Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla making changes to inventory car purchase process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm finding that with the new policy Tesla has also started getting more active on higher-end trades. Not just Auto Nation, anymore. I bring it up because these discounts can actually provoke the trades, which can also work in their's and the customer's favor. It all breaks down if a competitive bid for your trade isn't provided. Once done, an inventory car can be used to pull a person off the fence. So much goes into getting people to commit, that they must be discovering how time limits on all these things can really help their process.

Last edited:
The AutoNation "quote" I got for my 2010 BMW Z4 with low miles and in garaged/excellent condition was 30% BELOW the "Dealer trade in value" on the used car sites (NADA, KBB, Galves, Blackbook, etc). It wasn't even CLOSE to the dealer trade-in values. It's like they're bottom feeding on people who really don't care about money and just want to trade-in/trade-up their current cars without any hassle. It's highway robbery, really.

The AutoNation "quote" I got for my 2010 BMW Z4 with low miles and in garaged/excellent condition was 30% BELOW the "Dealer trade in value" on the used car sites (NADA, KBB, Galves, Blackbook, etc). It wasn't even CLOSE to the dealer trade-in values. It's like they're bottom feeding on people who really don't care about money and just want to trade-in/trade-up their current cars without any hassle. It's highway robbery, really.

Similar situation on a cheaper car. I got quoted $3800 on a 2006 Civic Si in OK condition. Sold in two days on Craigslist for over $6k. AutoNation called a few weeks later and asked if I'd take $3500 for it. I told him what I sold it for and the guy flipped out, and I'm pretty sure he thought I was lying. I don't know why, ones in similar condition were listed constantly at $7k and being sold. I realize they want to make some money, but sometimes they're not even in the right ballpark.

Glad Tesla's changing up the way this works. I think I've already benefited from it. I got a loaner at Sunnyvale last week, where they previously had none at all. So there's hope.

I agree! They offered me a really lowball offer for my 2010 BMW X6 that's fully loaded and in excellent condition! I might just keep it and sell it myself, because it would sell for $45,000 on a dealer lot. Oh, and it has 2 more years and/or 60,000 miles of warranty left!

What is the new policy? Are there other options to trade the car now?

When I got my P85+ last month they were running a pilot program in Texas where they solicit bids from 4 dealers for the trade in. I was trading in a 2012 Ford Boss 302. The top bid was right at "excellent trade-in" value according to NADA & KBB and I accepted that bid. Very smooth transaction, I just drove my old car to the SC and drove home in the Tesla. Tesla took care of all the paperwork. The bill of sale reflected the trade in value so I only had to pay sales tax on the difference.

If you are a serious buyer, the sales guys should be able to search the inventory database with you. Your best bet would have been to do it a week ago to get a good deal for year end by today. Hopefully you can get a similar deal that others have gotten on inventory cars in 2015. Try for your best deal in mid March.

What is the process for acquiring an inventory car? Guy at local showroom said he'd keep me in mind if he sees something come up, but is there any more reliable way to get notified if something becomes available?

It sounds like to me, from that response, that that particular sales associated didn't quite understand the process. I bought an inventory car, and maybe the inventory of demo/loaner cars is very thin right now because of end-of-year deals and the new model pipeline, but when I bought mine in Feb'14.. there was a long list of available inventory cars, several in the colors I was looking for, with differing option packages. It's a nationwide list, so if he said there was nothing available at all, I find that kinda curious. I find it hard to believe that nationwide, there isn't one inventory car available. My sales associate was very interactive with me -- I told her the colors/options I was looking for, and she sent me lists of all the cars that met those criteria. I'd suggest going back and talking to a manager or someone else who knows how the system works. Yes, even Tesla sales associates can be mis-and-uninformed. I've seen it several times myself.

Thanks bonaire and HankLloydRight. My briefness may not have done the sales rep justice -- we need AWD so I am only interested in the S85D. The rep didn't think any of those would be available as inventory until at least February but said he'd keep an eye out for me. I was just wondering if there's any way to get alerts rather than have someone have to remember to check the system periodically. I am torn between buying now and guaranteeing late March delivery, or taking my chances to get an inventory car in February. I assume (and find it entirely reasonable) that if I confirm my order for March, they won't let me switch it to an inventory car that becomes available after mine is in production.

Ah, ok, that makes more sense then. I'm not aware of any automated system to find inventory cars... your best bet is to just call once a week and ask them to check. It's probably going to be a while until AWD inventory cars hit the list. Last year TM instituted a "3 month wait" until demo/loaner cars could be eligible for the inventory list. I wouldn't be surprised if that gets increased to a 4 or 6 month wait for AWD cars.

Maybe he was thinking some of the P85Ds would be in the S85D price range after 3 months of use on inventory (that wouldn't fit the 1%/mo-$1/mi rule, but maybe he wasn't doing the math). That would obey the 3 month wait rule, with their December cars being sellable in February.

There may be some inventory S85D in March. There will be more in June as more and more are made for demo/loaner/spec. I would much rather have an S85D over an S85 and clearly I do not need performance so I think S85D is a good choice especially after the new software is out for the idling of a motor. With motor idling, an MS60D actually would have done well too. But I suspect as the Model 3 gets closer, MS60 will start to get less interest.