Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla makes 8 times more profit than Toyota yet can't include ventilated seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only answering for myself here, but sometimes threads feel like discussion, and sometimes they feel like "something else". The "something else" threads usually start with what amounts to some claim or other, and, either directly or indirectly "discuss".

I personally am all for open dialog and discussion, but am not very much for "<insert statement, Discuss>" threads.

Also, the BEST thing a person can do is "vote with their wallet". Going online to complain about something means very little to any company. People not buying? Means a lot.

I am into sports, and sports teams dont make changes when fans complain. They make changes when fans stop spending money. Someone that doesnt like the product should buy one they do like.
It wasn't a claim it's a fact. Tesla earns significantly more per unit than others while continuing to remove hardware and cost. I love my Jan 21 build MY but if I were looking to buy today I'm not sure I would buy at today's price and config. Does anyone really believe Elon when he says pure vision is better than Lidar and USS. From my experience I know I didn't have a single phantom braking instance until after my lidar was disabled and I was switched to pure vision. There's a road I travel several times a week and at certain times of the day I can't use AP or FSD because the shadows from trees confuse the vision. Keep on squeezing the margins. FWIW not a small part of the stock's current issue is that the company's founder is an insane person who can't keep his mouth shut.

Probably because the OP also feels like:

(in a thread in this subforum, on sunday)

The OP also has a self admitted fixation on ventilated seats. In another very recent thread they started on a kia having better features than a model Y, someone suggested they should buy the kia, and their response was:
Haha, this is an awesome examples of keeping your receipts.

I personally don't think ventilated seats are a big deal. I would much rather have FSD working properly (paid for it on past M3 and current MY) and soft close doors. And keep building out the charging network to include more options at National Parks. Lot's of options out there if just looking for luxury features.

Only answering for myself here, but sometimes threads feel like discussion, and sometimes they feel like "something else". The "something else" threads usually start with what amounts to some claim or other, and, either directly or indirectly "discuss".

I personally am all for open dialog and discussion, but am not very much for "<insert statement, Discuss>" threads.

Also, the BEST thing a person can do is "vote with their wallet". Going online to complain about something means very little to any company. People not buying? Means a lot.

I am into sports, and sports teams dont make changes when fans complain. They make changes when fans stop spending money. Someone that doesnt like the product should buy one they do like.
The problem is responses like that are essentially saying “Tesla is perfect! If you don’t think so you can just leave!” It’s similar to people who say “but tesla has the best charging network.” That may be true, but it doesn’t necessarily compensate for other shortcomings.

In the end they all strike me as people either being so indoctrinated into the Tesla cult or otherwise too insecure to admit that maybe other cars might be better than Teslas in some regards. Why should someone be faulted for liking their car but also wanting it to be better? Why is it unreasonable to question why a car that is making more money than every other make is missing features?

Reactions: YNoVA and bobbyjae
Then go get a Toyota, wtf?

The problem is responses like that are essentially saying “Tesla is perfect! If you don’t think so you can just leave!” It’s similar to people who say “but tesla has the best charging network.” That may be true, but it doesn’t necessarily compensate for other shortcomings.

In the end they all strike me as people either being so indoctrinated into the Tesla cult or otherwise too insecure to admit that maybe other cars might be better than Teslas in some regards. Why should someone be faulted for liking their car but also wanting it to be better? Why is it unreasonable to question why a car that is making more money than every other make is missing features?
Literally this.

Every time I call out Tesla on Nickle and diming its customer I get told to go buy the competitor. Like wtf? Nobody can form an argument anymore, the only answer is to buy a different brand apparently.

The issue isn't ventilated seats; that's just a feature that a lot of people can agree on Tesla should include. It boils down to Tesla making 8x profit, not revenue, PER vehicle compared to Toyota. With that in mind they still want to cost save by removing USS, radar, and not even give us a dedicated rain sensor.

Maybe Toyota could improve their profits if they stopped offering ventilated seats?
"PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent" geez a person this important should be driving a Dodge Stratus.

• Funny
Reactions: UoMDeacon
I had ventilated seats in my F150, they're very nice to have on a hot august afternoon. I wouldn't say they're a deal breaker though. The money I'm saving from the 16mpg truck vs. the Model Y. Is more than enough offset for me.

Literally this.

Every time I call out Tesla on Nickle and diming its customer I get told to go buy the competitor. Like wtf? Nobody can form an argument anymore, the only answer is to buy a different brand apparently.

The issue isn't ventilated seats; that's just a feature that a lot of people can agree on Tesla should include. It boils down to Tesla making 8x profit, not revenue, PER vehicle compared to Toyota. With that in mind they still want to cost save by removing USS, radar, and not even give us a dedicated rain sensor.

Frankly, and to be somewhat blunt, the post you started this thread with, and the one you started the kia thread with, do not come across AT ALL as "calling out nickle and diming".

THIS post, however, is actually one with some opinion and discussion, which I said earlier I think is fine. What is "not fine" to me anyway, is creating a thread with a 1-2 line "X company does Y and tesla cant, discuss" type bent to it.

I also dont particularly like the reverse of what you and @sleepydoc are claiming. Just because people disagree with a point, it doesnt make them either a tesla fanboi, OR a tesla short seller / troll.

On the specific point you are making above, profit per unit vs toyota is somewhat irrelevant to me. If someone sold 5 cars and made 100% profit per unit, it doesnt necessarily mean they have the money left over after expenses to provide something a company that sells 50 million units at 5% profit can. Toyota is either the largest or definitely one of the top 3 largest car manufacturers in the world. They can afford to operate at a much lower profit per unit due to volume.

My personal preference, such as it is, would be tesla raises the price to compensate vs removing things from the vehicle, but the higher the price, the fewer people who can actually buy it, so the price needs to go even higher. Its one of the reasons the earlier model S and X vehicles were so darn expensive comparatively speaking.

All this is a valid discussion, and good talking points (your post I quoted here) Simply posting "Tesla makes 8 times as much as toyota and cant give me ventilated seats" in a one line post though, comes across as "something other than having a dialog", at least to me.

Reactions: CyberGus
Frankly, and to be somewhat blunt, the post you started this thread with, and the one you started the kia thread with, do not come across AT ALL as "calling out nickle and diming".

THIS post, however, is actually one with some opinion and discussion, which I said earlier I think is fine. What is "not fine" to me anyway, is creating a thread with a 1-2 line "X company does Y and tesla cant, discuss" type bent to it.

I also dont particularly like the reverse of what you and @sleepydoc are claiming. Just because people disagree with a point, it doesnt make them either a tesla fanboi, OR a tesla short seller / troll.

On the specific point you are making above, profit per unit vs toyota is somewhat irrelevant to me. If someone sold 5 cars and made 100% profit per unit, it doesnt necessarily mean they have the money left over after expenses to provide something a company that sells 50 million units at 5% profit can. Toyota is either the largest or definitely one of the top 3 largest car manufacturers in the world. They can afford to operate at a much lower profit per unit due to volume.

My personal preference, such as it is, would be tesla raises the price to compensate vs removing things from the vehicle, but the higher the price, the fewer people who can actually buy it, so the price needs to go even higher. Its one of the reasons the earlier model S and X vehicles were so darn expensive comparatively speaking.

All this is a valid discussion, and good talking points (your post I quoted here) Simply posting "Tesla makes 8 times as much as toyota and cant give me ventilated seats" in a one line post though, comes across as "something other than having a dialog", at least to me.
Good points, maybe I get a little too heated when it comes to certain features.

About the profit though... that's what profit is. It's not revenue, profit is the net income after deducting expenses from earnings. That means after everything is said in done, all expenses are paid, Tesla is still making 8x more profit. I just want to know why Tesla is continuing down the path of removing features and increasing their cost cutting measures.