesla is laying the foundation to rule the EV market, or alteast capture a big slice of that market.

So relax.. comparisons to ICE manufacturers that have been in existence and producing millions every year already and starting a new line with the same old same old technology is meaningless.

Last edited:

As if anyone besides a little enthusiast crowd would give a flying f... if a car has a 0-60 time of 5 or 6 seconds with a battery or a gas engine.
3 minutes vs 30 minutes of refueling, vastly superior range, infrastructure and perceived quality/luxury is what the standard customer buys.

Outside of a few select fanboards such as this you are the one who`d get "laughed at" for your "battery is everything"-stance......
And once the EV market actually outgrows the complete insignificance it has now and the usual players join Tesla better up their fit and finish as that`s what sells in the mass market.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: milleron and Magus
I agree that Tesla has made a big impact......the Model S was a styling/innovation setter that gained amazing support from all those that loved the vehicle...I was AMAZED! and all this from a little known company.... I have embedded in me the basic premise for most products/companies is to make something like that PLUS make a profit. No profit in S, X, now 3.....potentially we can wait for the Class 8 truck?

Honestly, many of us don’t care about profits at this time. Expand while one can. Then worry about profits later. If Tesla put profits ahead of expansion right now, that would mean it would be even easier for others to catch up. I care about the long game. Short all you want. I plan on holding for many more years.

Last edited:
As if anyone besides a little enthusiast crowd would give a flying f... if a car has a 0-60 time of 5 or 6 seconds with a battery or a gas engine.
3 minutes vs 30 minutes of refueling, vastly superior range, infrastructure and perceived quality/luxury is what the standard customer buys.

Outside of a few select fanboards such as this you are the one who`d get "laughed at" for your "battery is everything"-stance......
And once the EV market actually outgrows the complete insignificance it has now and the usual players join Tesla better up their fit and finish as that`s what sells in the mass market.

That’s okay. We are laughing back at them. Some automakers realize what the future is. Ford and GM are falling behind to the next iteration of vehicles. Right now it’s not obvious to many people, but it will be within 10 years. Many people in the US still think coal is the future. Not exactly “forward thinkers”.

BMW uses fear of Tesla and other EVs to rally employees into electric revolution

Last edited:
Wait.. relax! Profit for a startup on a highly capital intensive industry like automobiles doesn't come that easily. They have started producing their first real product only in 2013 (only a handful 'S' produced in 2012 just to get to the market sooner, but the real production started in 2013 only).

Its been only 5 years, and they have:

- steadily increased their production numbers
- now have 3 product lines
- at the same time ramped up Service centers, Super Chargers
- and amazing amount of R&D poured into developing the best battery technology and <drum roll>autonomous driving.
- built out and expanded the Freemont factory
- built out the largest battery factory in the world
- started a new line of business - energy storage
- single-handedly created a new market for EVs, which did not exist before.

All of these takes an enormous amount of money/capital.. and the returns will come when they hit 200k+ cars per annum. Tesla is laying the foundation to rule the EV market, or alteast capture a big slice of that market.

So relax.. comparisons to ICE manufacturers that have been in existence and producing millions every year already and starting a new line with the same old same old technology is meaningless.
Wow....good points and all true....well except:
1. autonomous driving..rated last in a very shaky "competitive advantage"...first-mover advantage, overcome by just about everyone.
2. Freemont factory.....state of the art, extremely expensive all around, carrying $10 Billion in debt ($4k+/vehicle), with Market cap of $44 billion, burning cash. Stumbling verses every single "certain" performance measures.
3. Battery Technology...Panasonic "cell-technology" available to any OEM...probably at a cost advantage?? LG Technology superior and Toyota will bring to market "Instant-Charge" technology.
4. Energy Storage....Sun City .... do I need to say more
5. EV Market ....you are right, they made the EV Market cool.........and if that is enough to sustain it, I am seriously wrong in my opinion.